HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:49 PM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,759 Posts
Discussion
New Dualsky Hornet 460 Quad!

Hello,
I am posting about our new Dualsky Hornet 460 Quad. This is a great step up form the toys, like Sq1, for some fun LOS flying and entry level FPV. As a RC pilot I am good on planes, but can only hover a heli, and never flown a quad, even the toys. All the videos I took, still waiting to get a pro!

We got these in about 2 weeks ago and I could not wait to built it! The box says 30 minutes guarantee, and I was optimistic! It actually took us about 40 minutes, with some picture taking breaks! The Quad comes with 4 Dualsky 2830 830Kv motors, 4 XC22 LTE ESC's, and red and white LEDS pre-installed. A Flight controller is included as well. We did not have to set any settings on the FC!

I have about 10 flights on this with a Mad Dog 2200 11.1V battery. I am getting 10 minutes if hovering and 8 minute of zooming around the front yard. The current draw at 1/2 throttle (hover throttle) is 16A and full throttle about 25A static. This is with 9x4.7 SF props. The FC has a built in Dual rate, but all you need to fly is a 4 channel transmitter.

I was getting better so I got a go pro and mounted it on it. The quad weighs 2.5 lbs and I till get 7 minute of flight time. I have some videos and included links below. Working on FPV setup for it, and hope to have the required license and equipement in January.

For more information visit, www.2dogrc.com or our YouTube channel.

Mark
2dogrc

This is my first GoPro video
Go Pro Mounted on Dualsky Hornet First Flight! (1 min 17 sec)

This is a flight at Dusk. Listen and you can hear by neighbor asking if that is a UFO!
First Dualsky Hornet Night Flight, 2dogrc (0 min 44 sec)

This is a build video from the Australian Dealer
Dualsky Hornet 460 Quadcopter Assembly Manual (16 min 59 sec)
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,759 Posts
Here is how I mounted my GoPro.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Jan 2006
55 Posts
Hi all, just put mine together and when I plugged the battery in all I am getting is a beeping sound. No lights on the unit and no power to the rx. Anyone got any ideas?
dale69101 is offline Find More Posts by dale69101
Last edited by dale69101; Dec 19, 2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,759 Posts
I would recheck your wire setup. I have emailed Dualsly as we have not run into this yet.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:55 AM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Hornet 460 camera gimbal

I have a new Hornet 460 . I wanted to use a low , landing gear type camera gimbal. With the genuine unit not available I purchased unit from HK. While this is only cheap with some CAD work I made some new mounts. Works quite well . I mount a SONY HD handy cam with no problems.

Also one issue I have is a vibrating noise coming from the arms while flying? While the quad itself doesnt seem to be vibrating the noise is annoying.Does anyone else have these problems?
Stemme100 is offline Find More Posts by Stemme100
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:00 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,759 Posts
Hello,
I would check your screws and make sure everything is tight.
Mark
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:28 PM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
They are all tight. The only problem with this quad is the screws are too tight . Really they need to be allen head screws.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,759 Posts
The screws do go in tight. We found that using a high quality screwdriver made a huge difference in putting this in. I have suggested the allen head screws to Dualsky. Maybe V2 will have those.

Mark
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:06 PM
Watt Amps?
Australia, QLD
Joined Aug 2010
32 Posts
couple questions Hornet 460.....

this is a nice little bird to fly... thanks to all the previous posters and videographers for the valuable setup info.

I've never flown a quad before.... love my fixed wing props. got a couple of micro copters... so really a novice at anything like this. I used some left over green decal stickers from a mpx parkmaster to mark the front legs...

very easy to get hovering and some basic backwards, forwards, side to side and circles... all reasonaqbly slowly at this stage... not brave enough to flip or go to the high rates on the fc430. I've had it out twice in the last couple days. day 1 was 20kmh winds, day 2 was 30kmh winds. I am so impressed with the stability of the gyro. sure, those winds effected it, but it was easily flyable. I didn't even balance the props yet.

my one dissappointment in low rates is the level of yaw/rudder authority.

was wondering if anyone knows how to disable the FC430 rates and expo settings so I can program my tx to start getting some customised controls. I hope this lets me transition to the higher rates... big single step in the default settings. Being an absolute noob with these gyro fc things I fear there is more to it than unplugging the rates cable between the rx and fc430. Or do i set it to high and program my dr/expo over the top? any help appreciated.

second question is - can the stock motors & 22A escs handle the 10" props? can't find test data on the XM2830CA-14 830kv motor.... Dualsky Motor Calc program doesn't have it yet... but other similar motors appear ok - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1078160

thanks in advance for any help.

MunGi
MunGi is offline Find More Posts by MunGi
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:14 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,759 Posts
MunGi,
As far as the rates, I am kinda new to this as well. You can adjust the gain in your transmitter on the Gear travel adjustment page. Default is -100% and max is 100% when you flip the switch. You could disconnect the channel 5 servo lead form the FC430 and set the rates on the FC30 and each channel individually. I would wait until you get some more quad skills so that when you make a change, you will know it was the FC430 and not you or the wind!

I hope that helps. I don't get to fly until Monday!
Mark
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:52 PM
Watt Amps?
Australia, QLD
Joined Aug 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogrc View Post
As far as the rates, I am kinda new to this as well. You can adjust the gain in your transmitter on the Gear travel adjustment page. Default is -100% and max is 100% when you flip the switch. You could disconnect the channel 5 servo lead form the FC430 and set the rates on the FC30 and each channel individually. I would wait until you get some more quad skills so that when you make a change, you will know it was the FC430 and not you or the wind!
Thanks for the advice Mark, that does sound like a more sensible approach given the conditions I've had to date. The few moments of calm have been "hands off" in hover etc... and very smooth by comparison to the general winds where I need to drive it.

anyone tried the stock electronics with gws style 10x4.5 props? - expect more thrust etc... but does it significantly change the handling style or does the fc430 cope with that without changing gains etc? I've got some nice brightly coloured ones that will assist a person like me in daylight flight.
MunGi is offline Find More Posts by MunGi
Last edited by MunGi; Jan 04, 2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: added more....
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
Dualsky 460 question

I'm a beginner with quads. I set mine up according to the you tube video and when I arm the unit it does as described in the manual of running at idle and then I move the stick to keep it unlocked but at that point nothing happens and doesn't seem to recognize the stick movements and goes back into locked state. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm using a dx8.
starn is offline Find More Posts by starn
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:36 AM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
I had the same problem. ( using Futaba). I then went through the instructions and did the calibration (light flashing etc) and it came alive. Give it a try. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
Thanks Mark

Thanks for your help today Mark. Just letting you know I got it up on the first try without any problems and it flew great. Can't wait to get it inside this weekend at the golf dome. Thanks again
Steve
starn is offline Find More Posts by starn
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:06 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,759 Posts
I will be adding a color version of the wire setup page in the manual. That should help as well! Tried my first FPV flight today. Not exciting to watch, but exciting to fly! This quad has really got be energized to fly again! I now have 5 designated hornet packs, and fly at least 2x a day, and once at night.
Site Sponsor