Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by andrew_1967, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:14 AM
Joined May 2008
26 Posts
Discussion
RC Flying Christmas Tree!!

I've been flying models since I can remember (About 30 years now), but have always enjoyed flying over building.
The prospect of seeing months (If Not Years?) of hard work, heading for the floor at a rate of knots has never filled me with glee!
Every now and again, I get creative, and with the advent of Foam / Depron, it has become increasingly easier to put something together quickly and easily, and often on a very tight budget?
Having seen various videos of thing a little "Out Of The Ordinary!" Flying lawn mowers / witches on broomsticks / superheroes etc, this is the way I've been leaning.
With the festive season fast approaching, I set to building something I was going to fly once, and then struggle to store till next year!!
A radio controlled flying Christmas tree? That's never been done, right?... wrong!! There are hundreds of them!!
Still undeterred, I decided to carry on regardless (how difficult can it be?), so with seven sheets of 6MM Depron delivered, I drew out the rough shape, and started cutting out! a couple of evenings later, I had a tree shape, and a fair idea of where the motor, control surfaces and servos were going to go! Two more evenings work, and I had assembled the basic airframe, and had a test firing of the power system (A 750KV Outrunner removed from an ill fated B-17, and a new 20 amp ESC, a couple of Tower Pro micro servos (no expense spared here!!) and an 850 mAh 3 Cell Li-Po salvaged from a 55MM EDF F-16 I killed a year ago!)
Right, were is the C of G?........... Oh Crap!!!...... Not a clue??
On to the forums of RC Groups, to find the answer?...... There are some very helpful people out there! Within a minute or two, someone had furnished me with a C of G calculator, but then my Dumb Brain decided to spoil the evening, by refusing to work, and have even the faintest clue as to where and how to get most of the measurements and calculations from (It's a triangle for crying out loud!! How difficult can it be?)
So, here I sit, typing away at "A Blog" (I've never done a blog before!!), wondering if the bolt of light will hit me, and I can figure out where and how to find an easy way of finding out the C of G, without making myself look more stupid than I am already painfully aware that I actually am!

Watch this space!!
andrew_1967 is offline Find More Posts by andrew_1967
to remove ads between posts