HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Dec 2012
45 Posts
Foxtech vtx modded to work w devo f7

Oioioi you are the man! I just soldered the 4th bx pad and now have solid video from my foxtech 400mw to my walkera devo f7! Lets see if. Can beat my 325m of solid video with a 200mw.
centralfornia is offline Find More Posts by centralfornia
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:03 PM
Joined Apr 2009
188 Posts
Unfortunately, physics says, you won't get that much further. In theory, you should now get sqrt(2)=1.4 times further away than before.
BTW: Do you orient the video antenna correctly on your F7 when flying (upwards or downwards)?
OiOi is offline Find More Posts by OiOi
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Dec 2012
45 Posts
I point the foxtech skew planar up towards the sky on my f7. On my plane the clover leaf is pointed up as well. Should i change the antenna orientation on either one? Today I was Able to fly FPV solely screen on the f7 at ranges over 500 m without the reception breaking up! I really like the ease and portability of the f7 system I grab my craft and my devo f7 and am FPV'ing without any base stations wires or multiple batteries! I am really excited about pushing the limits of what I thought was only fly able at 30m .
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:09 AM
Joined Apr 2009
188 Posts
No, then your antenna orientation is correct. Wish you nice FPV flying !

Yeah, it's really a bummer, that the stock antenna placement of the F7 is so terrible. I bet they will sooner or later bring out a F7pro or something like this with this issue fixed (which should never have happened...). Maybe they even put a SPW-Antenna on it for VRX so that in the end, it will look like yours now.
For the price of the F7, I would really expect something like that from Walkera in the first time.
Last edited by OiOi; Feb 19, 2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:26 AM
Nederland, Gelderland, Wijchen
Joined Aug 2005
85 Posts
I am actualy thinking about putting my rc305 inside my devo7 , to have it all in one package, or would I have a lot of signal loss with the TX antenna being zo close?
Wartexx is offline Find More Posts by Wartexx
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:25 AM
Joined Dec 2012
45 Posts
I am top really disappointed with the factory form. I believe walkera did this so they could continue to use the same mold as their other transmitter layouts?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:34 AM
Belle Chasse Southern, Louisiana, United States
Joined Apr 2002
877 Posts
I have a 305 that is on band A from the factory (has a resistor on pin 8)
What would I have to do to make it switchable between band A & band E?

Thanks,
Randy
Flyingfool is offline Find More Posts by Flyingfool
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:54 AM
Joined Apr 2009
188 Posts
Quote:
I believe walkera did this so they could continue to use the same mold as their other transmitter layouts?
First I thought the same. But they surely have a completely different front plastic mold, due to the display. It could only be, that they have the same backside mold, and wanted to safe a bit money on that.
But even then, if I were Walkera, I would have just made it like you. Just make an antenna Plug on the outside of the casing. That is a dead simple and cheap solution, and increases the usability of this transmitter a manyfold! Even if they then would just include a rubber ducky for it, everybody could easily replace it with some other antenna.

Quote:
I have a 305 that is on band A from the factory (has a resistor on pin 8)
Hmm, if only your Pin 8 (BX) has a resistor, then you have a "B"-band module. For "A"-band, there will also be a resistor on the Pin 48 (S).

Quote:
What would I have to do to make it switchable between band A & band E?
Exactly the same, as the mod I described for the RC305 with preset "E"-Band.
The only difference would be, that you first desolder the resistor(s) on the channel selection pins.
If you only want to be able to select between "A" and "E", then you can just solder a wire to every selection pin, as described, but then solder both wires to the unused 4th dip-switch. Like that both selection pins are either "1" or "0" (Band E or A).
Last edited by OiOi; Feb 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:19 AM
Belle Chasse Southern, Louisiana, United States
Joined Apr 2002
877 Posts
I know for sure it is band A and it may have the resistor on pin 48 too as I am not home to check right now.

So having the two wires from the pins (pin 8 & pin 48) together won't cause any problems?

Thanks for the info! now to see if I can destroy my receiver with my bad ass eye sight.

Randy
Flyingfool is offline Find More Posts by Flyingfool
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined Apr 2009
188 Posts
Quote:
So having the two wires from the pins (pin 8 & pin 48) together won't cause any problems?
Nope, these are just logic inputs of the RTC.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2005
85 Posts
Have been flying around today without any problems:P Took a while to get the fail safe off btw... First I put the throttle to save L100 (-100%) , but that kept the engines running at a quite low speed , so it wouldn't fall down immediately. As I am afraid to burn the engines when it lands in the grass, still turning, I tried to get it to switch of completely. After a few tries, I found out that the 0 position for throttle was actualy right... Have been flying arround happily sinds then, flying arround our chimney and landing on roofs ^^. Only problem I have found is, the cg. Because of the added cloverleaf, the cg isn't in the center anymore. I have tried replacing the battery , but doesn't seem to work. When I give it full throttle, it pulls to one side... otherwise it flies great... The added weight of the 610 battery does seem to make it more stable though
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:09 AM
Joined Apr 2009
188 Posts
What are your flight times like that?

BTW: I just realized that I didn't mention, that the TX5805 camera has the same lense mount (1/4") as the 808 #16 V2. So the 808 #16 V2 D Lens is a direct replacement without any fiddling needed for having a wide angle option (which I strongly recommend!).
Maybe it has already been mentioned. But just for completeness reasons I mention it (again).
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:43 AM
Need more props..........
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2013
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiOi View Post
What are your flight times like that?

BTW: I just realized that I didn't mention, that the TX5805 camera has the same lense mount (1/4") as the 808 #16 V2. So the 808 #16 V2 D Lens is a direct replacement without any fiddling needed for having a wide angle option (which I strongly recommend!).
Maybe it has already been mentioned. But just for completeness reasons I mention it (again).
That's fantastic news. Flying my TX5805 around the house and yard last weekend would have been a lot less nerve wracking if the FOV was wider!
Oso Grande is online now Find More Posts by Oso Grande
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:03 AM
Joined Aug 2005
85 Posts
Indeed great news! Will have a look for a lens tonight,
any idea where you can buy them?

My flight times are 8-9 minutes, havent acurately measured it.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:55 AM
Joined Apr 2009
188 Posts
Just search for "Lens D Module" on ebay. It costs $12 incl shipping.
Unfortunately they don't just sell the lens alone, but only incl the camera and the keychain casing...
BTW: The lens of the 808 camera is glued to the camera. The easiest way to get it off, is to put some CA-Debonder on the place, where the glue is, wait a few minutes, then you can easily screw it off. But then first clean the thread, before screwing it into the TX5805 cam.