Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by s_mack, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:47 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,250 Posts
Idea
Mike B, you're not welcome here (seriously... go away)

I was going to try to keep this a secret, so I recently announced an "idea" last week and had people PM me if they were curious because I didn't want a certain someone seeing it. But I also think a lot of people presumed it was a hair-brained profit motivated scheme I was cooking up, so I think a lot of people that WOULD be interested, just didn't want to bother with my "games"

Plus, communicating en masse by PM is ridiculously ineffective. So how can I keep it a secret and still be effective? Well, I can't. So Mike Blandford... please just put me on your ignore list or make a personal vow to not show your head in here! Seriously... go away.

If you're not Mike B, please continue reading (I mean it Mike... buy bye!)
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:08 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,250 Posts
Look, I know there are a ton of people that deserve just as much credit, if not more, as Mike does for our 9X firmware. Serious thanks goes out to FlySky for making this darned thing, to Thus for figuring out how to get custom firmware on it and for starting us all off.. a HUGE shout out to Eraz for the insane amount of work he did on Er9x before he stepped out. And countless others really. But I think we all know that we'd be WAY behind of where we are if Mike hadn't taken the reigns so adeptly and bore the brunt of the workload for this past year-ish, right?

So right now, right here... I want to do something for Mike for Christmas. I don't know exactly what, but to kick it off I figured I'd see who wants "in" and start collecting donations from people, with the idea that I'll match the donations up to $500.

From the people who I already PM'd back and forth with, there were several suggestions that we just hand him the cash but I want to say up front that I'm not cool with that, sorry. Maybe its just the way we did things in my family... or maybe its the fact I don't want PayPal to get the fees twice... but I just don't like cash for Christmas. That's what you get someone when you put absolutely no effort into finding something appropriate So that's off the table, at least for my matched share. If the majority of you indicate you prefer he gets cash, then I'll keep the funds separate and he can have your cash plus a matched valued gift.

One big problem with the collection is PayPal fees. It sucks giving up 3+% for nothing, but I don't see any way around it. It is what it is. Also, while I'll say "every little bit counts", please keep in mind that PayPal takes the first $0.30 RIGHT OFF THE TOP so don't bother giving really small amounts like that - they literally take it all.

Want to get started? Here's the button:

Some notes:
  • I say "Christmas" and my sincere apologies to whomever that may offend. To me it represents the time of year and the name, commercialized or not, stuck. Yes I understand it holds particular significance to one particular religion and the continued use of it is often seen as excluding other faiths... that's not my intention. I beg you to understand the INTENT and GOAL and not get hungup on my poor (or not) choice of wording. This is a non denominational solicitation!
  • I'm collecting in USD because my PayPal base currency is USD. Mike is in the UK so GBP might make more sense but I think (falsely?) that folks from around the world are used to transacting in USD while Americans are not used to transacting in non-USD so this is probably the simplest. Again, sorry if it offends.
  • We'll need to figure out a time limit. I'm heading out of town on the 22nd so I suppose I'll say the 21st is when we'll shut this down.

By all means offer up your suggestions! On what we can get for him or anything else. I just wanted to do something nice for the guy that's recently done so much for all of us. I can't say I thought of everything.

- Steven
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:23 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,703 Posts
Done, and thank you for organizing this Steven.

My suggestion earlier was to make a cash gift to Mike so he could best apply it to what he wants/needs most.

And stop trying to be so PC. Christmas is Christmas, Hanukkah is Hanukkah, whatever. 'Tis the season, so let's all get on the stick and show Mike our appreciation.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:51 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,249 Posts
Done. Mike deserves this and more.. He has been alone doing all the er9x programming for quite a while now.. I think if it wasn't him, er9x would be already a dead project..

Merry Xmas Mike

João
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:56 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,638 Posts
I'm down with this. Think it's a great idea as Mike's work has done so much to make our hobby more enjoyable.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:33 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,167 Posts
Sweet, done and done... thanks for organizing!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:31 AM
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,629 Posts
Would like to see the grin on his face

Thanks Mike for your hard work.

And Steve to make this possible.
blackmoon is offline Find More Posts by blackmoon
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:37 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,515 Posts
Excellent idea. I'm in.
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:16 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,250 Posts
Good job guys! Should I give updates on where we're at, or no?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:00 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Good job guys! Should I give updates on where we're at, or no?
That would be great!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:32 PM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
He has done just incredible job! I am in. As well, thank you steve.
reacher10 is offline Find More Posts by reacher10
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:16 PM
Sweden, Östergötland County, Linköping
Joined Jun 2011
42 Posts
I´m in.
Hasse.69 is online now Find More Posts by Hasse.69
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:06 AM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,765 Posts
Great Idea! Thanks Steve
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:16 AM
hot glue is my best friend
United States, NY, Savona
Joined Jun 2011
41 Posts
All of these guys are incredible and deserve our support. Steve, I've got 3 of your smarty boards, I took care of Erez a while back, and Mike....of course I'm in and thank you and Best Wishes for a Merry Christmas!!!
jjreds is offline Find More Posts by jjreds
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:49 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,250 Posts
Well, there were no objections to sharing the running total, so as of right now we're up to $226.97. As stated, I'll match that... bringing us to $453.94!!

TEN DAYS TO GO!