Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:02 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
Oh dear is that the Gening servos?

Mike
Im not sure how good they are. I had one that initially had a bit of an oscillation on the return to centre , but seemed to cure itself after some testing on the tester. Was gonna send it back but it cleared up.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Oct 2012
473 Posts
Thought I would report back on how the motor is holding up after being epoxied back onto the ESC board. I hit the gym floor hard a couple times today and the epoxy is holding no problem. I have the new motor as a backup but not sure if I'll ever need it. Unless I order another mini as backup. But then again this mini seems almost indestructible. Damn fun plane to fly!
PlaneButcher is offline Find More Posts by PlaneButcher
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:43 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
Thats real tough luck Kris. What servos do you have?
Quote:
Oh dear is that the Gening servos?

Mike
I went with the Genings digital servo's.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:34 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
...on closer inspection the elevator servo only now move's in a downward direction and even then it keeps locking up so looks like the servo is toast already.
Bad luck. I feel your pain!

Soon after building mine I started having problems with the aileron servo. Upon inspection I found there was a crusty bit of CA glue on the z-bend that was stopping it from moving completely freely. I scraped this off with an xacto blade and loosened up the hinges some more. Surprisingly it flew fine after doing this despite the fact I thought I'd stripped the servo.

My aileron servo did finally give up last week. I've now replaced it using dry UHU Por on the servo and the hole where it fits. It seems to hold well and will make it really easy if I ever need to replace the servo.

BTW, I've been trying one of the Desire Power 35C 300mAh batteries from ElectricWingman. It seems to hold its voltage a lot better than the Nanos (which really don't like the cold). Maybe you could add a few of these you your order.

Good luck!
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:32 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,031 Posts
Thats a shame, so far those servos have been great in my Mini. Maybe I will have to order some spares in case, seems like there are no bargains after all
Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:34 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
Bad luck. I feel your pain!

Soon after building mine I started having problems with the aileron servo. Upon inspection I found there was a crusty bit of CA glue on the z-bend that was stopping it from moving completely freely. I scraped this off with an xacto blade and loosened up the hinges some more. Surprisingly it flew fine after doing this despite the fact I thought I'd stripped the servo.

My aileron servo did finally give up last week. I've now replaced it using dry UHU Por on the servo and the hole where it fits. It seems to hold well and will make it really easy if I ever need to replace the servo.

BTW, I've been trying one of the Desire Power 35C 300mAh batteries from ElectricWingman. It seems to hold its voltage a lot better than the Nanos (which really don't like the cold). Maybe you could add a few of these you your order.

Good luck!
There in no CA crud on the z-bends or control rods Jamie all the surface's move freely i always check this from past experience's
Will give the dry Por ago on the replacement servo. You were right about the E6000 though... when the servo locked up the Mini it came down pretty hard on its nose, usual you would expect some damage... a torn piece off EPP or some crumble damage, but there was no damage at all .... awesome stuff hehe
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:42 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Thats a shame, so far those servos have been great in my Mini. Maybe I will have to order some spares in case, seems like there are no bargains after all
Mike
I have ordered another Genings Mike maybe i just got a bad one, so lets see what happens ? if another one goes it will be Hitecs all round for me.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:45 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,640 Posts
Kris, where did you add the e6000 on the model? Just around the nose quarters?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:15 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Kris, where did you add the e6000 on the model? Just around the nose quarters?
Around the nose area... landing gear and the top of the fuse area where you carry it,also on the tail and wing ends basically any part that is vulnerable and has the potential to touch on impact.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:37 AM
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
I've been using the gening servos in my mini for a month or so. About 300 flights so far with no problems.
Really liking them so far.

Danny.
Mr Moff is offline Find More Posts by Mr Moff
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:25 PM
It's the Crack
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Feb 2013
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
There are some (batteries) on the Twisted Site that are the perfect size. Any thing from a 180mAh to 250mAh 2s pack will work, and for those thinking about 3s... not necessary, the power combo motor rocks on the 250mAh 2s packs and 7x3.5prop.
cdee
Even though outside of recommendations, I don't mind flying it at all on Nanotech 35-70c 300mah lipo's. I did need to move the CG slightly further back by putting in the battery lengthwise. I think it's pretty good, although I may be slightly forward.

Planning to do a v2 of this one, because I have quite a bit of CA on the nose so far, the CG is probably moving a tad forward

Peter
peterdawolf is offline Find More Posts by peterdawolf
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:52 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,640 Posts
I weighed my Hyperion 2s that I have from the crack yak.
My question is, is this going to he too heavy to use on the mini?
My total weight would be then be 98g of which 30g would be the battery.
Anyone fly the mini outdoors at this weight? How is it?
Cheers,
Jimbo.

30g Hyperion by slopeflyer12, on Flickr
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:54 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
I weighed my Hyperion 2s that I have from the crack yak.
My total weight would be then be 98g.
Anyone fly the mini outdoors at this weight?
I have some of these but didnt try then due to there weight.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:02 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,071 Posts
Quote:
The motor and ESC would be able to take it and you'd have plenty of power. There's a guy on here who swears by 450s on the Mini, but it makes the wing loading too high for my taste.
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:28 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
958 Posts
The Mini is such a great flying airplane... bunch of videos today. Going to post three on the blog but here is one for the Mini thread. Hope everyone had a good time this weekend!

CRAZY COOL 3D INDOOR MINI 031613 (4 min 16 sec)

I need a Twisted 100CC that flies like this and then we're all set
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Twisted Hobbys 39" Crack Yak