HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
Discussion
This kit is scareing me- GWS Tiger Moth 400

I have been flying for over 5 years and I really enjoy the "building" of my planes. I normally buy ParkZone products which require very little skill. I even enjoy buying the bare-bones foamies and installing my own motor, esc, and servos.
But this kit is a little daunting. I am not used to seeing so many pieces!!! I have looked at the various build thread's, but I am still scared.

HELP!!!!
Konamack is offline Find More Posts by Konamack
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:15 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,185 Posts
Put on your big boy pants and read the instructions twice noting the best sequence of "putting it together". If you assemble it reasonably straight and have it balanced so that it is not tail-heavy and you have basic tail-dragger flying skills, you should get through the maiden flight with little or no damage. Look carefully at the wings and tail surfaces from the rear, if you see any warps or un-symettrical-ness it must be fixed. There must be some down and right thrust angle to the motor.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:00 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,613 Posts
Most things that look incredibly complicated can often be solved if taken just a little bit at a time.

I scratch build a lot, and often reach that, 'how the hell am I going to solve this' point in a build. So I step back, leave it for a while, and then solved the smallest part.

Just think about how big your grin will be after that first flight. And get the glue out
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:29 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Most things that look incredibly complicated can often be solved if taken just a little bit at a time.

I scratch build a lot, and often reach that, 'how the hell am I going to solve this' point in a build. So I step back, leave it for a while, and then solved the smallest part.

Just think about how big your grin will be after that first flight. And get the glue out
+1 on this.. Step back,take it one small section at a time,but first read everything a couple of times.Then break it down one small step at a time.
fastfwd is online now Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
Thank you all for the great advice. LOL!!!

I have the unpainted kit. I think I may go through and put painters tape on the area's where there are small holes/notches (that I do not want to cover up), so that I will not be even more confused after I'm done painting.

I will keep you all updated regarding my progress.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:49 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
GWS kits have a couple of generic "sheets" of plastic parts, dry fit the parts you need, double check everything and enjoy starting your collection of GWS odds and ends ...
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
I have a friend who has built two of these. Yes, there are a lot of parts, but the plane has gone together well from what I have seen. Both planes have flown great and he has flown them at our club. Great slow fliers.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:25 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,275 Posts
I have a GWS Corsair still in the box "hideing" in the corner.....
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:50 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,438 Posts
Have you done any detailed build logs for your Parkzone planes in the past? I'd be interested to see them if you have.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Have you done any detailed build logs for your Parkzone planes in the past? I'd be interested to see them if you have.
Yes. I did do one for my modified Super Cub.

Here is a link to it....

http://www.bayrc.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10469
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:14 PM
READY!
seattle, wa
Joined May 2008
623 Posts
Just take your time. Read the instructions thoroughly.
Read the TM 400 thread thoroughly. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298384
There is a wealth of information there. (Check Post #1197 to see mine).
Having built several GWS kits (Estarter, Corsair, Tiger Moth, Spitfire) I can say this one requires the most patience and attention to detail, but it is well worth it! The Tiger Moth 400 is a great flying plane and the right power setup will provide you with surprisingly slow, scale, flight and power in reserve for barnstorming acrobatics.
shafferama is offline Find More Posts by shafferama
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,336 Posts
Hey now,
I have to apologize to you dude. My first thought when I read your post was things like build PZ planes??? There's building involved? And daunted by a GWS "kit"? What the???
But then I took a deep breath and thought for another moment.
Sure *to me* this stuff seems like either not or minimal building but *I'm not you*. I've been doing this stuff for so very long I often forget what it was like when I began building and yeah even a GWS model can be a bit daunting sometimes.
You can do this and do it well if you read and follow the instructions and take your time. And yes you do start with a pile of little parts but with a GWS model after you build it you'll still have a pile of little parts.
Those parts trees with all the little plastic parts are generic sets. They have bits for most every GWS model they sell and you only use a few of them for your model. Don't let it get to you. Take your time and when you get flustered stop and take a break and come back to it later.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Haven't built the Tiger Moth but I've built my share of GWS kits -- they can be a pain to build, and the instructions aren't the best. But take your time, you'll figure it out, or figure out a better way. They're worth the effort. You won't get a better airframe for your buck -- but you may lose a few hairs putting it together.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,185 Posts
Go here, "All Things GWS" thread, there's a number of TM's and you can get advice from current GWS builders:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1527072&page=2
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:16 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,277 Posts
A TM400 is hardly a daunting build, but don't expect to complete it within the hour like PZ planes.

The instructions are actually decent but this article should get you through as well:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=345
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Last edited by phoam; Sep 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM.