2,414 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726215
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:55 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,682 Posts
If you just want the start up slow down high pitch whistle use a all in one voltage controlled oscillator piezo buzzer connected to a 2 - 3s speed brushed speed controller...the higher the voltage the higher the pitch...look for the ones that induce headache when used inside a car....I bet you'll here that thing for a at least half mile...they're pretty inexpensive too.

You'd have to have a pot between the buzzer and the speed controller and then find out what will give you the whistle sound at what PPM from your radio with a servo controller...I'd think the travel would be very very fine at first depending on where the POT was set at.

Sound will be ear piercing whistle.

Next, do slow up and slow down on the fan via radio....even without piezo buzzer and 2 - 4s speed controller it's a pretty scale sound. mix your channel for the speed controller and the piezo buzzer with your esc channel if you can...connected it to same channel as ESC if not but would take some playing with the pot on

Your set....
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Last edited by erh7771; Dec 10, 2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:24 AM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Or you could install a turbine. lol
Here we go again...

One more time...not everyone has a turbine accessable field right out thier back door. I own turbine jets but can only fly them a few times a year because of the distance required to be allowed to fly it. But enough about that.

Kevin Cox said it best. All I want is

1)Turbine Off
2)Turbine Startup and Ramp
3)Turbine Shutdown (after flight)

That's it! I am not looking for a simple and gimicky pezo system. I'm not an electrical engineer so I want to buy something made by a pro.
Pepperpete is online now Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dro56595@bigpo View Post
Ok now this is closer to what I want!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:47 AM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,782 Posts
MrRCSound is using a microcontroller with a amplifier shield. Again, you can make one fairly inexpensively. You'd need wave files or mp3 files of the sound you want. The input from the RX would then trigger the sounds you want. You could Y in the throttle (or mix it in). Not a terribly difficult project.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:29 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
Ok now this is closer to what I want!
a friend and I are working on a unit as we speak. he's got the brains and I've got the connections. LOL. here's our business model..................

make a unit that is cheap enough and good enough, that everyone can afford it, use it and most of all, be happy with it. you will be able to plug it into your computer and download any WAV file, whether it be jet, piston, turbo prop, helicopter, etc, etc. the card will not only be cheap to buy, but the WAV files will also be a one time fee. you simply pay the fee and any time you like, you just go to the website and download whatever file it is that you want to use for your plane.

the unit won't be ready till early next year, but I can tell you it will be a fraction of that $500 price tag I saw above.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:43 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
This isnt it....but its too funny. You can make your minivan sound like a V8 or a Ferrari etc

Make Your Car Sound Like V8 Engine (1 min 59 sec)
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:47 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
Pepper..read your PMs on RCU
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Pepper..read your PMs on RCU
Hi Vett!

I went over to RCU and there isn't anything from you?? I'm assuming that's what you meant? Might have to resend bud.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
a friend and I are working on a unit as we speak. he's got the brains and I've got the connections. LOL. here's our business model..................

make a unit that is cheap enough and good enough, that everyone can afford it, use it and most of all, be happy with it. you will be able to plug it into your computer and download any WAV file, whether it be jet, piston, turbo prop, helicopter, etc, etc. the card will not only be cheap to buy, but the WAV files will also be a one time fee. you simply pay the fee and any time you like, you just go to the website and download whatever file it is that you want to use for your plane.

the unit won't be ready till early next year, but I can tell you it will be a fraction of that $500 price tag I saw above.

Rich
Count me in Rich. That sounds like exactly what I want. In fact all I want is this...

(3 position switch)

Position 0)Off
Position 1)Turbine starts and ramps up to full idle and sits at high idle for flight
Position 2)Turbine goes into shutdown and cooldown mode.

I want it this way and not tied to the throttle simply so I can override it if I don't want to use it.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:13 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
on this unit, you will be able to do everything you want, plus everything you don't want, but might want on another airplane. we are waiting for the first one to arrive, so it can be programmed and tested.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,704 Posts
Sounds great!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:57 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,139 Posts
I've got the ModelSolutions sound system. It's like a Benedini one but is made in Canada and is a little more plug and play. I bought it for my EDF airliners - APU statrup and run, engine start sequences, throttle up on runway... in flight basic sounds (mostly will just add to regular quet fan sounds for realism). Then, the reverse engine sounds on the ground and shut down sequence, etc.

It all "sounds" neat but the problem is weight and also some time needed by the builder to not only design the hardware installation of everything but also manufacture the sound files. The basic "jet" sound files I've found for these systems, even the really expensive ones, are not realistic in my opinion. So some tweaking needs to be done in Audacity and Garage band, etc - choose your favorite sound programming program. It's not hard but it takes some time.

Once you have figured out the sound files, to "transmit" good sound you need good speakers. To have good speakers you need a little $$ and some weight budget as you should have a good speaker box and there is no really long term solution for realistic sounds that can be heard outdoors and from farther away than right next to the model unless you have good speakers and good power to them.

For EDF, if you want your "jet" to sound like a real jet you need a quiet fan otherwise the loud fan will drown out any sounds.

So in effect, a really good sound system needs a quiet power system and a loud, powerful set of speakers and a lot of good work by the modeler to source their source files they work with. I've probably spent 50 hours working with sound programs and sample sound files tweaking and making sound loops and it is no simple task but it is doable. There is a way for someone who is willing to spend the time and budget the weight and expense of such a system but you have to be scale oriented to bother with it. For me, it's worth it.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,704 Posts
In fact I am talking with David from Model Sounds Inc in Canada and helped him edit a jet startup (F-16 for now) sound file. It's extremely impressive and if I can get any sound from the speakers, will be unreal cool. It just needed some minor tweaking that I was happy to do and will be loaded onto the unit I am ordering. I need sound in my plane.

I am also not concerned at all with hearing it in the air. Startup and Shutdown is all I care about so I think I'm golden.