HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by caymin last, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:53 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
489 Posts
Build Log
Uncle fred's shop truck

Well a couple yrs ago I thought it would be fun to build a Photobooth/backdrop of sorts to take pics of my rc projects, custom scale RC trucks that is, instead of posting pics of my pride and joy sitting atop some laundry machine or kitchen counter. It started as two walls with a workbench, but with not being able to leave good enough alone things happened. I found that there were'nt many 1/10th scale goodies, tools, shop equipment and the like readily available, so I attempted to fabricate some. There were some scraps of sheet styrene on my bench and I started sticking bits together and shaping, carving, sanding ect. and before long i had made a miniature copy of my bench vise, then a bench grinder and so on.
Without any concious intention the little workshop seemed to take on a life of it's own, my youngest son mentioned that it would be cool to have a mechanic figure to pose with the RC projects, so on the next trip to the toy store I picked up a trio of action figures. I customized one of the figures by carving and sanding some of his facial features and adding spectacles, Uncle Fred was created, with the others I swapped heads and limbs obtained (with permission) from my sons collection, then Charlie and Vinny came to be.
I tried giving them distinct personalities, and incorporated them into the project builds just for fun.
My third project with this setup "Uncle Fred's shop truck", after sitting idle for more than a year, I decided it's about time to get this project completed, I try to fabricate as much of the parts needed as possible, but without access to any high tech equipment or tools, apart from a Dremel, electric drill, handtools and a very basic brazing rig, it comes down to a sort of 'trial and error' engineering.

Some of you might think I'm crazy, but it turns out I'm not, my wife had me tested!

The un-completed truck, was taken apart, rust, grime and dust cleaned off and a fresh coat of paint sprayed on all the required parts, the shop was also fixed up a bit with some new scale equipment ect.

Fred's truck shop....
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:51 AM
into the wild blue yonder
United States, OR, Dundee
Joined Dec 2010
639 Posts
very creative...way to go...
Barney Boy is offline Find More Posts by Barney Boy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:33 AM