HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:20 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,935 Posts
Discussion
110 or a 160 motor ??

Since starting in eletric I feel like I have over powered everything underestimating the power of eletric !!!
So now as I have to get more motors for my next set of planes that I want to convert I need some advice .
Three planes 71" CMP P40 , 70" CMP Spitfire and 70 CMP BF109 ,
these planes are not maxing over 14lbs when built with fuel , so I wanted to know if the 110 are adequate?
There glow suggestions were 180 4 strokes that is why I was thinking i need a 160 in epower but again the finished weight is not the high
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:00 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,777 Posts
Since starting into electric RC, the first thing I realized was I had to totally ignore the original IC power requirements.
I pick a prop size FIRST, that includes diameter and pitch size. that will depend on plane type, but I generally the higher pitches, like 15/10 etc.
Now determine the power required going IN to the motor. On warbirds, I use 125-150 watts/lb. I haven't had one that didn't fly very well on 125w/lb.
Now, I decide on the battery cell count.
Then I look for a motor, using the cell count selected, turning the chosen prop, that give me the power level and airspeed I want. The cell count and mah determine flight times at power levels chosen.
So, a 14lb warbird, would require 125 x 14 = 1750watts In. Bragging rights is the only reason others would power over this level, its not a JET and shouldn't fly like one -hehe. These plane would fly easily on 6s if wished, but not with the 110, kv too low, but 8s should provide a scale sized prop, and more than enough power. jmho fwiw Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:15 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
LDM.....

You know I have the CMP ME-109. BTW..its 73" not 70 For this plane in particular...you'll want the 160. As an E conversion, this plane usually comes out at 16 pounds or higher. Ive built 3 of them and all of them came out over 16 pounds with the first one being the heaviest cuz I put in a scale full figure pilot.

Motor 160. Battery 10s 5000-6000. Ive done all 3 10s 5000, but would love a bit more reserve.
Prop 18x12(do not use an APC as they suck). You'll definitely want the 160 if you want to run a 3 blade prop. Zoar may have an 18x12, but I know Beila makes one. I run a 2 blade 18x12 turnigy type E cherry wood prop.

For the P-40, a 110 might be OK. it doesnt have flaps(that I recall) and isnt quite as heavy as the ME-109. For a 110, you'd run 8s with an 18x12 or 20x10. If you try to go 9s, then maybe a 16x10.

The Spitfire...Im not sure about. I havent visit the CMp Spit thread in quite some time.

I have several ESM or other 70-73" size planes using the 110 on 8s 5000 with 20x10(or 18x12).
ME-109E power 110 8s 18x12
P-51B power 110 8s 20x10
Graupner Fw-190 D9 power 110 8s 18x12
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:35 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,935 Posts
Thanks Doug great explanation and I have quite a few 5000 4, that would make good 8s when combined
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:41 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,935 Posts
Thanks Ka , I know the BF109 was one of your favorites !!
I do have one 160 turnegy left , was saving it for a fat nose P47, am I going to take your advice and use it in the BF109 .
As you stated the P40 is very light but ... I will add flaps and tons of detail so I may be pushing it .
The spit was one of the original CMPS , the flaps are included but not scale so that is a mod i have to make , also have sierra gear for that plane and a small interior kit .
I think the 110 would be ok for that one
Thanks for the advice
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:13 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,065 Posts
I'll second Doug's advice, particularly on the overall approach. I don't have anything glow or gas, so i always work from the airframe and prop back, and as my models get bigger (.60 size), I find the rules of thumb less useful

For example, bigger props are significantly more efficient so assuming comparable motor efficiency 100W/lb into an 18" prop is more like 125W/lb into a 14" prop. And bigger motors with thick wire and less internal resistance tend to be a bit more efficient, so 100W/lb in to a 110 sized electric is more like 110-115W/lb into a 32-40 sized motor. What I'm getting at is the rules of thumb were developed when motors were less efficient, and noone conceived the possibility of flying a 14lb warbird on 18-20" props with brushless motors weighing several pounds. That's probably why you feel you've overpowered everything

A specific example: 600W in / 540W out turning a 16x10 prop develops more thrust than 800W in/ 720W out turning a 12x6. Both have comparable pitch speed.

Sorry if this is suck eggs stuff, but one reason to overpower a bit (or a lot) may be just to get the weight where you need it, and you might as well use a bigger motor than lead.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:54 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,935 Posts
Sci , I have never been one to add weight with years on the glow side .
I would do everything possible to add functional weight ie move the servos , everything possible forward ect .
Your point and the rest along with Doug , Kahlog ect all make sence .
My challenge with some of the CMP planes is that the fiberglass is not really great so I need to also consider the worthness of the airframe . As Kahlogs knows the CMP BF109 was one of the last CMP planes released and the quality was much better over the original CMP planes .
As an example I am working on a willshobby seafury , same fiberglass as the CMPS and the fuse will tin can ect . I have a 160 in this plane because with a 4 stroke it needed a ton of nose weight . Partially because of poor design with the wing servos behind the CG !!!
Anyway back on subject, So if I am reading you guys correctly it would seem that 110 would be efficient but 160 would be more efficent use of functional weight if needed .
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:09 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,224 Posts
I built an old Midwest T-6 that weighed 14lbs, with a 160 on 6s. I used a 20x15 prop and only turned it about 4500 rpm. It actually only consumed about 800 watts but flew great, with lots of authority.
tlh101 is offline Find More Posts by tlh101
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:07 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,045 Posts
Can I just mention the other side of electric power for those that enjoy building, .... building a model specifically for electric power, not converting models designed for IC power.

The reason is I have a model in the above range, a 72" span Spitfire.

The model is based on a plan that was originally for a balsa build and a 1.20 four stroke. But, I built it using Depron foam, ( shock, horror, 'that foam stuff....', I hear from the, balsa or death modelers, '.....that's for toys'.).

Well this is one toy that flies great on less than 700watts,.....mainly because it weighs 7lbs - 2oz flying, less than half the weight of the balsa IC version, (15lbs).

Just a thought....

Spitfire 5 (5 min 11 sec)
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:04 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,935 Posts
lol,
I have no issues with foam , check my blog out I have the 79" P40 , its a dream on a E flight 110 . To be honest epo in my humble opinion is better then the cheap low end side of fiberglass . ESM planes are the good examples of the upper end of glass , I have wills-hobby Seafury that I am converting to epower now .The reason why it will come in heavy is that the glass is so cheap that you cant grasp the fuse without it compressing in-between the formers and making creaking sounds .
I am adding light ply to the inside to make it up to par with standards .
The 79" epo P40 I have is solid , I did add carbon fiber rods for my own taste but its rock solid .
I have a red box P40 wood kit that was designed for a 60 size two stroke but I will be making it from the ground up eletric so it will be lighter then its fuel brother and I am sure it will perform better .
WHat your referring to in epo is one of the main reasons why I am drawn to epo --light wing loading .Its makes these planes a joy to fly !!!
I have a 66" Corsair coming to me from FMS , should be a cream puff to fly .
Lastly checkout the 1/5 scale P40 build from foam in the scratch building section , its a beauty and flys like a trainer !!
My conversion projects are in reality a result of me acquiring CMP kits at a good price otherwise I have moved much of my time to EPO
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:06 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,935 Posts
I am at the airport on wifi , but could not get your video to play , perhaps its my connection .
WOuld love see the build !!!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Hey LDM... I've been mulling over getting another H9 spitfire and running a g60 Turnigy as I have one on hand. The only spitfire I have that's not a parkflier is the 90 size kyosho which is painted in captured German colors.
I'd love the ESM but doubt it would fly on a power 60 class motor.

However, I do have a monster 110 in a H9 fokker dvii that's only running
on 6s I could swap out. The problem with the monster 110 is the prop shaft is 10mm and no one makes a spinner adapter that would screw down on 10mm threads that I know of.

Would probably be just better to get another H9 and paint it like the ESM. Making a hatch on the H9 would be ten times easier also.

I'm also really eyeing a gee bee r3. Love the lines of the R3 and no one has one at my field.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:56 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,935 Posts
Kah , on my Dora I am useing the Monster 110 and have a prop adabter from True Turn .
I think its listed in my thread on the bash , if you cant find it let me know .
I just sold my Hanger 9 corsair with an OS 91 4 stroke but know that size and weight (like the spit ) has been flown very well on the 60 epower !!.
On another note I emailed Jose from flite -skin as the thin sheeting he sells is great for internal extreme strength with very little weight gain , but he I think he is out of that business
because I dont see the ads the way I use to.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:40 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
I am at the airport on wifi , but could not get your video to play , perhaps its my connection .
WOuld love see the build !!!
Your welcome -

Spitfire 72" Depron foam, she's flown, plus a video.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Kah , on my Dora I am useing the Monster 110 and have a prop adabter from True Turn .
I think its listed in my thread on the bash , if you cant find it let me know .
I just sold my Hanger 9 corsair with an OS 91 4 stroke but know that size and weight (like the spit ) has been flown very well on the 60 epower !!.
On another note I emailed Jose from flite -skin as the thin sheeting he sells is great for internal extreme strength with very little weight gain , but he I think he is out of that business
because I dont see the ads the way I use to.
Is it this?
http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store...exact_match=on

for flitskin...website still up and some sizes are still available:
http://fliteskin.com/Sheeting.htm