HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:21 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
733 Posts
Build Log
Unique bash of Tiger 60 build

This bashing of the Tiger 60 will feature changes to entire plane that will be powered by a DLE20cc engine. Build is in progress but with the lack of intrest in building/bashing I'm going to want support in this unique build to make it fun to do.

"So" if you would like to see it come together let me know otherwise I'll look for intrest elsewhere.

Come on guys, I promise it will be worth watching.
Leroy Gardner is online now Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,471 Posts
How's the weight of a DLE 20cc compare with a traditional .60 nitro engine?
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, FL, Edgewater
Joined Nov 2010
167 Posts
I'm in. What all changes do you have planned?
no1isnormal is offline Find More Posts by no1isnormal
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:02 AM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall View Post
How's the weight of a DLE 20cc compare with a traditional .60 nitro engine?
Those putting 60 size engines in it are also adding 1/2 pound or more up front to balance it, tail is long and heavy. 20cc engine will require no added weight.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:13 AM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1isnormal View Post
I'm in. What all changes do you have planned?
Well for starters how about compleatly rebuilt wing ailerons, raising the wing and making them plug in, rebuilding top of fuse with removeable canopy section, add gear for tail drager and increase rudder and elevator surfaces. last but not least a custom built cowling.

Sound intresting, this may be the place to do it. Leroy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,471 Posts
I always heard that about the Four Star as well, but mine (RIP) just had the battery up front and she flew great with a .75AX in the nose and no weight.

Of course, the DLE 20 sounds even better!
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:30 AM
United States, FL, Edgewater
Joined Nov 2010
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
Well for starters how about compleatly rebuilt wing ailerons, raising the wing and making them plug in, rebuilding top of fuse with removeable canopy section, add gear for tail drager and increase rudder and elevator surfaces. last but not least a custom built cowling.
That sounds very interesting! I assume you will employ a wing tube for the plug in wings? What material would it be? How much more tail surfaces do you plan on adding? I remember my old Tiger II didn't have very much tail authority in it's stock form.

I look forward to seeing your spin on this aircraft. Happy Building!
no1isnormal is offline Find More Posts by no1isnormal
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
I wouldnt necessarily raise the wings snd make them plug in. I would just make it look better. When i think tiger 60, i think ugly, but a simple and great everyday flier.

Now if you can make it less ugly and improve its flying characteristics, your gettin somewhere!

I think a round fuselage, symmetrical wing and an airfoiled tail would be a good start. The tiger 2 has always given me that 30's era racer vibe. Clipping the wings a rib bay or three, less dihedral, barn door style ailerons and a sweeping wing tip would be awesome. Also move the canopy back a bit.

Its almost easier to just design a new plane. Haha
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:15 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
733 Posts
First I'd like to thank those who responded, 7 so far and I hope others will get on board. I wasn't going to do this on two web sites but there is enough intrest on both to go ahead and do it.

The Tiger 60 has an intresting airframe, build it out of the box and have a very nice flying sport plane or do some bashing while not changing it's great characteristics and/or improving them and thats what I intend to do with mine. A lot of thought has gone into what I'm doing and some of you may like to incorperate one or more of my changes in one of your own.

As we progress in the build we/I will elaborate on some of the weakness in the stock airframe and how to improve them but first I'll post some pictures of the changes I'm doing as shown in red on the plane and the trailing and leading edges of wing and ailerons. Parts were cut on a table saw from 1/4" medium dencity balsa, stacked and T pin nailed together and drilled 3/16" for perfect aligned hinge points when assembled.

4 new lite ply ribs were made and all ribs were cut to fit the new wing trailing edge, I also added tab support extensions as most of original ones were removed.

There will probably be some questions so I'l hold up here and I don't want to build it in a week. Leroy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:35 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1isnormal View Post
That sounds very interesting! I assume you will employ a wing tube for the plug in wings? What material would it be? How much more tail surfaces do you plan on adding? I remember my old Tiger II didn't have very much tail authority in it's stock form.

I look forward to seeing your spin on this aircraft. Happy Building!
Hi, glad to have ya. Yes the wing tube is 3/4" aluminum 28" long it's from a AT-6 with a 91" wing so should be plenty strong enough, I will have to make a sleeve for it and that will be fun, "oh yea". Rudder gets treatment also, because of tail length it's going to take more to do a knife edge and a counter balance would help also.

I am happy building, thanks, Leroy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:43 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
I wouldnt necessarily raise the wings snd make them plug in. I would just make it look better. When i think tiger 60, i think ugly, but a simple and great everyday flier.

Now if you can make it less ugly and improve its flying characteristics, your gettin somewhere!

I think a round fuselage, symmetrical wing and an airfoiled tail would be a good start. The tiger 2 has always given me that 30's era racer vibe. Clipping the wings a rib bay or three, less dihedral, barn door style ailerons and a sweeping wing tip would be awesome. Also move the canopy back a bit.

Its almost easier to just design a new plane. Haha
What, and take all the fun out of it, this way I get most of the stuff I need to build it and I have the rest of it already. I'm doing some of what you suggested but it was my idea first, ha ha. This will be fun and it should be so hang in there and thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:34 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
733 Posts
Building the wing tube sleeve was not as easy as I was led to believe. I waxed the tube real well with an old candle and wraped1.5 oz. fiber glass around it 3 times while appling the resin and let it cure, while waiting for that I had to figure how I was going to hold the tube in order to pull sleve off. I was begining to have my doubts about this time. Mind was going nuts trying to figure this one out but I had a 1/2" pipe tap and darned if I couldn't screw it in the end and clamp it in a vice, thought I had it made at that point, get the heat gun and heat it up, melt the wax and pull it off," oh sure". Had it so hot I couldn't grab it without gloves on but it didn't budge, even used some profanity but it didn't help.

Anyway I ended up cutting off a narrow strip, kinda like peeling a potato gave it a twist and pulled it off. Looking in the shop corners I found a inner aluminum tent pole exactly 3/4"and it was longer and straight too. Well I took a strip of clear packing tape and ran it the length and waxed it up with floor wax twice and slid the sleeve on it with the split on the tape. I cut more glass to do 1/2 length at a time and put 3 more wraps on it. After the cure I gave it a twist and pulled it off, rewaxed the tube and did the other end and it too came off with little effort.

See the results and the wing tube fits it very nice plus now you know how to make one should you ever need to. Leroy
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:37 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,832 Posts
You should first have wrapped the tube with packing tape. This gives a few mils of extra space that you will need to slide the tube in, and it's a nice sacrificial layer during this stage. I prefer to use Mothers car wax over anything else. And Elmers white glue acts as a suitable PVA release agent as well.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:42 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
Parts were cut on a table saw from 1/4" medium dencity balsa, stacked and T pin nailed together and drilled 3/16" for perfect aligned hinge points when assembled.
Leroy
This is one of those... Gee why didn't I think of that ideas. I'll have to try it next time I plan on using hinge points.
GREAT tip
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:10 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
733 Posts
Andy should of ran into you earlier, you could have saved me some er, er, cussing so to speak. I thought I had good advice to start with and glade I figured it out. Some times you learn the hard way, thank God it's not all the time.

Thanks for tip anyway, Leroy