HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:24 PM
ET
United States, DE, Hockessin
Joined Apr 2006
681 Posts
FAQ
Have you converted your small, stick-built FF model to RC? Post your setup!

Hi guys,

I'm starting this thread to find out what setups people are using when converting their small (24" wingspan or less) stick and tissue models from FF to RC. Looking for motor, prop, battery and speed control combos. Also receiver and servo combinations. And anything else you think is important!

Primarily interested in Guillows conversions but any and all setups with Herr, Dumas, Trittle and Sig, to name a few, are welcome. It would be gravy if you can throw in some statistics concerning AUW and what kind of performance you experienced.

So if you've done an RC conversion on a smallish stick built airplane that was originally a FF model please clue us in on what equipment you used.

This isn't the place for a full blown Build Thread, just the facts on your radio and power package....

Eric
eteet is offline Find More Posts by eteet
Last edited by eteet; Dec 09, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:49 PM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,175 Posts
I flew an embryo class stick/tissue model with a vapor brick and vapor prop/motor combo. It wasn't a Guillows (which are known for substituting oak for balsa), it was from BMJR Models, it was a very nice kit with good wood and instructions.

It was fine for scale-like power but as I'm not much of a pilot it wasn't enough oomph to get me out of sticky spots. Would opt for an 8mm geared motor next time if I do it again (4site, sukhoi, etc). OR, build it all specifically for RC by leaving out a lot of the structure, and saving several grams of weight.

Glenn
glenn2626 is offline Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Xtreme Video TX cable
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:14 AM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
681 Posts
Hey Glenn,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like that Embryo would be good for indoor flying.

Eric
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
422 Posts
Taylorcraft

I converted a stick and tissue Taylorcraft rubber model to rc. It uses the brick and motor from a Champ and flys great. Best, Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:40 AM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
681 Posts
That T Craft is pretty. What's the wingspan on it?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:56 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
422 Posts
Eteet, The WS is 21". My scale isn't working at the moment but it is pretty light. Cruises around nicely on calm days. Best, Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:49 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
380 Posts
i used the pz ultra micro j-3 brick and servos with a um p-51 motor gearbox and prop to fly a guillows 95 super cub 20" span.i found that the 500mah 3.7v battery worked the best as it added some needed nose weight.the modle weighs 2 1/4 oz with battery and flight times are more than 15 min.
i will get the info together from my p-40 build as i think that setup will fly many of the guillows planes.
meltor is offline Find More Posts by meltor
Last edited by meltor; Dec 10, 2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: add info
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
Life begins at 40
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
668 Posts
I did a sig tiger 21" span, with pz ump-51 motor and gear box+ar6400. Flies amazing.
addictedtoplanes is online now Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:41 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltor View Post
i used the pz ultra micro j-3 brick and servos with a um p-51 motor gearbox and prop,i will get the info together from my p-40 build as i think that setup will fly many of the guillows planes.
Hi Meltor,

I'd love to hear about how that power system does with some of the Guillows planes.

Eric
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:23 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
380 Posts
most of the p-40 set up i found on ebay and some parts came from china.it took a few weeks for the parts to get here but i think it was worth the wait.the servos are 2 1/2 gram that are available from many sources in china.these were 4 for 12.00 shipped.the motor is a 2200kv 9 gram brushless out runner also from china and was around 12.00 shipped.the esc i found here state side and is a 6amp pentium with with bec and was around 9.00 shipped.i bought the 4 channel orange reciver from a friend for 15.00 new and i believe that is the going rate.the batterys are 350mah 2s from a depron ultra light i fly and are from value hobby @ 3.50 ea.the prop i used was probably not the best choice but it flys the plane like mad.it is a thimble drone cox .020 prop 4x4.5 i believe.this plane came out @ 3 1/4 oz with the battery.if i remember the running gear was just under 2 oz.
there are some more details in the guillows p-40 thread but here is the vid i just made showing function.i have flown the p-40 a few times now and this set up works great.flight times should pass 10 min.i would imagine this will fly any of the 500 series but may be a bit heavy for some.i think it would be great for some of the 20-30 inch span biplanesand others.it may be a while before i get some flight vid as winter has really hit here.
guillows p-40 rc conversion-1/1 (8 min 25 sec)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:31 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
380 Posts
this is the running gear i used for the p-40 or other guillows rc conversion.not the best pic but this is what i tested the motor and esc on.i didnt test for watts but i did run it @ length and after a few min. the esc and motor were just barley warm.
Last edited by meltor; Dec 10, 2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: info
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:55 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
681 Posts
Meltor, wow! That's what I call a status report. Thanks for taking the time to provide all that info.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:17 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
380 Posts
no problem.i'm glad to see the intrest in the micro builds.i am currently building a me109 kit 505.it is using the running gear from a pz-micro p-51 as it is a smaller plane right about the same size of the pz p-51.i'm using lighter covering an really trying to make a lighter build.
i will be doing a build thread and posting it in the guillows build thread.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:25 PM
United States, FL, Perry
Joined Mar 2011
468 Posts
My 24" Waco YKS, orig a rubber model from one of my kits converted to RC, 10gm outrunner and a pair of 3gm servos. Covering is printed silkspan sealed with Deft brushing lacquer.
FLYBOB54 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOB54
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:55 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
380 Posts
cool waco.i like the taylorcraft too!