SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Apr 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
OK, correction 36" of snow predicted

Just received Paypal confirmation of order. Did "one stop shopping" ... plane, servos, motor, motor mount, ESC and servos ... all TWM parts. $20 shipping seemed very reasonable.

Interesting to see how this one compares to the Super Taiji 40 EP.
EPO vs Balsa, yet the have the same wingspan, wing loading and AUW.

Probably going to do something similar to the Taiji EP on the bottom of the wings, a bit more visible than the stripes IMHO.

I've been flying the Super Taiji 40 EP for over 1-1/2 year, & the Commander for over two months. I finally have settled on the Commander's CG & the knife edge mixing - it require 3% up elevator mix to both side of rudder, & about 2% of right aileron to left rudder mix. I have also dial in the correct amount of snap throws.

Originally, I was very impress with the wood Taiji, but after the correct trimming, I'm preferred the Commander. It locks in very solid, snaps clean, even the reverse knife edge snaps. The only other thing I will try is to put a bit more down thrust on the motor.

I'm also using World's motor & ESC. However, instead of using their 11x8 prop, I'm using an APC 11x7. In addition, I'm also using Futaba S3150 digital servo, instead of the stock World's one.

Adrian
riot3d is offline Find More Posts by riot3d
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:35 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2012
25 Posts
Any noticeable wing flex?
smarkturner is offline Find More Posts by smarkturner
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:54 AM
Joined Apr 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkturner View Post
Any noticeable wing flex?
No, not at all, because of the EPO foam.

Adrian
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:39 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riot3d View Post
I've been flying the Super Taiji 40 EP for over 1-1/2 year, & the Commander for over two months. I finally have settled on the Commander's CG & the knife edge mixing - it require 3% up elevator mix to both side of rudder, & about 2% of right aileron to left rudder mix. I have also dial in the correct amount of snap throws.

Originally, I was very impress with the wood Taiji, but after the correct trimming, I'm preferred the Commander. It locks in very solid, snaps clean, even the reverse knife edge snaps. The only other thing I will try is to put a bit more down thrust on the motor.

I'm also using World's motor & ESC. However, instead of using their 11x8 prop, I'm using an APC 11x7. In addition, I'm also using Futaba S3150 digital servo, instead of the stock World's one.

Adrian
What size battery pack and CG did you end up with on the Commander?
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:40 PM
Joined Apr 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
What size battery pack and CG did you end up with on the Commander?
4S 3,300. As for CG, I left the plane in my car, I'll check either tomorrow or Sat
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:34 AM
Joined Apr 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
4S 3,300. As for CG, I left the plane in my car, I'll check either tomorrow or Sat
The recommended CG from them is114 mm. However, with my battery, it ended up way nose heavy. Presently, I'm at 250 mm.

Adrian
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:15 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,662 Posts
Quote:
The recommended CG from them is114 mm. However, with my battery, it ended up way nose heavy. Presently, I'm at 250 mm.

Adrian
250mm? 9.8"? Is this measured from the front of the wing root where it meets the fuse?
And it flies well? I would never have thought.
Thank you very much for the info.
I am hoping to start paint and assembly this week and have to order a pack.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:10 PM
Joined Apr 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
250mm? 9.8"? Is this measured from the front of the wing root where it meets the fuse?
And it flies well? I would never have thought.
Thank you very much for the info.
I am hoping to start paint and assembly this week and have to order a pack.
Yes, that's correct. However, it all depends on the battery you're using, my 3,300 with 30C rating could be the reason why the CG is so far back. I would recommend start with the recommended CG then move forward or backward to suit your flying style.

Adrian
Last edited by riot3d; Feb 18, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:36 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,662 Posts
Ordered 2 4s 3300 Hyperion VX batteries from www.allerc.com
$55 each, in the discontinued section. Never tried Hyperion batteries before.

Should have everything else done by the time they arrive.
Just finishing up swapping out larger wheels (grass runways) and some minor work to provide larger opening in the wheel pants. Hopefully tail wheel is OK as is.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 05:21 AM
United States, NY, Wyoming
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
I had some friends order me one while at theToledo show this year. It's the combo package with motor and servos installed. The kit seems very nice. It takes no time to finish at all and the overall quality seems good. If the weather ever improves I might even get to fly it. Need to order some four cell battery's.
starwarsfan is offline Find More Posts by starwarsfan
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:04 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,662 Posts
I also bought the combo package, from airborne-models.com in CA (their importer I believe). I didn't apply the graphics to the bottom of the wings/elevator, instead I went with some paint for visibility.

I went with the Hyperion 4S packs I mentioned earlier
http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-lites...ck-p-2060.html

The plane balances right at the CG point mentioned in the manual.
I haven't weighed the plane yet.
I did hold the model and do some throttle runs with the recommended prop ... let's just say it should have no problems with power to weight ratio!

One thing I did notice is that the motor, as received and installed in the plane, was "tight". I ran the motor, no prop, at low speed for about 15 minutes, allowed it to cool down and after that it was much better. With the prop/spinner installed, the prop spins as you would expect from a BLDC motor.

Just waiting on good weather for the maiden. We have had a week+ of windy weather.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:14 AM
United States, NY, Wyoming
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with the spinner. I mounted mine and it seems out of balance. The back plate seems to have a twist in it. I am going to try rotating it and see if I can get it better. The weather is awful. Lots of time to get it right..
starwarsfan is offline Find More Posts by starwarsfan
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:50 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,662 Posts
I didn't notice any vibration during run up and wattmeter tests. I only balanced the prop.

I did have a fairly difficult time initially getting the spinner to seat on the backplate.
I ended up threading the screws fully into the backplate (without the spinner mounted) a couple of times.
After that, it was much easier to get the spinner to properly seat against the backplate.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 09:33 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,741 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Commander EP Kit version. Already have a drawer full of mini servos. Was going to head over to headsuprc.com for a compatible BL. .Any recommendations ? Trying to find the dimensions. Calls for 700 watts. Was thinking of the emax 1000 watter: http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-BL3...otor-A-274.htm

Our field is hosting a 3DHS fly-low-in this weekend stating today. http://www.114thrc.org/fieldCams.asp Great stuff and world class pilots here but cost wise , way out of my league. I fly cheap and often -LOL

Thanks,

Hawk
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Last edited by dahawk47; Apr 19, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 09:48 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,662 Posts
This is the motor that comes with the pre-assembled combo

Brushless Motor KM0374810

Specification / Size: D37.2 x 48.5 mm. Package: 1 pc/pkg. -Max Speed: 13860rpm. -Kv (rpm/V): 770. -Operating Power: 450W. -Operating Voltage: 8.5-18V. -Operating Current: 30A. -Peak Current: 38A (max. 15 sec.). -Internal Resistance: 34 m ohms. -Diameter: 37.2mm. -Length: 48.5mm. -Weight: 172g. -Shaft Diameter: 5mm. -Mounting Screw: M3 (Front) and M2.5 (Back). -Distance of Mounting Holes: 25mm (Front), 15.5mm (Back).

(bottom of page)
http://ecsvr.com/abm/ShopDisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes