HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,112 Posts
Correction

Most American companies can do a good job making their products.

Until a Chinese government subsidized industry comes after our companies in the same field.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,112 Posts
Lets see ?

We could not produce a LIFEPO4 battery after pork barrelling away close to a billion dollars of money.

Now the chief director of battery designs says we can design a battery 25 times better than anything available today ?? He must be on drugs to make such a STUPID statement after the way A123 played out.

If it worked the first time ? Keep doing the same thing untill they catch up to our
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:51 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
Why do the Chinese always get the blame for other's failures?
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:26 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebell View Post
Bigotry, nothing is worse than successful foreigners.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,112 Posts
Slavery, at minus wages, keeps the top richest people happy.

Life is always good up there.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:31 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,185 Posts
Quote:
Hm, I think you have inverted cause and effect.

So, is it your position that intellectual property is "safe" in "China?"
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,112 Posts
At least the safe improvement will be put to use.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:52 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
Wow!!! What are you people talking about? Didn’t you read the article???

The A123 company was bankrupt because of whoever was involved caused it to be a failure, even with the $249.1 million federal grant. Was the “intellectual property” and “financial property” (grant) “safe” in the USA? Who was the actual beneficiaries? Then the Chinese bought it at the bankrupt auction held in Chicago. So, now the company with all its assets, including intellectual property, belongs to them, the Chinese. ... !!!

From the article:
“Chinese firm Wanxiang emerged as the winning bidder of bankrupt battery-maker A123's assets after a days long auction that lasted until nearly 4 a.m. Saturday.”

”The Wanxiang purchase of A123 marks the second major foreign purchase of a U.S. battery company backed by Department of Energy funding.”

And it does not stop there:

”Just over a week ago Energy Secretary Steven Chu came to Chicago to announce that the DOE would spend an additional $120 million to enhance battery technology at Argonne National Laboratory in suburban Lemont. ”

Something fishy!

If you want to you talk about “slavery”, start talking with your own high rated businessmen. How many of them in all categories of business, including the RC business, take their manufacturing to China?

I ask again: Why do the Chinese always get the blame for other's failures?

BTW, the A123 company started with a lot of legal fights about who it actually belonged to
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,112 Posts
MIT ?

The sweet smell of selling out to the highest buck.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:18 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,185 Posts
Quote:
Wow!!! What are you people talking about? Didn’t you read the article???

The A123 company was bankrupt because of whoever was involved caused it to be a failure, even with the $249.1 million federal grant. Was the “intellectual property” and “financial property” (grant) “safe” in the USA? Who was the actual beneficiaries? Then the Chinese bought it at the bankrupt auction held in Chicago. So, now the company with all its assets, including intellectual property, belongs to them, the Chinese. ... !!!

From the article:
“Chinese firm Wanxiang emerged as the winning bidder of bankrupt battery-maker A123's assets after a days long auction that lasted until nearly 4 a.m. Saturday.”

”The Wanxiang purchase of A123 marks the second major foreign purchase of a U.S. battery company backed by Department of Energy funding.”

And it does not stop there:

”Just over a week ago Energy Secretary Steven Chu came to Chicago to announce that the DOE would spend an additional $120 million to enhance battery technology at Argonne National Laboratory in suburban Lemont. ”

Something fishy!

If you want to you talk about “slavery”, start talking with your own high rated businessmen. How many of them in all categories of business, including the RC business, take their manufacturing to China?

I ask again: Why do the Chinese always get the blame for other's failures?

BTW, the A123 company started with a lot of legal fights about who it actually belonged to
Of course we read the article!

Yes, in this instance the intellectual property was lawfully acquired, but, again, I would ask rhetorically, is intellectual property "safe" in China?

This transaction is the exception, not the "norm" in my view since, for once, it was "cheaper" to lawfully acquire the IP than to steal it.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,112 Posts
It sure was not safe in the U S A.
A123 put factories anywhere it could to pee away the money .
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:34 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
It sure was not safe in the U S A.
A123 put factories anywhere it could to pee away the money .
Of course the IP was "safe" in the U.S.: what do you think an infringement action is all about?

Let's not confuse poor or unsound business judgment with a fully-functioning judiciary which protects the IP of those who seek it!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:06 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
We destroyed the A123 battery fortunes in America by greedy speculators, incompetant bussiness leaders, bloated saleries of top management & the creation of a federal pork barrel. It has never been competitive in anything except raising taxes & peeing it away to very savy Asians with a good work ethic.

Garbage in.....garbage out. Plus expenses of course.
I believe it's called 'Capitalism'.

Or it might be 'communism' or 'whatever the Chinese government method is called'.

The only real solution is to only vote in people who will split all the money in the country into an equal share for every citizen and also make large pickup trucks with oversized wheels and gun racks free to all citizens who wear ballcaps continuously

That's called sarcasm. Bazinga!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2047216.story

Oops, sorry. Wrong Very Important National News.

There's a piece in the Chicago Tribune (and, one imagines, many other local papers) concerning how A123 is not getting about half of its government handout on account of how it's now going to be owned by another government. Should save enough to re-decorate that public housing complex on PA Ave in DC after they take down the HalThankBlackMas trees and stuff.

Unfortunately, despite the Trib reckoning it to be switched on online, it's only in the paper version and we're off out, so you can't come around and read my copy.

Still, if we get bigger capacity/same size A123s for e-flight, some of us will feel better. For one, I'd love to go back to batteries you just stuff electricity into one end of, then go fly. Sometimes I miss my NiMh packs...

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,112 Posts
Save the Nitro fuel / gasoline ?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:20 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
I believe it's called 'Capitalism'.

Or it might be 'communism' or 'whatever the Chinese government method is called'.

The only real solution is to only vote in people who will split all the money in the country into an equal share for every citizen and also make large pickup trucks with oversized wheels and gun racks free to all citizens who wear ballcaps continuously

That's called sarcasm. Bazinga!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2047216.story

Oops, sorry. Wrong Very Important National News.

There's a piece in the Chicago Tribune (and, one imagines, many other local papers) concerning how A123 is not getting about half of its government handout on account of how it's now going to be owned by another government. Should save enough to re-decorate that public housing complex on PA Ave in DC after they take down the HalThankBlackMas trees and stuff.

Unfortunately, despite the Trib reckoning it to be switched on online, it's only in the paper version and we're off out, so you can't come around and read my copy.

Still, if we get bigger capacity/same size A123s for e-flight, some of us will feel better. For one, I'd love to go back to batteries you just stuff electricity into one end of, then go fly. Sometimes I miss my NiMh packs...

D
Better still, the trustee in bankruptcy should go after the circus clowns (officers and directors) who drove the ship onto the rocks!