SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:25 AM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
683 Posts
If I keep pluging along I just might get it done, I thought the bottom was done and I see the aileron on the left side covering needs to come off. Not sure where my head was when I did that. Anyway thats what the bottom will look like, now if I can do the top without screwing it up, it has alot more work in it with many pieces and I'm getting short on covering.

I managed to get the big checkered pieces on and I never even got a air pocket, that was my biggest concern. The heat gun works real nice, getting better all the time

Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:35 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
683 Posts
Took covering off both ailerons and put it on right, looks alot better now.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:57 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,075 Posts
That's one of the things I enjoy about a checkered bottom, trying to get it all to look perfect together. Nice work!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:34 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
683 Posts
Thanks Andy, when it turnes out right it is enjoyable to do but I can see where it could also be the pitts.

Out fooling around with my saber tooth pilot, cut the body off and sewed him to a piece of lite ply and screwed him in the cockpit, I like him, looks cool in there.

Just had to do pict's. Leroy
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:00 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,075 Posts
Yeah, it needs a tiger! Nice!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:40 PM
United States, NH, Manchester
Joined Mar 2013
2 Posts
That is one good looking plane my friend! I'm prob gonna start a great planes cherokee 40 build got the kit on CL for only $50. Love these things...

Goodluck
jleblanc is offline Find More Posts by jleblanc
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:34 AM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleblanc View Post
That is one good looking plane my friend! I'm prob gonna start a great planes cherokee 40 build got the kit on CL for only $50. Love these things...

Goodluck
Your gonna love the Cherokee, it's a great flyer too, I have the GP in a 40 and it is a real good looking plane and the red really sets it off.

Leroy
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:45 AM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
683 Posts
Now for what some of you have been waiting for, the build is done, just put the electronics in it and break in the 20cc engine. Covering went on without a hitch and the scheme looks good on it I think. After the cowl paint is fully cured it will be repainted blue with chevrons trailing.

I guess the next thing is to get it in the air, with a saber tooth tiger for a pilot there may be some terror in the skies at the field, it's going to be a fun plane.

Leroy
Last edited by Leroy Gardner; Mar 07, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:24 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,579 Posts
She came out nice, Leroy !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:52 AM
sgu
United States, VA, Centreville
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
Just amazing. I can't wait to see it with a propeller.
Dave
sgu is offline Find More Posts by sgu
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:43 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
683 Posts
Thanks Tom and I agree. Must admit I had concerns about covering as my experience is limited and I have never used the heat gun before. It pays to save old covering to test with and it really paid off. I found out how quickly you can shrivel an edge with too much heat, I got a quick education in heat management. Not that hard to do but you better know what your doing.

Words to the wise of sorts,Leroy

Dave it will have a prop soon enough, when I get it completly finished I will post another pict. I want to break that engine in before it goes back in the plane and repaint the nose blue.

Leroy

I had it at our club meeting for a show and tell last night with 3 other planes and the guys really liked it, got alot of compliments and came home very pleased.
They could'nt hardly believe what I did to it.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:56 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Beautiful!!!!! Oh ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Apr 21, 2013, 03:11 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Jun 2004
348 Posts
Will we see more!!!!!!
Pilot232 is online now Find More Posts by Pilot232
Old Apr 29, 2013, 02:17 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot232 View Post
Will we see more!!!!!!
Well there isn't much left to see, I did build the engine stand and have been running the 20cc engine, strong little bugger that starts easy and runs like a top. I only have 1/2gal. through it so I think I will get it in the plane and finish the break in in the air.

Will post the run-up stand I built shortly and after a few other things get done on the plane I will post the completely finished plane. Almost there

Leroy
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:43 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
683 Posts
It's good to be working on the finishing, I did get side tracked for awhile. There are a couple of things I ran into while running the engine, you can't adjust the carb with the in cowl muffler on it. I will need to cut the canister off at the second discharge tube in order to adjust it in the plane with the cowling on and muffler as it is. I have been running it with the stock muffler. The pitts will need a new end heliarced on it, then should be good to go.

Stand is simple saw horse with the mount screwed to it and all the gear mounted here and there just to run and set up engine, receiver was also used so the kill switch could be tested. It's connected to the gear switch and works great, will be good to have kill on the radio. Notice the piece of RR track hanging from the rear, could be a bucket of water also to hold the rear down while running engine.

I painted the cowl blue and put a chevron behind it, don't like it any more than the white, hard to match the covering colors with rattle can paint mad. I need to sand it back down and repaint it

Anyway, I'm almost there, hope to balance it with batteries and such, don't want to add any extra weight. More to come.

Leroy: