SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:02 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,104 Posts
Discussion
Jeti DC-16 Fixed Wing Programming

OK Jeti DC-16 and soon to be DS-16 owners, here's a thread devoted to programming issues and questions regarding this great radio as it relates to fixed wing aircraft.

Fire away!

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:36 PM
Airborne whenever I can.
Canada, AB, Edson
Joined Dec 2006
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
OK Jeti DC-16 and soon to be DS-16 owners, here's a thread devoted to programming issues and questions regarding this great radio as it relates to fixed wing aircraft.

Fire away!

Steve
Thanks, subscribed.
Still waiting for my unit to arrive.

PAT
PAT-T is offline Find More Posts by PAT-T
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:51 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,104 Posts
I'll start with some suggestions for future programming fixes. When you set up a new plane and go through the basic properties, the minimum wing configuration is 1 aileron (no flaps). I suggest Jeti offer a 0 Flap, 0 Aileron option. Yeah, a small nit but makes sense when flying rudder/elevator only.

On to bigger stuff. If you set up wing type with 0 Flaps and 1 Aileron, when you get to the next screen: Functions Assignment, you see there's now 1 aileron control and 1 flap control set up, with the flap control assigned to P5 (a slider). When you go to the next screen: Servo Assignment, no flap servo is active. I don't think it makes sense to have an active control without a servo assigned to it and in this case, flaps should not be assigned in the Functions Assignment screen.

If you set up a "Normal" Tail Type with 2 elevators and 2 rudder servos (Basic Properties Menu), then move onto the Servo Assignment screen, you see 2 elevator servos and only 1 rudder servo. Doesn't make sense to me. The Tail Type description should be accurately reflected in the Servo Assignment screen.

If you set Tail Type to "None" in Basic Properties, rudder and elevator are set up as controls, but no servos are assigned in the next Servo Assignment screen.

A similar situation occurs when you set Engine Count to 0.

Bottom line: Function and Servo assignments should match with each other.

Steve
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:15 PM
Airborne whenever I can.
Canada, AB, Edson
Joined Dec 2006
564 Posts
Quote:
I'll start with some suggestions for future programming fixes. When you set up a new plane and go through the basic properties, the minimum wing configuration is 1 aileron (no flaps). I suggest Jeti offer a 0 Flap, 0 Aileron option. Yeah, a small nit but makes sense when flying rudder/elevator only.

On to bigger stuff. If you set up wing type with 0 Flaps and 1 Aileron, when you get to the next screen: Functions Assignment, you see there's now 1 aileron control and 1 flap control set up, with the flap control assigned to P5 (a slider). When you go to the next screen: Servo Assignment, no flap servo is active. I don't think it makes sense to have an active control without a servo assigned to it and in this case, flaps should not be assigned in the Functions Assignment screen.

If you set up a "Normal" Tail Type with 2 elevators and 2 rudder servos (Basic Properties Menu), then move onto the Servo Assignment screen, you see 2 elevator servos and only 1 rudder servo. Doesn't make sense to me. The Tail Type description should be accurately reflected in the Servo Assignment screen.

If you set Tail Type to "None" in Basic Properties, rudder and elevator are set up as controls, but no servos are assigned in the next Servo Assignment screen.

Steve
I believe this because of the full open programming, people have to assign everything themselves, this is another beast as the TX's most pilots are used to.
Can't check on it yet, but soon.

PAT
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:37 PM
Airborne whenever I can.
Canada, AB, Edson
Joined Dec 2006
564 Posts
Quote:

Steve
What software version is your TX? I assume you should have the latest.

PAT
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:06 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nottinghamshire
Joined Dec 2003
570 Posts
A proper detailed index in the manual would be useful so that you could find what you are looking for quickly and easily without having to thumb through all 98 pages every time.

In my own case I needed to convert the Tx from Mode 2 to Mode1 and so I followed the instructions in the manual detailed at 4.3.5. and that was fine. At the end of the process of physically swopping the sticks you are told that you MUST set up the correct mode in the software menu to complete the process and you are refered to 9.6.1. Sounds straightforward except there is no 9.6.1.!! So eventually after much searching you arrive at the required information at 9.5.1.(para 3).

In my view it would perhaps be better to keep all the necessary information to complete a given task in one place and thus avoid any errors in the cross referencing.

In addition could I also suggest that it would be appropriate to include in the manual the advice that "When taking the back off the case to do any work inside the Tx an Anti Static Strap should always be used to prevent any electrostatic discharge and thus avoid the possibility of accidental damage to componants."

I know that this system is new and very sophisticated and that there are bound to be teething troubles so I don't mean to complain unduly about what is a superb product, but rather to offer some ideas for future ease of use.
Stan Rose is offline Find More Posts by Stan Rose
Last edited by Stan Rose; Dec 09, 2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:48 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,104 Posts
Stan, I think we all agree with you. This thread is not intended to knock the DC-16, instead it's to highlight ways to make it better. Great idea about the index.

Pat, I don't have the most current software loaded but I will do so. Up til now I've been using a Weatronic conversion of my MPX 4000s and every time you change the TX software you have to change every RX associated with it. Talk about a real PIA.

Steve
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:55 AM
Lou
Well, that should buff out.
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,754 Posts
Yes, Index is a must. The first think I notice about manual was the index.

SteveR ... perhaps your first post can be used to house links to solutions in this thread and maybe other threads.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:59 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,104 Posts
Obake, great idea about linking but I've got very limited expertise in that area, perhaps you can jump in and help out.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
Index

Here is an index that I prepared for my own use. ZB you are welcome to use it if you see fit. If someone can explain to me how to attach this file
billdor is offline Find More Posts by billdor
Last edited by billdor; Dec 09, 2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: trying to add attachment
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:48 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,184 Posts
Index

I like the idea of an index, also.

In the meantime, I downloaded the manual and opened it with a PDF viewer. I rely upon the "Find" operation along with "Find Next". It takes a while, but I have found everything I needed, so far, with maybe two or three attempts.

A cross-referenced index would be best as the typical "Find" command cannot distinguish context. For example, I was attempting to create a variable crow set-up and was in the "Fine Tuning" of the "Butterfly" menu. I saw the "Apply" button, and failing to RTFM, I pressed it and was puzzled by the result. The manual does explain it, well, but I had to find where "Apply" was described in the *context* of the Butterfly fine tuning menu.

A great learning experience, so far, but what a slow learning curve. :-)

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Yes, Index is a must. The first think I notice about manual was the index.

SteveR ... perhaps your first post can be used to house links to solutions in this thread and maybe other threads.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:07 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,754 Posts
Here is link to Esprit site with DC-16 manual created on 6 December, 2012

http://file.espritmodel.com/document...jeti-dc-16.pdf

This is for FW 1.06 and has a reasonable TOC at the front. Manual still has a TOC section listed as 1.2 but I think that is a left over and is not needed perhaps.

Anyway it appears to be the latest and greatest thus far.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:12 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,754 Posts
Quote:
Obake, great idea about linking but I've got very limited expertise in that area, perhaps you can jump in and help out.
All I do is right click and copy link into edit screen and save. There is a way to give the link a name but I do not know how to do that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:10 AM
Czech Republic
Joined May 2010
78 Posts
Hi guys, if you have ideas to make this product better, please contact Jeti directly. It is impossible to keep a track on all forums and your ideas will probably not get lost under a ton of other comments.

Edit:
Quote:

Steve, if you go to New model, then go through all options until Servo Assignment, everything is ok. But then if you press "Back" button and change any property of Basic properties, the features in the following menus aren't reset automatically according to your settings - you have to press "Auto" button to reset to default state according to Basic properties. This is a disadvantage of open assignment and programming.
MafRaf is offline Find More Posts by MafRaf
Last edited by MafRaf; Dec 11, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:03 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,104 Posts
Thanks MafRaf! Didn't know about the "auto" button. One approach is to to have all the Jeti users note their comments on this thread and then every month we'll send you a summary of all the new issues and questions. We really appreciate a factory that listens to its customers. That is not the case with other radio manufacturers.

Steve