HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What is your interest in ALES XC competition
What a ridiculous idea! Are you kidding? 1 1.64%
OK for some, but not me. 2 3.28%
Iím interested, but only if Iím not penalized for using my motor for a safe off-field landing. 13 21.31%
Iím interested and prepared to take a zero flight if I power up anywhere on the course. 40 65.57%
Great idea, Iíll help put rules together and run a contest. 11 18.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:23 AM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeach View Post
For 2013 (at least) the competition will be separate classes. But plenty of folks, myself included, will be interested in side by side comparisons. Cross country soaring is all about the flying. Any launch that is good enough to find a thermal is 'good enough' to get you started. The points come from flying, not launching or landing.

This is going to be fun.

David
But getting on the course early is quite an advantage. If you can put in 20 miles before the next guy gets on the course, then a plane that can fly around and find a thermal before going up to "launch" height, has a huge advantage over a fixed winch launching several times into sink. That's what the 30 seconds is for.

As long as you keep them separate, like you are, and make the rules equal for all, then all is fair.

Is a good motor and batteries really cheaper than a winch? Less hassle maybe.

Most people share winches, so make sure those that want to participate know they don't need to own a winch or have a motor to fly at the Nats.
tbroeski is offline Find More Posts by tbroeski
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:25 AM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordysoar View Post
I've got a big ole XC ship that bumps close to the "normal" 11lb limit...it doesn't need any lead in its nose so putting power package in it likely will put it over a bit.

Does anyone care? Its not stressing a winch or line and its not likely going to give it any speed advantage.

So?
Gordy
Forget the motor and just share our winch.
Chuck and Wally's team (previously Son's of Beach now the Beach boys)
Last edited by tbroeski; Jan 23, 2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:47 AM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
469 Posts
[QUOTE=dbeach;23472990]Hi. My name is David Beach and I'll be the CD for the NATS XC event in 2013. We have a practice day on Friday, June 28th, 2013. The competition is Saturday and Sunday.

Dave,
So there's no reason you can't fly on Friday. We can wear the shirts then.
Last edited by tbroeski; Jan 22, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:03 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbroeski View Post

Is a good motor and batteries really cheaper than a winch? Less hassle maybe.

Most people share winches, so make sure those that want to participate know they don't need to own a winch or have a motor to fly at the Nats.
My ESL equivalent winch cost me 700 complete with battery.
My ALES setup is over 775 dollars. The motor is almost 400...the esc another 200...prop and spinner 100, and a 75 dollar battery.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
Tom, Nats wide, CD's cannot fly the event they CD.

Also, last year, outside of lunch Saturday and helping Ryan Sunday, was the only two times I left the XC site. If for no other reason than all the stuff needed security for the entries.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:57 PM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Tom, Nats wide, CD's cannot fly the event they CD.

Also, last year, outside of lunch Saturday and helping Ryan Sunday, was the only two times I left the XC site. If for no other reason than all the stuff needed security for the entries.

Marc
It seemed a waste that you couldn't fly last year. I found the actual rule.

11. Competition of Directors: The director of a contest may compete in all classes of contests or record trials, except AAA or AAAA, AMA-sponsored national or international contests, provided that there is another Contest Director available and in charge while the primary CD is competing and also responsible for any decisions regarding or related to such competition during or after such competition. In all cases, the primary duty of the CD and all the contest officials is the proper execution of the contest, and no activity shall be permitted to interfere with that duty.
Last edited by tbroeski; Jan 22, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:20 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
This decision has been in place for as long as the Nats has been in Muncie as far as I know. Steve Kaluf made it and all Nats management has stood by it.

Marc
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:10 AM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
469 Posts
Quote:
This decision has been in place for as long as the Nats has been in Muncie as far as I know. Steve Kaluf made it and all Nats management has stood by it.

Marc
Rules be rules. It's near impossible to change them once they're in. My request for NOS rules change got ditched by "the committee" before even presenting it to the membership. It basically allowed for limited production and home built planes (which is the way a lot of the old timers were) as long as they could show reasonable proof to the CD it was pre-80. I did everything according to the book and was never even informed of what happened.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:36 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
Actually Tom, am on the soaring board, no vote goes to the "membership", just SB. I actually agree with the CD issue, keeps any conflict of interests from coming about.

Marc
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:32 AM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
469 Posts
Quote:
Actually Tom, am on the soaring board, no vote goes to the "membership", just SB. I actually agree with the CD issue, keeps any conflict of interests from coming about.

Marc
I was told it would be opened to the membership for comments, recommended changes and additions, support, opinions, etc. No one even knew that a proposal had been submitted.

We don't have any problem at ESL contests. Always have co CD's though.
Not sure what is done at OVSS contests.
What is done at Visalia?
I guess Nats is a whole other thing. Just seemed to penalize some good pilots for stepping up.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:36 AM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
469 Posts
Quote:

Marc
You going to make the combined ESL OVSS contest in April? Should be a good one.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
I do not know, but use to, AMA ran the rule changes in the magazine but considering that they have tried to minimize about anything other than "fun stuff", who knows. That was my only thought as to any sort of "public exposure" of any changes to the rules, but I cannot even remember when I saw any changes last for anyone. I know that the only vote I have voted on was about the multi-airframe use and that was a while ago. If you have question on that I would ask Greg Hahn.

As far as CD'ing the normal event, I have never seen an issue. But at the Nats you are living with the worse case senario from any of how many disciplines that are involved, and somehow my mind thought of pattern for some reason. Also, XC is a bit of a different situation since once you have the morning brief, basically the CD really has nothing happening other than to keep an eye on things. Additional though, at the school, someone needs to keep an eye on stuff and that is why even when I went with Ryan on Sunday, I had someone stay put to keep and eye on things. Flying from such a public venue versus the IAC, means you have to keep security in your mind. Also, with XC in mind, if there is an emergency, the CD does need to be available at potentially a moments notice and anywhere on the course.

The OVSS/ESL contest. Well, I did not even know about it until I talked to Josh a while back. I have heard a couple guys talk about it from Dayton, but for us that is an early date, OVSS has not even woke up till May usually. Also, and this is a personal thing here, it would have been really nice if whoever this is putting this event on, if he had contacted one of us involved to see if he could use the name and were we interested. I would not even think of slapping the ESL banner on a contest and not have previously talked to Josh, Ed, you, somebody. I hear he is a young guy, and may just not have even considered that some ettiquet would have been appropriate in this situation.

Marc
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:53 PM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
469 Posts
I don't know much about the contest, how it got started, etc. BRASS -- much further south, usually does the season opener. They asked that we switch, which gives us end of July. That was fine with us. Maybe it won't rain like it usually does. What's the weather like up there in April?

If this catches on, it would be nice to have a joint OVSS and ESL contest each year.
That way Daryl P. will have more people to beat.

T
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
Weather could be crappy Tom, I would give it less than 40% chance for a decent weekend.

Marc
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:45 PM
Play loud, Fly high
Vincennes,IN USA
Joined Apr 2007
650 Posts
CD No Fly

The CD no fly rule has been around since before I started RC. Like the rule book states, that applies at the NATS with no exceptions. That is why I CD'd ( but couldn't fly) 3 NATS 15 miles from my home before the move to Muncie, where I finally got to fly in my first.
Gil Gauger is offline Find More Posts by Gil Gauger