SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:39 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,027 Posts
Lets just say I have a Bird in mind and it Ain't an airliner!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:46 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
It's a 70mm max EDF contest

though....
It does raise an issue that could pop up, and a proposed addition to the rules....

"Model must take off and complete the flight solely under the power of its 70mm EDF power system."
That'll keep the hot-air balloon ascents, helicopter drops, rocket boost, tow planes, etc out of our hair. Not even a separate prop power system to ascend for that first diving pass.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Last edited by murdnunoc; Dec 14, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,272 Posts
How about unlimited aside from the 70mm fan size

If you toss, winch, bungee, drop, rocket, or any other devised method of getting in the air we keep it simple.

I like the idea of unlimited rules and launch method I don't feel should be a limit.
Air Head is offline Find More Posts by Air Head
Last edited by Air Head; Dec 14, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:23 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Lets just say I have a Bird in mind and it Ain't an airliner!
Chris, you and I seriously need to talk about this. I've got some very "interesting" ideas.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:07 PM
F-OFF
Joined Mar 2007
1,056 Posts
I say if you use a tow plane and you rocket assist and you dont break 200 you win the moron award lol
imyohero is offline Find More Posts by imyohero
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:48 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
Chris, you and I seriously need to talk about this. I've got some very "interesting" ideas.
Well Rich I'm keeping my design for this 70mm bullitt "Top-Secret" for now Lol, but I will be building two. I've come up with a formula that should go well over 200 Miles per hour only question is will I be able to fly her visually or have to go FVP?

So the rules are No rockets, No air or drop launch, And she must take-off & land under the power of electric 70mm fans only, . . . .O.K. and away I go Drawing up plans tonight on "Project-Superbird" Meep-Meep!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:17 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I'm telling you Chris, we really need to talk.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:28 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imyohero View Post
I say if you use a tow plane and you rocket assist and you dont break 200 you win the moron award lol
I agree. The thought just came into my mind once we started tossing rockets around. Rocket plus EDF for propulsion should seem like an obvious breach of the contest, but someone claiming the rocket is just JATO isn't quite so far fetched.

Rise off ground, bungee, and hand launch are common methods. I was just thinking out of the box, trying to put my mind in the place of someone looking for a "sneaky" way to do it.

I guess my own statement of "Model must take off and complete the flight solely under the power of its 70mm EDF power system" wasn't well thought out, as it technically knocks out hand launch and bungee launch...
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:08 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,266 Posts
Just to give the non-readers something to look at.... Here`s a basic side view of my 35mm. If you print it out and enlarge it so that the fan housing area is about 78mm (large enough to hold a 70mm fan) it should be large enough to hold what you need to go 70mm.

I`m actually working on a fuselage that`s a little slicker for my 70mm, but the basic layout of fan and flying surfaces won`t change much.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:21 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,909 Posts
Tom, darpa is missing a hypersonic drone..... Told the Fbi today I dont know you!!!
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:51 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Just to give the non-readers something to look at.... Here`s a basic side view of my 35mm. If you print it out and enlarge it so that the fan housing area is about 78mm (large enough to hold a 70mm fan) it should be large enough to hold what you need to go 70mm.

I`m actually working on a fuselage that`s a little slicker for my 70mm, but the basic layout of fan and flying surfaces won`t change much.
Very Nice design sir!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:54 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,494 Posts
The only addition to the rules would be a technical one stating the guidelines mirror the AMA flight rules of no pyrotechnics/rockets or sparklers!
Bungee? Heres one for you all! So an older guy is helping a younger fellow with a 40mm F-18, he's got the bungee stretched out to about 50lbs of tension and lets go. The little jet probably did 200 mph for 20 feet then disintegrated! Watch you bungee tension!

New question to the masses: Would you all be opposed to allowing Twin 70mm to the Speed Chalange? We all know the difference and at the same time who cares? Its about going past 200 mph! A single fan would have just as many bragging rights and recognition as a twin fan, while the challanges are totally different electrically and wing loading.
Keep em comming!
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Last edited by ApexAero; Dec 15, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:44 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,494 Posts
Video your Passes!

This still seems to be the best way to capture flights with a hat cam, there is no relying on others for the duty!
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:44 AM
Formerly "Heli Copter"
United States, CA, Watsonville
Joined Apr 2009
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post

So the rules are No rockets, No air or drop launch, And she must take-off & land under the power of electric 70mm "fans" only, . . . .O.K. and away I go Drawing up plans tonight on "Project-Superbird" Meep-Meep!
So, I noticed the word "fans"! Are two "fans" in line not a twin?
Jetsom is offline Find More Posts by Jetsom
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:25 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
two fans in line means the power of one fan. in fact, that should be allowed, because it would actually be considered to be a detriment on many levels. I say go for it. LOL.