SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:43 PM
United States, CA, Oroville
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
Discussion
A scary trend in FPV

As a "veteran" FPV pilot since 2008 I've noticed an alarming trend. Just this past weekend I had put my FPV gear up for sale on RCG and Craigslist and have been shocked at the phone call and texts I'm getting.

Numerous folks have called stating they were in the market for gear asking questions like; can I get 10mi of range? 15 miles? One guy even asked for possible 17 miles.. I've gotten questions like how would cloud cover affect the range? I counter back with "how high are you wanting to go?? Caller says he's had fun capturing general aviation planes on video in the pattern at the local airport.. I'm like what the heck?!?!
I proceed to ask him just how was he catching the video? His reply was "my quad copter"... Another caller stated that he would love to "spy" on the tower at another unnamed airport.. Later in the conversations they're kinda pissed off that their might be regs involving FPV and how big brother needs to butt out of the hobby.. I mentioned what are ya gonna do when your $1,000 bird goes down 10 miles away? Most would say it would return to home on a failure.. I realize most of these guys were newbies without a clue.. But on the other hand what's gonna stop them when they start flying?

I mentioned my fears to guys like them who were just plain stupid as I'm a licensed private pilot as well.. I tried to get the point across that they were being extremely careless and down right dangerous.. I asked them what if an innocent family was in the landing pattern and struck his quad and how it could bring a plane down and more than likely kill all aboard.. Both guys said they were "safe" FPV pilots (one caller from Placerville ca and another in the Bay Area)..

I know this is a fun Hobbie but these things belong at the AMA specs of 450' max altitude.. Above the clouds and one day we are gonna read about someone flying IFR punching through a cloud and into an FPV bird.. Then things will be getting serious. Sad to say I'm now all for regulating this Hobbie the Feds don't have to go far to see how bad it's getting. A quick search on Youtube brings up many people flying too high and/or too careless

Well guys thanks for listening and be safe.. And please use your head when playing with these FPV aircraft..,
savage 40 is offline Find More Posts by savage 40
Last edited by savage 40; Dec 09, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:52 AM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,845 Posts
That is scary (being a full scale pilot as well). And that is what will end the fun for the rest of us. It only takes one to ruin it for many.
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:07 AM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Aug 2010
76 Posts
Wow, you have to seriously, seriously be an idiot to fly an RC plane in the pattern.

However, flying above the bs 400' max altitude is something that I do very frequently, and plan to do more frequently, as testing things at 100m that I should really have been testing at 400m to give me time to react recently cost me a plane.
jschall is offline Find More Posts by jschall
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:59 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,644 Posts
Separation of aircraft is good. The AMA has no clue and no authority about FPV. Now they are trying to write regulations against autopilots and OSDs - ha.

RC soarers have been going to 2k AGL for decades. Did they ruin the sport?

Maybe the FPV community needs to encourage more training for folks to find, read and understand av charts.

Would be nice of the GA traffic would stay above 450 AGL around here.

newbies will always ask stupid questions

that is why we as jaded FPC veteran pilots all end up writing this down in a David22 format

I start ground school and flight training next month. should be fun
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:12 AM
Nederland, LI, Herkenbosch
Joined Jul 2011
91 Posts
+1 On that one.

When I fly at my parents home, I usually first check the incoming flights to the airport we live close to. Since the field is directly below the ILS interception point for many flights. Now I recenlty moved closer to another airport in very dense airspace, so I have to study the visual approach charts before any flights are done.

As for rule making, only fly above 500 AGL in VMC, and maintain the same seperation as in real aviation (with priotity for the 'real' aircraft of course). Since they still do the eye check on the medical exam, most pilots will also notice you.

In a nuttshell: know where you are flying, and more important know where everyone else is flying.

-Alex
Aliander is offline Find More Posts by Aliander
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliander View Post
In a nuttshell: know where you are flying, and more important know where everyone else is flying.
That's the problem. Your average Joe the Plumber hasn't been educated, nor knows what resources to utilize to check this. The market has created a product that is easy to get and easy to deploy.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
I hope you don't mean to say "real pilots will notice you" in regards to real pilot noticing a quad.. It's extremely tough to see a real plane a mile or 1/2 mile out coming right at you..
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:33 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,478 Posts
I was at my field the other day when some new people flying fpv quads were flying behind the flight line and in the parking lot. I was watching it fly when all of a sudden it drops out of the sky and into a guys windshield. Luckily nobody was hurt.

Im starting to notice an alarming trend of multi rotors and fpv being used wrecklessly.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:39 AM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,050 Posts
Hm. This thread oughta be good for a few laughs....
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
that is why we as jaded FPC veteran pilots all end up writing this down in a David22 format
Haha.

To the guy that has to fly near airports. One of my buddys lives right under the pattern for a small airport. So they have a radio set to the frequency of the airport. Any planes flying within a couple miles of the place/landing/taking off, all announce their presence. So the FPV'ers just avoid pattern altitude until they are clear of the airspace. They also have a map of the airspace out (they fly from inside), so they can quickly locate an inbound plane and steer clear.

Cant do that for controlled airspace, but for uncontrolled, its an option.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:31 AM View Post
AMA Retread
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
Haha.

To the guy that has to fly near airports. One of my buddys lives right under the pattern for a small airport. So they have a radio set to the frequency of the airport. Any planes flying within a couple miles of the place/landing/taking off, all announce their presence. So the FPV'ers just avoid pattern altitude until they are clear of the airspace. They also have a map of the airspace out (they fly from inside), so they can quickly locate an inbound plane and steer clear.

Cant do that for controlled airspace, but for uncontrolled, its an option.
Not all pilots use radios.. It's uncontrolled so many folks don't use radios or have aircraft radio equiptment
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:01 PM
Team Flying Pirates
Joined Nov 2011
193 Posts
fortunately, build, set and fly an fpv airplane/multirotor is sufficiently difficult to make it impossible to fly by a complete idiot.

except me of course..
_ELLIOT_ is offline Find More Posts by _ELLIOT_
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,368 Posts
Attitudes like this are nothing new and frankly not specifically a RC or FPV problem. How many times has someone come out to the field wanting to learn to fly and then goes off, against the advice of everyone, and buys a EDF or something not a training bird?

The only way this will affect the rest of us FPV guys is if they hurt someone or encounter real aircraft.

What will most likely happen is they will buy lots of equipment, with visions of dancing through clouds at 10 miles out, and loose the aircraft. Hopefully that will either make them realize the error in their thinking or discourage them from trying again.

I personally would not sell anything to someone who made comments like that. They can buy elsewhere.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
I didn't sell anything to them but listened long enough to want to puke