SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2001, 06:28 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2001
13 Posts
Co-Pilot - Auto-Stabilization Unit

As promised, below there's a link to some pics that we took over the weekend while testing FMA's new Co-Pilot Product.

In several of the pics you'll see a woman that we literally "grabbed off the street" to try the Co-Pilot. The pics should say it all. In the one shot from behind her...that "spec" is the Co-Pilot equipped Windstar sailplane. This was the first time that this lady had ever held and R/C Tx and she flew many circuits with only verbal instruction. If anyone has any questions...Feel free...

Click here to view the pics...
smarkest is offline Find More Posts by smarkest
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2001, 08:15 PM
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
9 Posts
Okay, several questions.

The FMA website says...."senses the difference in infrared signature between the earth and the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to provide 100% real time, day or night stabilization "

it also says...."sensors may be located anywhere on the outside of the model where it can “see” the horizon in all directions"

My question is if it measures infrared signature, why does the sensor need to see the horizon? and if it needs to see the horizon, how does it provide night stabilization, since the horizon would not be (clearly) visible at night? Related to this is how important is the "horizon thing"? will the co-pipolt work in mountainous terrain or perhaps in a river valley?

Another question, I read in another post where the current co-pilot will not work with electronic CCPM, but FMA is working on a unit that will. Can you verify this?
rchrookie is offline Find More Posts by rchrookie
Old Nov 19, 2001, 09:45 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2001
13 Posts
The "horizon" is should properly be definied as the separation of earth and the atmosphere. The Co-Pilot senses the difference between the earth (warmer) and the surrounding atmosphere. Trees, etc do not appear to have too much affect on the Co-Pilot as the earth is still warmer than those other objects.

We're still experimenting with the Co-Pilot and I would assume that, on one of our cold winter nights here in upstate NY, the Co-Pilot will have more difficulty resolving the difference in temperature.

We'll know more as we fly the unit but the initial findings are that the Co-Pilot is capable of correcting to and maintaining a level attitude. It'll be more interesting as the temperatures get colder and the wind speed picks up.

Hope that helps a little...
Old Nov 20, 2001, 02:40 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
30 Posts
"Another question, I read in another post where the current co-pilot will not work with electronic CCPM, but FMA is working on a unit that will. Can you verify this?"
Haro is offline Find More Posts by Haro
Old Nov 20, 2001, 03:17 PM
Menlo Park, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
179 Posts
Am I the only one who is completely blown away by this product? I am thinking of trying it out on my micro-helis. Probably too heavy for the Piccolo, but it could help me learn how to do aerobatics on my Hornet.

/Loren
G. Zod is offline Find More Posts by G. Zod
Old Nov 20, 2001, 03:27 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
" Am I the only one who is completely blown away"

Show me the off the street lady flying the heli, and I'll be blown away.
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Nov 25, 2001, 06:29 AM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,962 Posts
Smarkest,

You seem to know this 'co-pilot' more than others, maybe you could answer acouple of questions of mine.

1) Would this 'co-pilot' work on a indoor heli ?.

2) Would this 'co-pilot' work with a aileron/elevator fixed-wing airplane ?. Or must it be rudder/elevator setup ?.

Thanks

.................................................. .................................................. ..
OK, I went back to FMAs site and reread the specs and answered #2 myself.

#1 still stands.

Thanks again
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Last edited by William A; Nov 25, 2001 at 06:43 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2001, 08:14 AM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2001
13 Posts
Sorry gang...

I've been a little out-of-touch due to the holidays. I'll try to anser everything now.

Haro:
FMA is working on a "multi-channel" version of the Co-Pilot that will work with CCPM. The current version will not work with CCPM.

G. Zod: You're right, it probably is too much for the Piccolo although the unit is pretty light. You'll have to switch or mix (preferred) the Co-Pilot sensitivity in order to do aerobatics. At full sensitivity the Co-Pilot will over-power your commands (hey, it doesn't know that you were trying to learn a loop) and attempt to correct the airdraft to a level flight mode.

KingJamez:
Check out the pics in the link I sent...You'll see one pic taken from behind her that shows a little speck in the sky. That was the sailplane. She really did fly quite a few circuits with only verbal cues as to when to turn. We've also had a 6-yar old (Ray's son) flying the Co-Pilot...VERY successfully.

William A.:
NO the Co-Pilot would not be very successful indoors...It needs temperature differential to work properly. Yes, Co-Pilot will wirk with Ailerons as instead of rudder.

Hope that helps some...

Regards,
Old Nov 25, 2001, 11:44 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,826 Posts
Hi smarkest,

Can you tell us more about the multichannel version. Like what channels, how many are actively controlled at once, is the unit the same size etc?

Thanks

Q
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 28, 2001, 01:07 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
What's the difference between Co-Pilot and a gyro? HobbyLobby sells gyros that seem to do the same thing as Co-Pilot. Is this so?

Also, how much setup is involved in the CoPilot system? Say into a Wingo?
quietfly is offline Find More Posts by quietfly
Old Jan 12, 2002, 07:58 PM
mac
Joined Nov 2001
3 Posts
FMA Web site

I am interested in the copilot. Do any of you know the address of FMA I am not able to find them on the web
Thanks, Mac
macc@qualtechnet.net
mac is offline Find More Posts by mac
Old Jan 12, 2002, 08:14 PM
PA
Joined Nov 2001
34 Posts
https://www.fmadirect.com/html/2000_....htm?item=1476
mniadna is offline Find More Posts by mniadna
Old Jan 12, 2002, 08:39 PM
mac
Joined Nov 2001
3 Posts
Thanks for the website info.
mac is offline Find More Posts by mac
Old Jan 13, 2002, 12:42 PM
eastern CT
Joined Nov 2000
83 Posts
Maybe if we are lucky someone will make a device that will allow us to press one button,the heli will fly a preset circuit and land-ALL WITHOUT OPERATOR INPUT.
johnrip is offline Find More Posts by johnrip
Old Jan 13, 2002, 09:04 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,800 Posts
Then why do RC at all. Watch TV!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk