HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:44 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
LOL. I'll be using a little more than 6S.

I can't remember if there's a limit on cells at Ottawa, but if there isn't, I'll run what fits in the plane.

the design I have will do more than 200 MPH, but the power system is what counts. the airframe and wing is capable of more than that though. the airfoil and the airframe are refined for Reynolds numbers seen at 250-300 MPH, so optimized for those speeds.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:39 PM
Canada
Joined Dec 2005
201 Posts
WOW looks like you got something to blow the competition! Theres no max cell counts in Ottawa. Biggest baddess wins.
Ive been experimenting with 8s on my 70mm jets but Im not getting increased performance, just a cooler setup. I know that a good clean setup even on 5s on the right airframe can do over 170mph. But Im no builder and I know that these scale airframes Im using isnt gonna break speed records. So I may just sit back and watch you guys

Daniel
johnny_0 is offline Find More Posts by johnny_0
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:46 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,906 Posts
Awesome Lee!

I'm sure everyone is waiting to see how yours fair and they will design based on your findings.
That's what I would do if I were to be a contestant....follow the leader and design UP from there
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:09 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,559 Posts
Thanks Kevin, yeah, I hear ya.

I`ll be flying this pretty soon. Hopefully, it will at least set the bar. Then we`ll see what happens next.

Weight at this point is only 12oz, so I`m still hoping to hit my airframe target weight of 16oz.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Dec 29, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:11 PM
1 OM KAR, SATNAAM
GTA , Ontario
Joined May 2004
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
LOL. I'll be using a little more than 6S.

I can't remember if there's a limit on cells at Ottawa, but if there isn't, I'll run what fits in the plane.

the design I have will do more than 200 MPH, but the power system is what counts. the airframe and wing is capable of more than that though. the airfoil and the airframe are refined for Reynolds numbers seen at 250-300 MPH, so optimized for those speeds.

Rich
Hello, I don't know who you are but any time you want to compete in friendly manner here in Mississauga, Ontario come on down. I will be happy to put my little 60mm jet up to challenge.

I thought, I welcome you to our jet club close to you, before going to Ottawa. I went their last year and I was quite dispointed in speed the event. It was handled with no rules and sissy way to measure speed with a cell phone. What a joke, one place i will not be heading back so soon.

I hope Ottawa club mans up and post CLEAR rules and proper way to measure speed, so people can take the club and contest seriously.

satnaam
1satnaam is offline Find More Posts by 1satnaam
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
it's quite easy to do really. all you need to do is video every flight and then upload it to a laptop with a doppler program. you'd have the answer in less than 5 minutes. of course, the other way to go is to use a radar gun and you have instant results. using a cell phone isn't accurate enough. I'm interested to know how the cell phone was used exactly. was there some sort of doppler app or a speed app on the phone?

I may take you up on your offer satnaam. I'm always up for flying and meeting new people. what 60mm jet are you flying? perhaps you should enter it in this contest. the rules say 70mm maximum and not limited to 70mm fans. if you can win on a 60mm fan, then I would take the chance on winning.

Rich
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:31 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
Oh I am in on this one. Since my 1st Spear hit tad over 190mph with dirty intakes/exhaust I am cleaning all that up, bump up the power a tad and should be over the 200 mark I think. Got a couple months to build and taking my time, some glassing of wings ect...this should be fun!
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:39 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
190 in the Spear? Averaged passes?
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:39 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if you watch the video, it was going just as fast in both directions. it was hauling the mail.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:42 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
Ha Darrin!! wait untill you see how I did my intake area... Oh btw, dont make me post YOUR Spear videos....what a train wreck!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by fh64_lucky; Dec 29, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:28 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
Ha Darrin!! wait untill you see how I did my intake area... Oh btw, dont make me post YOUR Spear videos....what a train wreck!
Post em! I want to Doppler the half throttle passes to get a feel for what it can do at full noise.
Got a lil tweaking to do, I'll admit. But we could tell it WANTED to go!
It'll be set up on the 16/35/1 motor and Efflux Mach fan next weekend so at least she'll see some well-deserved air time.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:50 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
OK, the 23 second pass at half throttle is the ONLY pass you could check....and your welcome for my insite of your setup at end of video....
DSCN1707 (0 min 54 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:44 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,559 Posts
Well, while you guys were out flying, I was continuing my quest to make the biggest pile of balsa shavings and dust in history.

Weight....13oz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Dec 30, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:48 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Clean, simple and elegant! Form and function equals 237 in projected speed as its doing about 180 sitting still.
Officially Lee is in the lead guys. Get off your creative assets...
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:16 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Clean, simple and elegant! Form and function....
Thanks Tom, but you forgot, amazing, futuristic and highly intelligent LOL.

PS....your estimated speed may be closer than you think, I`m thinking 230+ yep.
RCG Plus Member