SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:53 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Nice work James !
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:59 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
My other half was supposed to be picking up my parcel from the post office today, I get home from work and she's only gone and forgoten it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
I'm using the 300 nanos, which give me a good 5 minutes of flight time. They come down warm but not hot at the end of a flight. I guess this indicates their 35-70C rating is a bit of a joke.

Given that the 300s end up warm, I wonder how the 180s would hold up. Is anyone using 180s on their Mini? What brand/C rating are you using?
C ratings are a joke most the time. The only way to tell is by the figures you get from them. I've got an IR meter that's the dog's danglies for gauging how well a lipo will perform and how much you can ask of them without ruining them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
I got a few Hyperion 180's been good lipos in the past which i will give a go going to get some 300 nanos as well.
Hyperion is the other option, a good bit more expensive but if they perform better which they are supposed to it might be worth it. The Rolls Royce of Hyperions come from RCBABBLE in the states but would be about 11 quid a shot. The are hand assembled from bare Hyperion cells, IR's matched and finished with his special light weight heat shrink. They are supposed to be fantastic but at that sort of money they'd have to be. I think you might be able to avoid VAT on them though. Compared to stock Hyperions in the UK at about 7 quid or the Nano's at less than 3 quid a pop I might have to draw the line on weight saving. I might stretch to a couple of stock Hyperion 180's and 240's so I can make a comparison though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Well, good news everyone, my motor arrived
Glad you got it, is it built yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrini View Post
Here's a quick vid of me flying in my backyard.
Nice those tree's looked like they're ready to pounce
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:10 PM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
RcBabble hahaaa he is a top bloke and a bloody good laugh
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:55 PM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
C ratings are a joke most the time. The only way to tell is by the figures you get from them. I've got an IR meter that's the dog's danglies for gauging how well a lipo will perform and how much you can ask of them without ruining them.
Which IR meter do you have? There's one built into my iCharger, but I'm not sure I trust the numbers it comes up with for small batteries.
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:33 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
Which IR meter do you have? There's one built into my iCharger, but I'm not sure I trust the numbers it comes up with for small batteries.
It's this one I've got, built by an RCG member by hand and individually calibrated. I've done a couple of mods on it with the makers guidance that allow it to test smaller packs with greater accuracy and also test single cells. The ESR meter as it's called(effective serial resistance) is more accurate in that it measures to more decimal places but the iCharger is one of the methods recognised on this database thread. If I remember correctly the iCharger is accurate and although it tests to less decimal places this only becomes a problem on bigger packs with lower internal resistance. This is the discussion thread for it and has loads of useful information too.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:52 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,344 Posts
Awesome video James!

Glad to see you guys across the pond getting the mini. Now get them built and flying already!

Been jonsing here with the wind blowing and no mini flying. The weekend is looking good so far, I'm ready to test the wheel mod part 2.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:57 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Glad you got it, is it built yet
Thanks! Not yet, but I'm hoping to have it done by Saturday for my indoor flying event Will start the build tomorrow. From what I can tell this looks like a quick build
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:57 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Sweet video James! Looks like you're having great fun
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:45 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Three blade propeller

GWS 6x3 3-blade propeller!
Hovering is great, very stable and slightly easier compared to the 7x3,5. Flying, though, have to wait to the indoor meeting on Saturday.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:08 PM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
GWS 6x3 3-blade propeller!
Hovering is great, very stable and slightly easier compared to the 7x3,5. Flying, though, have to wait to the indoor meeting on Saturday.
What about discharge time ?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:14 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
I haven't got a clue yet. I will find out about it on Saturday.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:29 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I've just been fondling my RTR very cute wee thing, my smallest motor so far.
How are you getting on getting the gear together Kris?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:49 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,344 Posts
I like that three blade prop, now there you go Stark going be searching for those now. Donít forget to report back your findings on it.

Only in our hobby can a grown man fondle a motor and it's alright. Just no sleeping with the mini Avie!
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:58 PM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,430 Posts
Nice 3 blade prop! I put a 10grams motor on mine but havent tested it yet.

BTW I got my refund from the motor I returned to Robotbirds. I wont be using them or BRC Hobbies again as A Sethi owns them both. Have bought from RB from mnay years and there is no loyality from their customers, and I bought a fair bit from him too! Ah well his lose.

h Well his lose.
wishawhunk is offline Find More Posts by wishawhunk
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:58 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
Only in our hobby can a grown man fondle a motor and it's alright. Just no sleeping with the mini Avie!
Naa no chance of that, I don't like skinny chicks