HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:33 PM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
235 Posts
Discussion
1/16 RC Bulldozer

Just picked a S/H dozer from car boot sale its 20" x 9" x 9" looks about 1/16 scale its screaming to be made R/C will use Heng Long gear boxes may use there metal tracks later they look about the same width 2" wide .

first job was to replace all the plastic running gear with alloy fully ball raced,
theres loads of room inside for the electrics
madphil is offline Find More Posts by madphil
Last edited by madphil; Dec 24, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:37 PM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
235 Posts
a coat of Komatsu yellow and some rust added loads more colours needed to get some depth to the finnish , i needed do some plating on the ripper it was mostly hollow at the rear will look at making that work later

Edit- started the detailing and weathering on the ripper still a long way to go lots of colours to build up , not happy with the plastic exhaust made a brass/alloy one, also the wrap round rear window will fabricate a more scale like 3 window rear section
Last edited by madphil; Dec 27, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:01 AM View Post
helen2
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:59 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,845 Posts
That build is intresting for I have an extra German 1.20th scale Panzen with motors that I am trying to figure out what to do with it . BUT I have been thinking along the lines of a WW-2 cat instad. With the over head cabler and blade in front then do it in army green .
THEN I would try to figure out how to make it go up and down.
Just a thought for now. BUT I am sure you know what happens with thoughts some times. ;-))
Neat build your doing for sure. DON THE Rustbucket
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:18 PM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
235 Posts
Thanks Rustbucket , Most of the large motorised "toy" bulldozers have motor driven front blades this one will raise/lower and tilt with a 3rd reduction gearbox at the front ,
it will be more work to make the ripper move at the rear i think i will fabricate a whole new rear section with better pivots just use this one as a scale patten

i wanted a bit of a challange starting with a $10 S/H motorised toy and building a near scale dozer with lights , smoke and sound mostly with tank parts where possible

i also picked up an older 1/16 scale caterpillar D8 with open cab this will make a great military version it will need a lot of fabrication work but its got the basic shape to work from and a nice detailed engine will build this at a later date
Last edited by madphil; Dec 24, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:12 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,845 Posts
Idea for now

Hello Well a few years ago I took one of the AMT kits that was the D-8 yellow cat and converted it into a WW-2 cat that the CBs use on the Ilands. IF I do it at all this will be the pattern I will use . This one is 1.35 scale . I scratch some of it . Had to cut down the motor from a an 8 to the smaller one also did the over heard cable system ane everthing that went to it . This one is only a display. BUT that other idea is still there . May do it some time I do have a chassis in 124 scale that work but I have to come up with the RC gear. THE Chassic as I told you is from a Panzer . I am what you call a general modeler. If you go back and look over some of the tank theards you would understand and I do enjoy scratch building other then kits. USE TO be an RC scale ship builder for many years. So It is not uncomon for me to do something different . . Keep up the good work and I do understand on what all is going and all of the work that is going into that project. Lots of fun and fustrating at times ;-)) DON THE Portland Rustbucket
Last edited by Rustbucket; Dec 11, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:15 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,845 Posts
FOR got picture

I had to rework a few other things. LOTS of fun and lots of time, BY the way what made you decide on that idea of yours. ? OR like me wanted something different eather way I like it .DON
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:14 AM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
235 Posts
Thanks Rustbucket your dozers look great think i will do a military one next ,when i saw the size of it, close to scale looking and allready motorised this needs buying and making R/C

am getting closer with my paint now will start on the electrics soon

EDIT- got rid of the wrap round rear windows fabricated a more scale like rear section also i have got more movement on my main blade now in the raised and tilted position
Last edited by madphil; Dec 17, 2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:03 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,845 Posts
HELLO Madphil. Thank you I like yours as well. All of my milatary except for my 16 scale RC tanks are all static at 1.32nd 35th scale . I have 4 that are RC tanks . I am still thinking about doing one dozer in 16 th scale some day since I have an extra 16th panzer chassic and a runing lepard that I could use as well for runing gear parts??..
I have look over my 35 th scale one a few times and who knows I may do one later
. BUT Your doing on fine job on yours . Ya do one as a mitlatary . NOT sure on how many milatary dozers are out there . Maybe we have the only ones ;-)) DON
O ya everything I have is HL.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:59 AM
Joined Jan 2008
8 Posts
Looks very good Phil, can't wait to see it in action.
I'm sure we'll get some snow for you to doze soon
Templ8 is offline Find More Posts by Templ8
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:26 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
this is cool as heck i cant wait to see it in action
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
235 Posts
Time to start on the inside/electrics theres lots of room to fit everything i have made the cab section "clip on" easy removeable for battery changing i can fit any large truck or buggy type battery through this opening
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
587 Posts
Very nice work guys.

I want to get a John Deer Crawler and RC it and militarize it as well.

~ Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:46 PM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
235 Posts
i have fitted HPI MC200 micro FWD/REVERSE speedcontrollers they are very smooth with great proportional control i thought i would give it a try with the stock motors and gearboxes it runs great but the motors are not powerfull enough ,
i am going to use fusion micro brushed 380's they are one of the most powerfull motors for there size ,

i have had a look at the gearboxes they use standard pitch gears so i can change to brass gears and fit bearings on the output shafts (pics to follow)
Last edited by madphil; Dec 25, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:09 AM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
235 Posts
Just had the first snow of the year not too heavy its time to clear the drive without leaving the house , its got the weight and torque to push the snow easy
i need it to snow more now then the Dozer can get to work