HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:11 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishawhunk View Post
Nice 3 blade prop! I put a 10grams motor on mine but havent tested it yet.

BTW I got my refund from the motor I returned to Robotbirds. I wont be using them or BRC Hobbies again as A Sethi owns them both. Have bought from RB from mnay years and there is no loyality from their customers, and I bought a fair bit from him too! Ah well his lose.

h Well his lose.
Think the 10 will do better than that 5 you had on there. Got two 10g motors one on a mini flrefly and the other on a 22" yak they put good with a 6x3 prop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Naa no chance of that, I don't like skinny chicks

How skinny you planing to go on your mini Avie?
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:17 PM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,446 Posts
[QUOTE=KamikazePilot;23991862]Think the 10 will do better than that 5 you had on there. Got two 10g motors one on a mini flrefly and the other on a 22" yak they put good with 6x3

I changed it kam from a 5g to a 15g. The reason I got the 5g was because the info on the RB site, then to find out it the figuers was way off. The 15g I felt was a little heavy and inverted was very difficult. I am hoping this is 3rd time lucky with the 10gram motor ;-)
wishawhunk is offline Find More Posts by wishawhunk
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:31 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,766 Posts
Started the build yesterday Did about 4 hours. I'd say I'm about 50% done I'm nearly 100% sure this'll be ready for Saturday!

The build is going very nicely! The motor works, all the airframe parts fit together nicely, etc.. The only thing I'll say is that the HS-5035HD servos are just a tad on the small side. I've dabbed a little bit of CA onto all three of them just to reduce the amount of wobble. I've also wedged a small bit of card inbetween the sides of the aileron servo and slot to stop any slipping. One good thing I've noticed about these servos is that as they come with a very very long servo arm as well as other shorter ones, for the ailerons I can just use the Hitec one without gluing any wood piece on Only thing I've noticed is that this arm is a tad thicker than the kit's wooden one. Hopefully it'll accept the linkage. If not I'll just dremel it thinner I really like the size of this plane; perfect for where I fly Can't wait to give it a go
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:47 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,385 Posts
I understand that you have to do full throttle and 0 throttle to get the motor to run to max throttle. I have done that, but during flight I have to go to 0 throttle every time to get it to go to full throttle....Confusing, I know. It will start to lose power, and if I don't throttle the stick all the way down, it won't go to max throttle. What am I missing? Also, one of my landing gear struts finally broke. I ended up taking them both off, and putting on some round carbon tube with wheels. Be a bit heavier now though.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:04 PM
United States, SD, Worthing
Joined Jul 2008
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
I understand that you have to do full throttle and 0 throttle to get the motor to run to max throttle. I have done that, but during flight I have to go to 0 throttle every time to get it to go to full throttle....Confusing, I know. It will start to lose power, and if I don't throttle the stick all the way down, it won't go to max throttle. What am I missing? Also, one of my landing gear struts finally broke. I ended up taking them both off, and putting on some round carbon tube with wheels. Be a bit heavier now though.

J
Sounds like a weak battery.
ericrcpilot is offline Find More Posts by ericrcpilot
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:47 PM
United States, NY, Dansville
Joined Jul 2010
44 Posts
For the aileron servo, you still want to glue the provided wood one on to the Hitec arm, even if you don't need the length because it provides differential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Started the build yesterday Did about 4 hours. I'd say I'm about 50% done I'm nearly 100% sure this'll be ready for Saturday!

The build is going very nicely! The motor works, all the airframe parts fit together nicely, etc.. The only thing I'll say is that the HS-5035HD servos are just a tad on the small side. I've dabbed a little bit of CA onto all three of them just to reduce the amount of wobble. I've also wedged a small bit of card inbetween the sides of the aileron servo and slot to stop any slipping. One good thing I've noticed about these servos is that as they come with a very very long servo arm as well as other shorter ones, for the ailerons I can just use the Hitec one without gluing any wood piece on Only thing I've noticed is that this arm is a tad thicker than the kit's wooden one. Hopefully it'll accept the linkage. If not I'll just dremel it thinner I really like the size of this plane; perfect for where I fly Can't wait to give it a go
Maylon is offline Find More Posts by Maylon
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:57 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylon View Post
For the aileron servo, you still want to glue the provided wood one on to the Hitec arm, even if you don't need the length because it provides differential.
Actually, it removes the differential induced by the aileron angle at the back of the wing.

It makes the servo arm intersect the control rod at a 90* angle as well as the ailreon control horn to control rod.

The result is equal aileron travel up and down which is 0* differential.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:54 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrcpilot View Post
Sounds like a weak battery.
No, it does it on all my new thunder power batteries.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:42 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
I've just been fondling my RTR very cute wee thing, my smallest motor so far.
How are you getting on getting the gear together Kris?
No mate going to see what you get then do the same Still cant find the motor/esc instock in the UK
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:40 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Actually, it removes the differential induced by the aileron angle at the back of the wing.

It makes the servo arm intersect the control rod at a 90* angle as well as the ailreon control horn to control rod.

JC
Thanks for the help!

Do you guys think it's enough of a problem to warrant me cutting out the servo and then putting on the kit arm? I don't think I'll be able to take the arm off without yanking the servo out of its slot. Stupid me has already stuck the servo in with some uhu por and CA, so I'd have to cut the foam, haha!

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:58 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
I don't think I'll be able to take the arm off without yanking the servo out of its slot. Stupid me has already stuck the servo in with some uhu por and CA, so I'd have to cut the foam, haha!
Can't you push the foam aside to get at the servo screw? Failing that you could enlarge the hole slightly so you can get to it.
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:15 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
Can't you push the foam aside to get at the servo screw? Failing that you could enlarge the hole slightly so you can get to it.
Didn't think of that Thanks! When I get home I'll have a look and see what I can do!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:36 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,501 Posts
I don't see why you wouldn't be able too. When I built mine I didn't add the arm till after I got the servo in. Looking forward to what you can do with the wee beastie Francis.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:51 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post

JC
I wondered what all of those "curved" servo horns were about and now that you have explained it I think I get part of it but not all of it. I guess ideally the servo arm would interact with the surface control horn at exactly 90 through out it's travel but since it is going in an arc and it is hard to get the angle at 90 because of most plane designs it can't do that and the differential arm design tries to take as much of that out as possible. Is that anywhere close to right?
Is that why on my DX6i and DX8 there is an adjustment for Differential or is that about something else?
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:56 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
I don't see why you wouldn't be able too. When I built mine I didn't add the arm till after I got the servo in. Looking forward to what you can do with the wee beastie Francis.
Sounds good then!

Thanks, really can't wait to fly it! It's such a nice size
RCG Plus Member