HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:04 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
United States, KY, Leitchfield
Joined Jul 2008
442 Posts
Discussion
Magnum Reloaded kit.

Check out the thread over in scratchbuilt foamies for some information on the kit offered by WM Park Flyers.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23482632
BigD1961 is offline Find More Posts by BigD1961
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More SEFF pics.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:54 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD1961 View Post
Check out the thread over in scratchbuilt foamies for some information on the kit offered by WM Park Flyers.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23482632
I couldn't resist and ordered the kit and floats. I have all of the foam parts glued together. I used both Foam Tac and hot glue. You have to work with the wing tips to get them on correctly and hot glue worked best for those.

One thing I noticed with my floats is that one of the 4 side covers was 3mm thicker than the other three, and was smooth with mold dimples on it. Apparently they forgot to hot wire that side. I trimmed it down on my band saw so no biggie.

One thing I wasn't thrilled with was the texture of the foam. It is not smooth and almost has a texture like a corn cob. I inquired about sanding it down and it was suggested that I not do that as the foam had been hot wire trimmed which created a skin that aides in the foam strength. Oh well, as long as it flys well. I got the blue fuse and yellow wings. The colors do look nice and are very bright.

Even though this is a pretty simple build I did have a few questions that the instructions did not answer. The German to English translated instructions are pretty poor.

There is a cutout above the wing to place the 5g servos. I had to cut it deeper to fit my Hextronic servos in. Other than the servo location there are no recommendations in the instructions on where to place anything else.

The kit comes with "wicking" type CA hinges. I was originally going to use Blenderm tape hinges but the tape would not stick to the foam so I used the CA hinges. WMParkflyers recommends doing Foam Tac hinging. When beveling the control surfaces for hinging be sure to use a new blade as the spongy foam does not trim easily. Also do not trim edge super thin as small chunks will come out and make Foam Tac hinging more difficult.

I am waiting on a smaller Rx before proceeding with electronics installation. I hate to see stuff hanging on the sides so will explore how to hide the stuff.

Overall I am pleased with the kit and am guessing that it is going to be very durable.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Last edited by Rickochet; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:31 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
One thing I wasn't thrilled with was the texture of the foam. It is not smooth and almost has a texture like a corn cob. ...
The texture is normal for EPP.

Jürgen

P.S.: I like your US ARMY style decor.
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:43 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
The texture is normal for EPP.

Jürgen

P.S.: I like your US ARMY style decor.
Thank you. Whenever I get a blue and yellow aircraft I always like to put that decor on it.

This is my first experience with EPP. I do have several Elapor Multiplex aircraft and the texture of the MR is nothing like the elapors I have. One of the side panels for the floats had not been hot wire trimmed and was three mm wider than the other three. It stil had the mold dimples like the Multiplex aircraft. I trimmed it down on my band saw and it came out super smooth, much unlike the hot wired surfaces of the MR. So, I don't think that it is the EPP itself rather a result of the hot wiring. Here are some pics of the piece of the float I trimmed off showing both sides. I also noticed that the external side of the piece is much brighter than the inner trimmed side. I wonder if the outer sides have been painted and the surface is the result of a reaction with a paint?
Last edited by Rickochet; Jan 25, 2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:17 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
This is my first experience with EPP. I do have several Elapor Multiplex aircraft and the texture of the MR is nothing like the elapors I have. ...
I wonder if the outer sides have been painted and the surface is the result of a reaction with a paint?
Elapor is much different from EPP, especially as it is molded, rather than cut from a block.

The surface of your sample looks rather rough however. It should be a bit smoother. No paint is used in the process. The hot wire cutting emphasizes the color of the foam.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:53 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,538 Posts
Need CG Help

The instructions for CG say "65mm - 75mm from nose of stick."

I measurement from the wing leading edge would be more informative.

Help.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:01 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
We took one on holiday to the RC Hotel in Corfu for a little poolside action. Wonderful little plane and so relaxing.

Magnum Corfu (3 min 42 sec)
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old May 27, 2013, 07:34 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Apr 2005
563 Posts
I saw that video and I just had to buy the Magnum! Got it from RobotBirds (UK shop).
Put the kit together and setup with my new Jeti DS-16. This will be great for indoor meetings as well as summer evenings.
VinceHaworth is offline Find More Posts by VinceHaworth