HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:48 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,833 Posts
Ain't that the truth!
One by one gettin it done. One more task down. The belly pan has been glassed. Well sorta. I don't use fiberglass, I use polyester fabric as well as polyester finishing resin. A nuch more flexible technique for these airframes. IMHO
ace4rc is online now Find More Posts by ace4rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:17 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,374 Posts
ace thats pretty interesting, I use WBP! but never thought about actualy using poly cloth!

thats looks pretty sweet, I assume that the polly is relitivaly easy to work with?
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:28 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,833 Posts
I have for years drooled over many an airframe at Top Gun, Florida Jets, and Monster planes. But one thing that always got me was why they use glass, many a number of the planes would have stress crack's in the glass. So one day I made up a test wing and used Koverall with finishing resin. It was extremely flexible and would not crack. And the really cool thing is in this flexing if a wrinkle came up from extreme flex, a bit of heat and it would dissapear. So for years now, I have used polyester fabric and resin. Work's for me.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:34 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,374 Posts
learn someting new everyday!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:05 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4rc View Post
I have for years drooled over many an airframe at Top Gun, Florida Jets, and Monster planes. But one thing that always got me was why they use glass, many a number of the planes would have stress crack's in the glass. So one day I made up a test wing and used Koverall with finishing resin. It was extremely flexible and would not crack. And the really cool thing is in this flexing if a wrinkle came up from extreme flex, a bit of heat and it would dissapear. So for years now, I have used polyester fabric and resin. Work's for me.
If there aren't any cracks in the cover on a model Pitts Special it just isn't Scale enough! I split paint all over mine, especially if they had stock metal covered leading edges. In the slipstream of the prop's tips and in the prop blast area there were nails coming through the fabric and a lot of stressed out fabric finishes in IAC competition.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:12 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,833 Posts
That is not what I mean. I'm talking about something like a Corsair with crack's in the middle of the gull wing. Too much flex on hard landings for the glass.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:47 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,316 Posts
Oh, I see. Fibreglass cloth covering the balsa sheeting or planking.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:53 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,833 Posts
You got it!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:54 AM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,833 Posts
I have been wondering where my order of little stuff is, screws, bolts, push rods, fuel line, etc.etc.etc
Well, looking through my order history for a packed and ship date I realised, I have not ordered anything. DUH!! It'll never get here.
So, I just placed an order with an in state supplier which has one day shipping.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:00 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,833 Posts
I was kinda talked into trying an arrow for a pushrod. Now that I have made one I must say kool, I likey. Light and strong.
By the way, my supplies came in this evening.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:18 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,833 Posts
Trying to make these cable shackles and after giving the pianno wire a go, not happening. Can't braze that small. So I formed some out of brass, not to bad.
But I may order some from Aircraft Spruce, only thing is they are 14 bucks a piece, plus shipping. Of course I could go ahead and order the covering to help with the shiping. Pics are mine and AS's.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:11 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,833 Posts
Not much done the weekend and all that. I have managed to get the cowl rough cut and it fit's real well. Now to figure out what to use to re-route the exhaust. It is too far forward like mentioned before it has to be ran to the rear of the cowl for the exit. I cut the drop pipe to one inch, red arrow. And need it to exit at the green arrow. Thinking about plumbing or A/C copper tube.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:31 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,374 Posts
that engine looks like it was made for that plane!

you get the exuast worked out, and its gonna be sweet!

that is a sweet looking cowel by the way!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:50 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,833 Posts
Thank's WK. I'll get the exhaust oriented, not sure what method. FS makes some nice glass parts. This one has a few issues to deal with you just can't see them in that pic. Take a better look. It won't take much to fill those. And this is the first from Fiberglass Specialties that I had any issues with.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:47 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,374 Posts
I have only heard great things about FS!

must have been a stubbern one coming out of the mold!

atleast the shape is nice, I have full faith that you will makr it better!
RCG Plus Member