SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:59 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noarf4me2 View Post
Wandering a bit from where you started, cut off another 1/4" from the prop, the tee dee didn't sound like it was turning anywhere near 20k in the video.
Haha, yeah I couldn't believe how far I had walked after I landed. I forgot to throw my white rag spot marker out. My reflexes weren't tuned in too good that day. Maybe from the 6 week layoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
I figure 18,000 rpm on the ground with my trusty little pitch pipe. It is a D. Likely hits 20,000 in the air. I can't check that unless the microphone is in the circle.
It tachs 20.5k on the ground before I rich it up a bit to launch, so your 18k is probably right. And when it unloads in the air it sounds a lot faster than that to my ear tach. That's with a 5-1/4x3 balanced Master Airscrew. I'm pretty sure it's hitting over 20k. I'll try a 5" prop next time out and see what it does. But it pulls the plane along pretty well. 40 foot lines plus 2 feet of my arm gets 19 seconds in seven semi flat laps. That comes out to 66.3mph. With the previous unsteady engine I got 70mph on one good running stretch of flat laps. I could try it with some Sig 35% and see if that makes any difference.

Speed, tell me about your pitch pipe. You mentioned that in my Baby Streak video thread a while back. What exactly is it? I would like to have one.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:01 AM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raglafart View Post
Don't let any kids see it, they'll all want a tattoo like that. You'll start a new craze!
Yeah they could be sticking all sorts of body parts in it.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:43 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,505 Posts
I just have the pitch pipe like the teachers had at school in music class. Sometimes I would check rpms from youtube with my synthesizer to match the sound/pitch, and I made up a chart going on the basis that middle c is 60 cycles per second or whatever it was. One octave doubles this, and that is pretty much where model motors run. Many years ago I got a guitar tuning instrument that reads out the pitch on a scale, but I was cleaning out my Dad's old piano bench and found the old pitch pipe, and it seems pretty close. Someone else posted a chart on one of these sites, and it was very close to what mine was. It can get confusing with chromatic and cent. scales etc. but they were very similar. You know, tone tone, semitone, tone tone tone, semitone.... My Dad was a music teacher.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:50 AM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
All I remember from high school is egbdfac. I played the drums. Thanks for telling me about it.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Oh hey, Noarf, I noticed this was your first post. I'm glad I inspired you to jump in after six years of RCG membership. Welcome to the fray.