HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:28 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,817 Posts
Ace, that lady is looking good ! I had almost forgotten just how light she is on her feet.
You should take some pride in your build-that is well done,friend.

A couple of bare naked lady pics would be welcomed in the "show your naked wood" thread when you assemble it later,before covering.

I like structure !
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:12 AM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,860 Posts
Thank's Earl. I'll try and remember to do that. We have an event here called "Planes,Trains, and Automobiles". My club is part host to and I like to take a fully framed up with everything installed, ready to fly minus the covering, airframe to. I love to see peoples reactions to what actually goes into one of these planes.
ace4rc is offline Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:13 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,817 Posts
The AIR FORCE MUSEUM in Dover,Delaware is finishing up a CG-4a Glider,with one side covered and painted,the other fully exposed....What a great idea ! "you couldn't get me in that thing" is the phrase mostly overheard.,followed by 'what craftsmanship !'
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:24 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,860 Posts
Here's a shot of what I'm doing. The belly pan has been mounted, red arrows a dowel, yellow is a 4-40 into wing. The black arrows show how I use tape to get the contour for the balsa sheet.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:10 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,860 Posts
Ok, I have one side on the pan on. Just a little tid bit on what helps hold balsa from springing back from a curved point. The black arrows denote where a 1/4" wide strip of 1/64 crosses the pan from side to side, the ply gets tack glued to the pan as each side goes on. The red arrows are where on the inside of the pan a small nylon cord will attach to the inside wall and the yellow arrows are where that cord will attach at the other end inside the pan. These little attachment cords hold the wall from slowly returning to original shape because the inside is hollow on account of the gear wire and gear blocks.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:59 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,860 Posts
Woo Hoo! The belly pan is done. Tomorrow I will sand the fuse so I can install the lumber for the fuse panel's to attach to and start making the panels.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:15 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,860 Posts
The fuse has been sanded, the stabilizer and fin have been sanded as well and installed. While that is drying I can get the rudder and elevator sanded.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:32 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,860 Posts
I have got a little bit done since the last post. The tailfeathers are finished, The balsa around the cockpit is installed. And the paper templates for the 1/64 ply has been cut and readyt for the aluminum. I have to finish sanding the top wing and mount it before I can make the fuse panels. That will ensure the best fit around the cabanes.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:22 AM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,860 Posts
Been workin on the wing bolt area. The current set up requires a 2-1/4" bolt. I installed a new ply bolt plate as seen in red. This willreduce the bolt length to 1". And also gives me a good point for an alignment dowel.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:31 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,417 Posts
are you bolting from the top or the bottom? just curious.

don't forget to pin that bolt plate!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:42 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,860 Posts
Whisky the wing is pinned from the bottom as seen in the first pic. Then the belly pan goes on and covers the gear wire and wing bolts as seen in the second pic. And the new plate is pinned with two 1/16 dowels on each side.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:57 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,417 Posts
thanks ACE, not shure how I missed that earlier, I do remember you saying something about changing the wing mounting!

that turned out super clean! keep it up!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:54 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,860 Posts
Thank's WK. And it's super easy to assemble as well.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:24 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,860 Posts
I have got the bottom center of the top wing sheeted along with the cabane mount's. When all that dries will do the other side.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:31 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,860 Posts
Red arrow is center support for incedence. Yellow is for strut support to stop any twist. Green is for holding the wing horizontally level. The blue is for an even distance LE to LE. And the black is the same as the blue but for tip to tip.