SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:40 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
851 Posts
Help!
HK YEP esc help

I ordered one of these 80 amp speed controllers. I have never used the Governor feature before and want to try this using this feature. I'm testing this on my 450 Pro.

I'm using a DX8 which has Normal and Stunt-1 & -2 (3 flight modes if you will). Plus HOLD of course.

In reading the info it seems like after I program the ESC with throttle low and high ranges, then the Gov.store setting is all there is to this.

I setup the TX with Stunt-1 using a flat TC of 75%. Stunt-2 is at 85%. The motor and pinion provide about 3000 hs at 85%. I have my Normal curve at 0, 50, 62, 74, 87. I'm used to have a TC that starts at 0 for Normal. I could make this a flat curve also if needed, but would prefer not to.

In operation, I'm thinking I turn on the TX, enter HOLD, then plug in Lipo. Then if I can fly Normal mode leave that as an option.

Flipping to Stunt-1, turn off HOLD. The slow spool-up takes place, power is reached and the Gov feature engages (I hope). I then fly.

During my flight, can I flip to Stunt-2 (85% power) and have the ESC increase the HS during the flight? Can I go back to Stunt-1 and have the power drop again?

If I can fly a non-flat Normal curve, what happens if I flip to Normal after being in the Gov controlled Stunt modes?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:04 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,841 Posts
Governor mode

First of all, I have to say that I'm a big fan of governor mode, probably because I started out with nitro helis. I like the heli to feel the same at the end of a battery pack as it does at the start. You have to fly with a timer, or have an ESC with a good low voltage cutout threshold. Most of my ESC's will drain the pack too far before reducing power - my favourite was an ACE ESC that would pulse the power, which really got my attention yet still gave me time to land. So just use the TX timer!

I've not tried the YEP yet, and the instructions are in Chinglish, which doesn't help, but I've run governor mode on a few ESC's.

Normally, you use a flat line throttle curve - eg 75-75-75-75-75, and the HS will depend on the throttle percentage. So in stunt 2, you might use 80-80-80-80-80, which would give you a higher HS.

You can flip from stunt 1 to stunt 2, and the HS will increase - and back to stunt 1, when the HS will reduce again. On the YEP, I believe you can adjust the gain to make that transition smoother.

On my Superbrain ESC's, which keep a really tight hold on the HS, according to their data logs, there's a really abrupt change in HS when you change flight modes, and I can see large current spikes in the data logs at that point. It's so severe that if there's a large difference in throttle percentage, and therefore in target HS between flight modes, it can wear out the one way bearing sleeve really quickly.

Most governor modes are only enabled above a certain throttle percentage. For the Superbrain, it's 60% throttle. I don't think it would be a good idea to use a "normal" normal throttle curve such as you describe - it would only make the ESC try to keep increasing the HS for all the points above 60% (or whatever threshold the YEP has)

Instead, treat the normal flight mode as just another flight mode, and use a flat throttle curve, say 70-70-70-70-70 to go with the values given above for stunt 1 and stunt 2. You can even make the normal pitch curve into an aerobatic curve.

Then you ALWAYS power up the heli with the TX in throttle hold - otherwise it will go into program mode. It's a habit you quickly get used to.

Bear in mind that when using governor mode, your max HS will be about 80% of what you can get non-governed - referred to as governor "headroom", so a lot of the time you might gear the heli a bit higher, one tooth more on the pinion on a 450.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:01 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
851 Posts
Thanks for the detailed overview.

I read some more on HF about this clone of the YGE. See:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=444674

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=470538 (see post #11)

There is a basic Gov function and a Gov.store mode. The differences were described on HF copied below:

Gov mode uses voltage to determine HS so every time you land and then start back up your HS is calculated by the current voltage of the packs at start up. It will not give you your target HS the entire flight.

Gov store mode uses your target HS regardless of battery voltage(within reason). This is why setting up gov mode initially is important. The ESC learns 100% throttle and then bases throttle % off of that to get your target HS. Your target HS will be the same at a full charge, half charge and almost empty unlike Gov mode.

Does this Gov vs. Gov.store make any sense to you based on your experiences with other governors you have used?

I setup my 450 today using the Gov.store mode, but was so cold outside (37 deg) I didn't fool around with it a lot. Have a tail problem also which made the heli a handful to just hover. More testing needed.

There is a HS calculator that you can plug your settings into that supports the YGE gov and gov.store options also:

http://heli.dacsa.net/calcv3/Default.aspx
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:13 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,841 Posts
The regular Governor mode might be a bit easier on packs than governor store mode.

All of my ESC's in effect only have Governor Store mode, so they will set the same HS for a weak pack as for a stronger pack, for a given flat line throttle curve.

In my data logs, I can see a weaker pack getting up to or approaching 100% throttle more than a stronger pack.

In the past, I've allowed for that by simply reducing my swash pitch mix when flying a weak pack. Now that I've gone FBL, I'd have to reduce the pitch curve in the TX or the collective range in the controller to achieve the same effect.

I tried out the calculator you linked to, and it's pretty good! Quite a few different governors, though none for any of my ESC's that I can compare
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c