HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:33 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Needles to say now, but I have set the top wing and epoxied the cabane mount blocks.
Is there any reason to keep posting on this thread. I don't feel like anyone is here?
ace4rc is offline Find More Posts by ace4rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:43 PM
United States, TX, Webster
Joined Feb 2009
561 Posts
Robert I am following on both. But have not posted much here so as not to clutter the thread with duplication
Your build is a treasure trove of info and techniques.

Ken
greyflight390 is online now Find More Posts by greyflight390
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:45 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,000 Posts
ya what he said! I'm still with ya Ace
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ghosts of airplanes past!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:16 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Well thanks guys and lets add a mistake to the trove.
When getting the wing set so I could epoxy the cabane strut blocks it took quite some time. I just realized why. I don't know how, well I do actually, I got the wing mounts for the cabanes offset by 3/16th of an inch. So I just pulled it apart. I will redo the cabane mounts tomorrow and the have a do over with the cabane block setting.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:27 PM
Joined Feb 2009
561 Posts
Robert
I am just trying to pick your brain here a bit.
Is the fuse fastened to that brown piece of wood and thus aligned to the work bench?
It looks like it from the pic.
I assume that first it was necessary to get the fuse dead on to the work surface and that then gave a you reference surface for the rest.

I have a hard enough time just getting one wing aligned, and a course the tail feathers and engine all in correct alignment.
A bibe has to be several times harder.

Ken
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:53 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Ken the fuse is not attached to the brown thing, a cigar box. All my measurement and such is based on the fuse and wing. Although it is all plumb with the table. The bracket is out and dowels are glued in. Will reinstall the bracket and all tomorrow.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:56 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
By the way guys, I like interaction. It helps me clear my head sometimes. You know those times when your doing something and someone ask a question and in the process of answering you go "Oh shoot" and go fix something.
Well I do that.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:34 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,000 Posts
missed it by that much!

ya took me all day ta get my cabains done right! I even made a jig so as to keep everything centered!

atleast you caught it now!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ghosts of airplanes past!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Feb 2009
561 Posts
Yeah I do that with the wife a lot. Show her something and even if I don't fully agree with her or just to lazy to fully follow her suggestion, at least it clears the thought process and approach it from a different angle.

Oh crap what the heck am I saying here. We all know the wife's are always 100% correct and there ain't no other way to do it but theirs.

Sometimes I have here hold the bird I am building so I can take a pic and even that interaction will show the next step or method.

As a side note I really enjoy doing a build thread, not that I am good enough to impart much knowledge to other board members, but the thread is fun. And often times provides the answers I need to get through a difficult part of the build.

When I was in San Diego and had a garage my buddies would come over And we each might work on our on projects, Stopping to help each other as needed.

Now I live in a small apartment and am using the little spare bedroom to build in. Building on a card table at that. So these forums add the interaction with others that really liven up a build.

Ken
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:18 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
I could not take it. I just had to redo it while it was freash in my head. Pretty much perfect now.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:20 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Ken my wifes the same, 100% correct, at least untill she leaves the room.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:51 AM
Joined Feb 2009
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4rc View Post
Ken my wifes the same, 100% correct, at least untill she leaves the room.
Hahaha ain't that the truth

Ken
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:58 AM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
We went looking for a new microwave Friday right. She's all this and that with the sales associate, and of course I'm yes dear, yes dear, then she walks over to look at something else. This is where I tell the sales associate to give me this one or else its coming back and I will not be happy when I bring it back. Reason is because I know what size the hole it has to go in is and she wants the bigger, better, newest bling.
Guess which one I installed yesterday.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:42 AM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
After redoing everything last night I decided not to glue the blocks in untill this morning. So after looking it over with some fresh eyes I glued them in. So it is almost done. Still have to bolt the cabanes to the block's but that's a simple task
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:27 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
The cabanes have been bolted up and I have been working on the struts. They consist of two outer plies and a center ply. The center ply is formed around the ply that comes out of the wings. That center ply is complete so the rest should be a walk in the park. But the outer plies will have to wait until tomorrow when I go and get some more plywood.