HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Dec 2011
234 Posts
Discussion
KK2 Micro Octo - loads of fun...

Have done a couple of test flights. Performs very well. Plenty of power. Gave 7 minutes of flight with GoPro and FPV equipment.

KK2 Micro Octo (2 min 40 sec)

The last clip in the video is from the GoPro in my first test. Plenty of jello because I simply strapped the GoPro directly on the frame.

Spec:
M2M 250 mm
TGY 1811 2900 KV motors
4" Props
HK 6A ESC with SimonK
KK2 FC
3S Batteries 1300 mAh - 2200 mAh
eirikso is offline Find More Posts by eirikso
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:11 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,391 Posts
Nice mini octo
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
234 Posts
Went out flying this small thing in the mountains:
Mountain Flight With my mini octocopter (3 min 44 sec)

It packs nicely in my ground station case together with my Futaba radio. Perfect for travelling and that occasional FPV sight seeing.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:07 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirikso View Post
Went out flying this small thing in the mountains:
http://youtu.be/4Lf1h7RVLys

It packs nicely in my ground station case together with my Futaba radio. Perfect for travelling and that occasional FPV sight seeing.
Really nice flying mate! I plan to build a similar in a "not too far" future... but not decided yet, that will be quad/hexa/octo... dunno which has better flying characteristics... (at the moment I would prefer a "deadcat" formfactor quad...)
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
234 Posts
I've built small quads, hexas and this octo. Really love the octo. Carries the GoPro with ease and gives the redundancy of an octo.

Had a non planned test of that here the other day. FPV'd into a tree but got out again without crashing. Continued my flight until the voltage on my OSD told me to return home. When I took my goggles off I could see that one prop was completely missing.

In other words: half of the flight was done with one prop missing. And I didn't even notice...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:18 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,391 Posts
Hi E,
Great testimony Octos rule for reliable redundancy!
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
I've built small quads, hexas and this octo. Really love the octo. Carries the GoPro with ease and gives the redundancy of an octo.

Had a non planned test of that here the other day. FPV'd into a tree but got out again without crashing. Continued my flight until the voltage on my OSD told me to return home. When I took my goggles off I could see that one prop was completely missing.

In other words: half of the flight was done with one prop missing. And I didn't even notice...
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,269 Posts
wooo, thats definately a tough reason... and where did you get the octo frame? or it was born of a marriage of two quad frames?
Last edited by bulesz; Dec 30, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:54 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Very cool Eirik! Have you found the need to do anything special for snow protection? We've had quite a bit (knee deep) of snow (uncharacteristic of late) this winter so I'm wondering what changes I might need to make to keep flying.

I haven't had a chance to re-build my tricopter since I broke it in late October. I don't think I'll be patient enough to not push the envelope (of my learning) to avoid the "unplanned landings" that I typically have on every flight.

cheers,
Andrew

PS. And your days are significantly shorter than ours right now.
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:02 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
When I took my goggles off I could see that one prop was completely missing.

I know nothing about octo's, still learning quads. If you lose a prop, will the ESC assigned to that motor act like there's still a prop there and keep the propless motor in check?
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:59 AM
Joined Dec 2011
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
Very cool Eirik! Have you found the need to do anything special for snow protection? We've had quite a bit (knee deep) of snow (uncharacteristic of late) this winter so I'm wondering what changes I might need to make to keep flying.
Haven't done anything special. I try to protect the flight controller and use tape to protect the escs. But lots of the electronics are still exposed. For the occasional and unplanned landing in the snow it is usually enough to simply blow it off.

The biggest problem is the motors. When they are slightly warm some of the snow that gets into them melt. And if it is really cold it will freeze again pretty fast. Leaving the motor stuck with ice inside. That condition effectively ends all flying until you can get inside and thaw/dry it.

And yes, the days are pretty short here now. But for the hours of sun at noon we have some very nice, kind of constant evening sun...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:03 AM
Joined Dec 2011
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
I know nothing about octo's, still learning quads. If you lose a prop, will the ESC assigned to that motor act like there's still a prop there and keep the propless motor in check?
I guess both the FC and the ESC keeps feeding the prop less motor. But the FC will compensate giving the motors on that side more power because of the missing lift at that side of the copter. With eight motors you still have three of them on that side to compensate. Don't know if the prop less motor eventually would get into trouble because it spins happily along but with no "friction" from the prop.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:24 PM
Joined Dec 2011
234 Posts
I've had some questions regarding the mini-octo. Unfortunately I don't have a proper build log, but here's some more info:

It was built kind of randomly. I had 8 of the small 2900 KV motors lying around. And a whole lot of wooden pins @ 260 mm. So I figured, why not try to build a mini-octo. I love small multirotors. They're easier to carry and much less dangerous than the big flying food processors...

Because the wooden pins all where 260 mm the M2M ended up being 260 mm. The problem is that with 4 inch props that's actually not big enough. The props overlap. But fortunately I didn't bother to mount the pins nicely to get them at level. I simply glued them on top of each other. Meaning that the motors are actually on slightly different heights. And the props overlapping with a couple of mm. Seems to work fine anyway.

I think I get a lot of the stability from the SimonK-flashed ESCs. The motors are very high KV to be running at 3S batteries. I originally bought them to be used on 2S batteries. But I figured they would work as long as I used those small 4" props. I haven't been flying this thing for hours, but it seems to work. The motors are not very hot when landing after a 7 minute flight.

The bottom plate is mounted on rubber dampeners. Kind of like this method:
http://eirikso.com/2012/02/03/how-to...or-helicopter/

It holds the battery and the GoPro.

Gives close to no jello. Even with non balanced motors and non balanced props.

Some more images are attached. For full resolution of the same images:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l7a24tp9sdoylhi/Tt6svsxyXe
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
234 Posts
And by the way. It lifts my Sony RX100 as well:
Quick test of RX100 on a mini octocopter (2 min 4 sec)
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:12 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,269 Posts
Nice and clever built! Dude how could you avoid the shaky images of the GoPro as in the first video... ? Have you changed the mount of the camera?
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz View Post
Nice and clever built! Dude how could you avoid the shaky images of the GoPro as in the first video... ? Have you changed the mount of the camera?
Indeed. See image number two in my previous post: "BottomPlateRubberMount copy.jpg"

...and the link to the article on my blog.