HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:45 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
We'll certainly offer the Hawk as airframe only. No ESC or motor included.(still comes with an aileron servo)

The price may be slightly higher for the kit though because there is more of everything - including the sticker (the most expensive part of the kit) plus a good dose of laser cut plywood too for the struts. Haven't worked it all out yet but that's just my gut feeling!
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:56 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Completed the mods to the bipe over the weekend including moving all electronics forward by 8mm, increasing throw of ailerons a smidge and completely re-doing the fixed undercarriage using the addition of plywood for the legs as well as the existing wire. The undercarriage still 'splays' under load - as per the real aircraft but their is no movement aft now - which was the cause of many a nose over during the initial tests.

The photo shows the legs before shrouding once again in sticker material.

Now just need a decent weather window for it's second trial.

Also added a cavity in the fuselage above the motor mount to allow a small amount of ballast to be added should it be required. Having that ballast high on the nose should help the roll characteristics of the aircraft too

Started illustrating the P-6E this evening. Managed to get the top of the horizontal stab & elevator done. It's very different from the mostly metal fuselages of the WWII aircraft but I'm enjoying the new challenge. Better start stockpiling yellow ink for the printer!

Jon
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:48 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Top of upper wing done. This is going to be a very colourful and bright scheme. Makes a change!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:28 PM
Carbondale PA
Joined Aug 2005
562 Posts
Jon,

This is really going to be a beautiful model!

Joe.
Joe Malinchak is offline Find More Posts by Joe Malinchak
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Micro Laser 3D
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:53 AM
Joined Sep 2012
436 Posts
A good progress week for the artwork. All flight surfaces now done - apart from some weathering - but I think I'll keep this quite clean as they seem to be a very well maintained aircraft and obviously not being involved in an ongoing conflict would mean a better & more regular maintenance regime - I'm guessing!?!

Apart from the obvious, (wikipedia etc) does anyone have any links to detailed or interesting history of the aircraft illustrated, any famous pilots that flew the P-6E or anything about the squadron (17th Pursuit)?

Would like to start building up an historical record of the aircraft and maybe illustrate in a pilot into the cockpit - laser'd from thin ply with stickers applied to either side.

Jon
MICROACES is offline Find More Posts by MICROACES
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:49 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,634 Posts
Looks nice Jon. I have no idea on the history of the plane so no help there.

Though a bipe is not quite my cup of tea, I will support you by ording one of these when they are ready. I believe that strongly in your product.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:24 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
Looks Great Jon .. what program do you use for your graphics?
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:39 AM
Joined Sep 2012
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Looks nice Jon. I have no idea on the history of the plane so no help there.

Though a bipe is not quite my cup of tea, I will support you by ording one of these when they are ready. I believe that strongly in your product.
Thanks Obake, that is really very kind of you. I will admit that biplanes would also not be my first choice, but after having had the opportunity to design and build one thanks to you guys, this little Hawk has really turned my head!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Sep 2012
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy View Post
Looks Great Jon .. what program do you use for your graphics?
I actually use Photoshop to produce all the illustrations. It's a program I've become familiar with over the years using it in work as well as play. I end up with lots of layers, building up from a base of panels, paint, shade,details & highlights to emerge with the finished surfaces.

Jon
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:58 AM
Joined Oct 2008
239 Posts
First, I misunderstood what you said was going on with the gear; great solution to the actual problem.

For information,I looked at the Air Force Historical Research Agency: http://www.afhra.af.mil/factsheets/f...et.asp?id=9849. There's some information on that page about commanders, stations, etc. that might lead to other information.
djhurlbut is offline Find More Posts by djhurlbut
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Oct 2008
239 Posts
Ah, some more. Their commander was Maj. George P. Tourtellot. He ended up a Brigadier General: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/gptourtellot.htm

Later commander of the 35th fighter group: http://books.google.com/books?id=57g...tellot&f=false

I haven't found out much more information on him.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:12 PM
Joined Oct 2008
239 Posts
Actually, looks like two other commanders in that period, Maj Harlan T. McCormick, and Capt Dixon M. Allison, that might be of interest. A quick Google indicates both of them also became commanders of larger units in WWII
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:03 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
Ahhh thanks Jon .. very similar to Illustrator
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhurlbut View Post
Actually, looks like two other commanders in that period, Maj Harlan T. McCormick, and Capt Dixon M. Allison, that might be of interest. A quick Google indicates both of them also became commanders of larger units in WWII
Nice work djhurlbut. Some great references to get teeth stuck into! Thank you for that. Jon
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:07 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
A flash of inspiration hit me with the tail heavy issue. Probably due to the fact that I've spent a good few hours just illustrating the tail section of late!!

I decided to strip the existing vertical stab & rudder off the all white prototype and instead create a separate 3mm thick vert stab and rudder, rather than the 3mm x 2 thick continuation of the fuselage. Obvious really - but a little bit different from the 'normal' Microaces arrangement.

It certainly is a visual improvement for this model and I think it will improve performance too by reducing drag in that area. It has also shaved off about 0.5g of weight and by my calculation reduces ballast requirement at the nose by almost 1.5g.

You can see on the image of the starboard side that the rudder is hinged on the one side, with the other having the bevel. Not symmetrical then but I think it will look fine and it certainly seems to operate really well. Those hinge tabs will be hidden under the starboard side vert stab sticker in the final offering so you don't see them.

The other element of the solution I have been investigating is to use a 400mAh battery. This is 4g heavier than the 300mAh and would increase flight times nicely too. I have some on their way for testing. This will definitely help bring the weight forward and at least it will be useful ballast not just dead weight.

Jon