HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:42 AM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
690 Posts
Wow, nice planes everyone. I have a Skylake Nieuport 11 to convert.
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:33 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Might as well share my models too.
All models powered by the 8mm P-51 motor/gearbox and are controlled by an ar6400
Glenn
how is the performance with the corsair 3 blade prop compared to the stock 2 blabe p-51 prop?
meltor is offline Find More Posts by meltor
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:26 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,778 Posts
The 3 blade prop performs great on the T-28 and I think it flies better than the 2 blade.
The Skyraider is using 2 P-51 props cobbled together. The 4 blade is very close to overloading the motor, but it pulls the model along quite well.

The Hellcat and FW190 were never flown on the 2 blade, so I have nothing to compare. The 3 blade didn't perform that well on those 2 models due to the low pitch speed. The models are a bit on the porky side and need some speed.
I heated the blade root and twisted in some more pitch. This worked great and the increased pitch speed made both fly much better.
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:14 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
380 Posts
thanks,i have the 3 blade for my me109 kit 505 that is using the pz micro p-51 running gear i will have some pics of that soon.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:23 AM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
380 Posts
i will do a build thread at some point with a hyper link on beaver's thread.but this 109 uses the running gear in the same way as the pz micro p-51.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:38 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,778 Posts
2oz would be a very good weight that will be hard to achieve. If you can keep it that light it should fly fine with that prop. You might end up adding some pitch if it finishes out much heavier.
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:29 PM
I fly wood.
United States, MD, Columbia
Joined Jun 2009
81 Posts
Guillow's kit 304 PC-6 Porter conversion

Just finished a conversion of a Guillowís PC-6 Porter. I built it pretty much to the plans with a few modifications. The stabilizer is scale size. The rudder and elevator have 1/16 gussets at the corners along the hinge line for reinforcement and to mount the control horns. A .8 mm CF rod reinforces the connection between the elevator halves. I replaced the kitís tail wheel with a lighter one. The landing gear is the one supplied in the kit but the other braces are .8 mm CF rod. I taped the 3.7 gram servos to the cabin sides with double sided carpet tape. They are positioned between the wing dowels to make it easier to get at the screw for the servo arms. The push rods are 1 mm CF rod. I left the top of the cabin uncovered till the end after I had all the RC gear placed and adjusted. The firewall is 1/16 ply. First Iím going with the 5 gram motor and 4 x 2.5 prop. Iím hoping it has enough oomph. Later, I may change to a 10 gram motor when we aero tow small sailplanes. Fortunately, the motor mount is the same for both and I used a 3 pin connector to the 6 amp ESC to make the change easier. Iíll change the thrust angle as needed with washers when I do the test flights. I made a copy of the lower right corners of the F2 and F4 formers to make the battery hatch. There is a small balsa shelf with Velcro to hold the 138 mAh 2s battery in place. It is covered with Microlite. The AUW is 83 grams/3 ounces. Iím just waiting for the weather or a suitable indoor venue to do the test flights.
Bob from MD is online now Find More Posts by Bob from MD
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:09 AM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltor View Post
most of the p-40 set up i found on ebay and some parts came from china.it took a few weeks for the parts to get here but i think it was worth the wait.the servos are 2 1/2 gram that are available from many sources in china.these were 4 for 12.00 shipped.the motor is a 2200kv 9 gram brushless out runner also from china and was around 12.00 shipped.the esc i found here state side and is a 6amp pentium with with bec and was around 9.00 shipped.i bought the 4 channel orange reciver from a friend for 15.00 new and i believe that is the going rate.the batterys are 350mah 2s from a depron ultra light i fly and are from value hobby @ 3.50 ea.the prop i used was probably not the best choice but it flys the plane like mad.it is a thimble drone cox .020 prop 4x4.5 i believe.this plane came out @ 3 1/4 oz with the battery.if i remember the running gear was just under 2 oz.
there are some more details in the guillows p-40 thread but here is the vid i just made showing function.i have flown the p-40 a few times now and this set up works great.flight times should pass 10 min.i would imagine this will fly any of the 500 series but may be a bit heavy for some.i think it would be great for some of the 20-30 inch span biplanesand others.it may be a while before i get some flight vid as winter has really hit here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnZUwrNOlq0
here is some usefull info regarding gws props on the p-40 set up. i made some adaptors for my watt meter to see how far i could push this set up.350mah 20c 2s battery was full charged for each pull.
the origonal thimble drone .020 cox prop made 3.9 amps @ 28.6 watts
5x3 gws prop went 4.5 amps @ 33 watts
5x3 3 blade gws prop went 5.1 amps @ 33.1 watts
45x40 gws went 4.7 amps @32 watts
45x30 gws went 4.1 amps @ 30 watts
and the 5x4.3 gws went 5.4 amps @ 35.2 watts

yes i ditched the thimble drone prop which flew this plane fine.i'm just waiting for above freezing temps and a clear runway to test the gws props.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:22 AM
ET
United States, DE, Hockessin
Joined Apr 2006
681 Posts
Meltor,
Great info there. Very, very, very good. Thanks for taking the time to do that experimentation.
Eric
eteet is offline Find More Posts by eteet
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:29 AM
sambino
Waterloo Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2010
9 Posts
Aeronca C-3

This is my most recent indoor flyer based on a Tern Aero kit but enlarged by 150%.
At almost 27 inch span, it weighs 44 grams ready to fly. The covering is esaki tissue with two coats of 25/75 nitrate dope. Gear is Hobbyzone Champ motor and brick. Flying characteristics are good. I was originally intending to use small brushless power but the very high thrustline and pointy cowl shape made me go with the geared 8.4 mm coreless. Plenty of power for loops and similar nonsense although not very scalelike behaviour for an old Airknocker!
Sam
yosemitealoha is offline Find More Posts by yosemitealoha
Last edited by yosemitealoha; Feb 04, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
My stick & tissue Micro Eros

Hi Guys,
This is my offering for this thread.
Its my first micro model, so its a bit of a learning curve.
The model is a scaled down vintage Eros. Wingspan is 25" all balsa construction, covered in Solite.
Weight (without RC and motor) as she is in the pictures is 39g
I have just got an AR6400 brick for it with a micro 3A brushless esc and an AP03 motor, but I think the motor will get upgraded to AP05, as i'm going to need nose weight anyway, and the AP03 didnt seem to powerful on test on the bench
The only major mod from the original design is that I have given it an undercambered wing, so she will hopefully fly well indoors.
The whole motor / esc / rx combination is a learning curve for me, but if it works then I will build more vintage scale-downs!
Mark
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:15 AM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
380 Posts
FINALLY!! we had some tolerable weather and I was able to get some flight footage of my p-40.this will give you some idea of what to expect from this setup. I flew it with a gws 5043 prop.the battery was @ 55% after this flight so considering that it was 29 degrees outside the flight times will be much longer this summer!
Guillows p-40 rc test flight (4 min 55 sec)