SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:11 AM
One more flight!
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Dec 2012
128 Posts
Discussion
Can I use different size gage wire for my battery leads on my PCB?

I have this PCB for my SK450 quadcopter: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ain_Frame.html
and i bought this battery to fly it: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9952

The battery came with 10 AWG size wire but I neglected to buy more 10 AWG wire and only have 14 AWG. Can I just use the 14 AWG as battery leads off of the PCB. In other words, I want to solder the 14 AWG to my PCB and put an EC3 connector on it. Then take my battery with the 10 AWG wire and power the quad with it. Will this be ok? Please help!
Yodigity514 is offline Find More Posts by Yodigity514
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:00 AM
Woof!
Denmark, Region Zealand, Roskilde
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
You know, that really depends...
Mostly on the total amperage of your flying machine.. but also a bit on the length of the wire.

You didn't specify the size of your quad, but if it's not terribly big/heavy lifting, I'd say try it.. and if the wires get warm, you can simply use two wires in parallell.
Great_Dane is offline Find More Posts by Great_Dane
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:22 AM
One more flight!
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Dec 2012
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Dane View Post
You know, that really depends...
Mostly on the total amperage of your flying machine.. but also a bit on the length of the wire.

You didn't specify the size of your quad, but if it's not terribly big/heavy lifting, I'd say try it.. and if the wires get warm, you can simply use two wires in parallell.
That's very helpful thank you. I am just going to be carrying the battery, kk2 board, and my receiver for now so no extra weight. I am using the 28-26 (1000 kv) motors which shouldn't be stressed with that weight. I really don't think i will be taxing the power distribution much with this setup.

The plan is to later add FPV gear and I may have to simply redo the battery leads. For now I am gonna give it a shot with the 14 AWG wire and just watch the temperature for now. Thanks again!
Yodigity514 is offline Find More Posts by Yodigity514