HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:09 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,124 Posts
The new Balsa Builders forum upon its creation decimated this forum, since it really is redundant. There's a lot of activity over there that used to be right here. It isn't what you're doing.

The Tiger is something that us older guys will remember, especially those in Classic Pattern (another forum you might have found more interest in). The problem with posting this thread over there would have been the taildragger changes you made - everybody "knows" that proper Pattern planes have nosewheels, low profies, and sleek canopies

Just keep at it, it's worth the effort. Consider what you're doing a "service to the community." I've done a number of threads and in many of them I'm virtually the only poster. Don't let the lack of interaction discourage you!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:17 PM
sgu
United States, VA, Centreville
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
I'm enjoying this thread. Please keep the pics coming. Here is my tiger 2 build .40 size. My only mods are converting to tailwheel by placing the main gear blocks in front of the spar rather than behind and bending new slightly longer wires for the gear. I also added aileron servos in the wings and will play with flaperons too.

Your glue work is much neater than mine. What are you using? I used Titebond mostly for the wings, CA on the fuse, Epoxy everywhere and now I'm going crazy with the wood filler.

Dave
sgu is offline Find More Posts by sgu
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:29 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
Thanks Andy for encouragement, company just adds enjoyment and you don't feel like your the only one here that cares. Building for me is the only way to go and these days it gives me something to do that I enjoy alot. I really thought this would intrigue a few as it's not the run of the mill build, guess time will tell.

take care, Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:07 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
Well Dave you got it built, thats more than others are doing, don't look that bad to me. I clean up all parts before I start glueing it up. Those lazer cut parts need to have the burned surfaceses lightly sanded as they make a weak glue joint/poor bond. I use a lite run of med. CA just to hold parts together then Tightbond tri stock in joints on fuse. Fire wall and any gear support or other high stress joints get epoxy, 30 min. for strength and some fiberglass work in the fire wall area. A DLE 20cc will need some better construction than an out of box build.

All I here about flaperons is bad, I had considered them until I heard about performance issues with them. A stock Tiger really dont need flaps, it floats pretty good if you keep it light. I'm putting flaps on mine because a 16 x 8 or a 15 X10 prop is going to move alot of air even at idle RPM's so I need to slow it down.

I rarely use wood putty, Dap lite spackle with a bit of water in it works real well and it's easier to sand. I also use laquer sanding sealer on the whole structure and sand with 320 or 400 grit paper, the covering will stick better if you do that and it hardly weighs at all. Moveing to more central located servo of aileron will eliminate the flutter out at the wing tips. Be sure to post your finished plane, I'd like to see it Leroy
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:57 PM
sgu
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
Thanks Leroy. Good advise. I'm still a beginner so I'm looking forward to playing with flaps (erons). If it doesn't work out I won't use them but I am curious. Hopefully I won't spin it in on short final. My last tiger flew after many crashes, here is just one...

Ducky buys it :( (1 min 42 sec)

Dave
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:46 PM
United States, SC, Clemson
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
Well for starters how about compleatly rebuilt wing ailerons, raising the wing and making them plug in, rebuilding top of fuse with removeable canopy section, add gear for tail drager and increase rudder and elevator surfaces. last but not least a custom built cowling.

Sound intresting, this may be the place to do it. Leroy
Sounds like a .60 size Somethin Extra. Subscribed.
redradar is offline Find More Posts by redradar
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:55 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
AndyKunz your rigth about Balsa Builders, lots of stuff there. I thought it was a scratch build site and never looked at it till now.

With the addition of flaps I'm doing some extra constructoin on wings. I'm useing 15" from the strip ailerons for the flaps and they are not as wide as the 15" ailerons. Should have some picts. by tomorrow then Christmas will slow things down some. Leroy

Gruntbox it' not going to be an extra 300 no matter what you do to it, there is alot of difference between the two.

Dave in the video you had it going pretty good, what did you do, take your eye off it? Looks rebuildable. See you joined the Tiger club.
Last edited by Leroy Gardner; Dec 19, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,300 Posts
Probably a lot more people reading this than commenting. Keep posting!
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:26 PM
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined May 2012
75 Posts
your doing great.. really interesting with the gasser.
dmbaerry is offline Find More Posts by dmbaerry
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:57 PM
sgu
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Dave in the video you had it going pretty good, what did you do, take your eye off it? Looks rebuildable. See you joined the Tiger club.
I miss judged my height and clipped the top of a tree. I did repair it after that.

It was drilling it straight in out of an inverted pass that finished it off.

I am reusing the electronics, motor,and pilot. Hopefully none of them suffered any hidden damage.

Dave
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:11 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
Thanks guys, nice having the support. I read alot of the threads and don't always comment, many questions have already been addressed, but I respond to my fair share of them. This bash of mine is different from most of what you usually see in a bash, it might surprise a few to what you can do to some kits, kinda fun stuff if you like building. Leroy
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:21 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
Dave the last pict. is alot worse looking than the first one, hope all the googies are ok so you can reuse them. You need to stay on your toes when ya got one in the air, I have seen a few go down by those that take their eyes off the plane.

The Tiger sure is a nice flying plane thats for sure, my goal is to keep it's traits while improving them. Leroy
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:58 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,958 Posts
Quote:
"Hey Cooler", white & orange, well tigers had those colors on them " but no pilot". Ya gotta have something in there, looks like you never got the film off the canopy, did you know there was/is one on it?. Leroy
Only pic I had. Your right, canopy was just sitting on it at the time, yes the film was still on. Does have pilot now!

best color combo for high visability!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
I got the trailing wing parts all laid out and glued most of it together. Managed to predrill flaps and mounts for hinge points, I'm useing Robart 3/16" points across the wing, that also allowes dowling the parts together for sanding perfect surfaces across the whole wing. Every thing just fits better, did the mustang the same way and there is no miss fit anywhere. Hinging can be a PITA for some but if you do it my way your problems will go away, slots are another issue.

Should have skins on shortly and then the tail feathers, upper foward deck and make the plug for cowling so there is still plenty to do.

Pict. will show simple jig for drilling flaps for hinges. Leroy

We are having a snow storm here and can't upload at this time, will try later
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:35 AM
sgu
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
That's a great idea using dowels in place of the hinges for sanding.

Dave