HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:38 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,348 Posts
Discussion
kyosho edge 540 red bull epp foam thoughts?

does anyone know about this plane? is it a good company and is it worth consideration? 1200 kv bl, 30 esc, 11.1 batts, 48 inch wingspan, 12x6 prop. just some specs. saw it and thought i would ask those in the know if this plane would be worth getting? thanks, walt.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:34 AM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
It is my favorite model on phoenix sim as it flies just like my 47" hacker edge 540 Kyosho is a pretty well known company especially in the car/truck department. With a 3s lipo, 45a esc, 990kv motor and 12x6 prop my edge is pretty good so I am sure that setup is great for the kyosho. I am not sure how well the stock 30amp esc is though? Maybe someone with experience flying this plane will know.
EPP foam is awesome, I have ripped the gear/underside off my 540 and the foam breaks cleanly (its tough though so it is hard to break). It all glues right back in place.
kennyhoc3 is offline Find More Posts by kennyhoc3
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:06 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,348 Posts
i dont like side battery compartment door set up. looks fiddley. youtube of esc dying and causing crash on maiden. scary! i might just go parkzone extra 300 and get creative with paint.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:23 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Being slightly smaller it would be easier to transport. At-least it would be for me when I am taking the car
kennyhoc3 is offline Find More Posts by kennyhoc3
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:03 PM
K_B
1D Flyer
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Sep 2012
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
i dont like side battery compartment door set up. looks fiddley. youtube of esc dying and causing crash on maiden. scary! i might just go parkzone extra 300 and get creative with paint.
Anything can happen on a maiden. I wouldn't let one youtube video turn you off. If I had read through the PZ Extra 300 threads before I got one, I probably never would have bought one. And that plane is a hoot. Even with the alleged "wing issues"

Is this the plane you're referring to?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1278292
K_B is offline Find More Posts by K_B
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
The Edge had an issue with the first run of ESC's that was taken care of a while ago. I love mine but if I had to complain it would be side hatch is kind of iffy in terms of design and the battery is more or less wedged in there. It is a poor design in that regard. I had to figure out a good way to put it in. Beyond that it is a great performer.

The PKZ extra 300 is my fav plane and you cannot go wrong with it.
PBGOLFRC is offline Find More Posts by PBGOLFRC
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
246 Posts
Hi folks

I have two extra 300 from pz and i got the redbullbedge too. The edge is a great plane, pain is the lipo placement and the landing gear is way too week. I have changed the lg for cf from hk and it just looks & works great. The plane is very acrobatic as u would expect from a edge plane, but not like on the sim
The paint job looks fab in the air but is very fragile. The assemble is bit of a pain since i have to take it apart every time i take it to the field( no car in london)

I have two extra300 with more that 1000 flight on it! Luv it, the quality is day & night to koyosho. Look at my paint job on my second extra
carlostomasso is offline Find More Posts by carlostomasso
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Feb 2010
246 Posts
Esc problem -no

No problems with my servos esc or motor so far on the edge.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Feb 2010
246 Posts
Keep in mind that u can not get spare parts for this gem. The bare fuse would cost about 100 so this is why i am scared to fly/ dent it
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Feb 2010
246 Posts
Here we have mine

Rrrrred bulllll
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:36 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
does anyone know about this plane? is it a good company and is it worth consideration? 1200 kv bl, 30 esc, 11.1 batts, 48 inch wingspan, 12x6 prop. just some specs. saw it and thought i would ask those in the know if this plane would be worth getting? thanks, walt.
I have had this plane for awhile now. No issues with my servos or ESC,, landing gear did break loose pretty easily , but then I strengthened the mount with some epoxy (easy ) and as others here have said the battery compartment is a bit weird and requires me to use a custom cut piece of foam to wedge it in there,, and that side door does require some fiddling ,,,, but,,,, it does fly AWSOME . I personally think it'd do much better on 4S,, I'd like to see Tad more vertical punch. So I'm thinkin of rehabbing it with a lightweight 4S and a higher amp ESC ,,, then it would be a GREAT plane!!! It's amazingly fast on 3S,, I radared it at 67 mph and yet its pretty floaty too,, a FAR better flyer than the PZ extra 300 IMHO,,, the PZ extra is not anywhere near as floaty , and just doesn't handle as well ( I've flown both ) . So that's my 2cents. :-)
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
63 Posts
Thought you might like this Red Bull Edge 540.

http://subsonichobby.blogspot.com/20...-rc-plane.html
SubSonichobby is offline Find More Posts by SubSonichobby
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:40 AM
Joined Feb 2010
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSonichobby View Post
Thought you might like this Red Bull Edge 540.

http://subsonichobby.blogspot.com/20...-rc-plane.html
U are Right,
I like it alot! thanks

But unfortunately the edge epp is crap.
My esc failed and I have nosed in the lovely plane, now looks like a mess and I will not fly it again till i have upgraded the electrics and the new paint job

was saving this plane for a year and after 3 flights the esc failed

not happy