HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Jul 2007
10 Posts
Discussion
Looking for high wing tail dragger aerobatic plane

Hi guys. I'm an intermediate elec pilot and looking for a tail dragger to fly at our local sports field (lots of room). I'm wanting something compatible with the 2200 mah size batteries that I have and should be aerobatic. I would also prefer PNP or at least ARF. I've flown the PZ T28, PZ mustang and others and like them but I would like something that I can land on the grass with. I can't seem to find a good sized Citabria or Decathlon out there. Any suggestions? Thanks!
clive_m is offline Find More Posts by clive_m
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:00 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,169 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUTN8&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBGZS&P=ML

You may need to go to Hobbypartz and get some different batteries.

Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:19 PM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
345 Posts
Excellent choice !!!
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:04 PM
Columbia,PA
Joined Feb 2002
217 Posts
Fun Cub
cpc625 is offline Find More Posts by cpc625
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:47 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,258 Posts
If you feel like building, the Ron Daniels plans built Stubby. Based on a Sig Seniorita, very aerobatic.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Jul 2007
10 Posts
Thanks for the replies folks. Although that Decathlon is right style, I recall having the gas version of that one several years ago.....bad karma........maiden flight it tourqued hard right and nosed down into a cow dung pit. And I had put the controls in the hands of a more experience pilot who, after doing a thorough pre-flight, had no idea why it did that! It went up for sale right away and I did the switch over to e-flight after that. The ugly stick is, well, ugly. Enough said about that I guess and, as much as I used to enjoy building, I just don't have the time anymore. Keep the suggestions going though if you have any others. And again, thanks.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
935 Posts
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Last edited by Logan4169; Mar 07, 2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:22 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,361 Posts
I'm not a foamie fan but have enjoyed the PZ Stinson Reliant for well over a year with hundreds of flights using stock motor and 2200 3S lipos. Optional flaps add fun and interest. Model will loop, roll, fly inverted, and do great touch and goes and slooooww fly byes with flaps. Some caveats though: 1)Not great flying off of grass unless cut short and smooth, wheel pants don't do well in grass, best on paved or smooth dirt surfaces. 2) E-Flite 30 amp speed control has wimpy 700ma switch mode BEC, if adding a flap servo there is risk of brownout, I added a Park BEC and have had no brownout crashes since. I added pinned hinges for control surfaces, foam hinges crack with time, wear and tear.

The E-Flite Super Cub 25 is a beautiful ARF model and so is their ARF PT-17 bi-plane. There are long running threads about both of them on the Scale Electric Plane forum. All of these require good set-ups and tail-dragger flying skills to get you through the maiden and trim flights.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Dec 08, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
E-Flite Mini Ultra Stick would fit the bill also. I'd suggest the Mini Pulse XT as well but it's mid-wing.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:14 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,925 Posts
^^ What rafe said. I've had a MUS in the hangar for years. They always get replaced. Too much fun to be without one.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:33 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
^^ What Mark Wood said
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini update on Kennedy Longhorn
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:41 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive_m View Post
Hi guys. I'm an intermediate elec pilot and looking for a tail dragger to fly at our local sports field (lots of room). I'm wanting something compatible with the 2200 mah size batteries that I have and should be aerobatic. I would also prefer PNP or at least ARF. I've flown the PZ T28, PZ mustang and others and like them but I would like something that I can land on the grass with. I can't seem to find a good sized Citabria or Decathlon out there. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I have built this in all 3 sizes.The 25 size is great for 2200 batteries.

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...ik-series.html
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:01 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,348 Posts
If you were in UK ... then the only answer would be WOT 4E .......

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Jul 2007
10 Posts
Thanks for the posts guys. Sounds like the Reliant Stinson might be closest to what I'm looking for. I am pretty new to buying online so perhaps you could flip a few of the more common online sites to view to see what else is out there. A STOL would be good. I see HK has a little Euro one (can't recall name) but apparently she's a little weak in wind and we get a lot of it up here in the Pacific N/W. Can't remember the name of that Swedish STOL with the oversized rudder, but that sort of design would work well at the sports field where I fly.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive_m View Post
Thanks for the posts guys. Sounds like the Reliant Stinson might be closest to what I'm looking for. I am pretty new to buying online so perhaps you could flip a few of the more common online sites to view to see what else is out there. A STOL would be good. I see HK has a little Euro one (can't recall name) but apparently she's a little weak in wind and we get a lot of it up here in the Pacific N/W. Can't remember the name of that Swedish STOL with the oversized rudder, but that sort of design would work well at the sports field where I fly.
Park Zone foamy scale models and replacement parts are usually sold at larger local hobby shops. If not, order from Horizon Hobby by phone or online shopping cart. Horizon website says that the Reliant PNP ( no receiver) version is discontinued, the BNF version (with Spektrum receiver) is still for sale. You may be able to find PNP version at hobby shops or other online suppliers.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...10-bnf-PKZ5280
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged