Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:03 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Discussion
Midwest L-19

Guys,
I'm looking for a Midwest L-19 kit. I'd like to do a build thread on this one. I had one back in the late 60's and it's time to do one again. Much like my Falcon 56 build thread. I have plans from the kit and there are some plans from the 1960 Flying Models article that I have too. A kit would make it easier to build one.

Thanks.
Crist Rigotti is online now Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:28 PM
I'm going flying!
Colchester IL
Joined Oct 2009
145 Posts
Crist, Thats a good looking plane. Good luck finding the kit I'll keep my eyes open. Rick
rcflyer-rick is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer-rick
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
WOW! Great looking L-19. Can't wait for the 45 years later version. I hope this newer one last a long time!

Dave
HobbyCNC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyCNC
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:45 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
It should last longer than the few test flights of the 60's version!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
273 Posts
Could you scan those plans in (with a scale if there is none)? I have been wanting a nice size L-19 and the only thing I can find is huge or really small.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:12 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,417 Posts
There was a full size plan for a very nice 48 inch electric Bird Dog in the October issue of the UK magazine RC Model World, you could probably get a back issue from them (www.traplet.com). It would also appear to be much more scale than the Midwest model - no banded on wings and solid cabin - which looks like a semi-scale rendering, nothing wrong with that of course, but I think if you are going to the trouble of building a scale model it is wrth going the extra mile.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:57 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
There was a full size plan for a very nice 48 inch electric Bird Dog in the October issue of the UK magazine RC Model World, you could probably get a back issue from them (www.traplet.com). It would also appear to be much more scale than the Midwest model - no banded on wings and solid cabin - which looks like a semi-scale rendering, nothing wrong with that of course, but I think if you are going to the trouble of building a scale model it is wrth going the extra mile.
Sundancer,
Thanks for the info. I'd like to build the Midwest kit version because that's what I had back in 1969. Sentimental reasons.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:59 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbernecker View Post
Could you scan those plans in (with a scale if there is none)? I have been wanting a nice size L-19 and the only thing I can find is huge or really small.

John
I have the full size Midwest kit plans that I have scanned. I'll import it into m CAD program and come up with a laser cut file like I did with my Falcon 56. If I could get a kit, i would just build that instead saving me a lot of work.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Nov 2009
273 Posts
Guess my question is do you have it to where I could get a copy of those plans? BTW, I have a laser. Hobby laser 40 watt and the cutting area is only 9 by 14.5, but looks like you have built Goldberg kits and they pieced things together as well. Doesn't cut ply very well either except lite ply. Does fine with bass wood. Something about the glues in ply?????

John
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:17 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
Sundancer,
Thanks for the info. I'd like to build the Midwest kit version because that's what I had back in 1969. Sentimental reasons.
Yes, I appreciate that Crist, my post was really aimed at Rubbernecker as he seemed to be looking for a moderate sized L19.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:39 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Yes, I appreciate that Crist, my post was really aimed at Rubbernecker as he seemed to be looking for a moderate sized L19.
OK, I understand.

Maybe you can use "quote" button to avoid any confusion for future posts.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Guess my question is do you have it to where I could get a copy of those plans? BTW, I have a laser. Hobby laser 40 watt and the cutting area is only 9 by 14.5, but looks like you have built Goldberg kits and they pieced things together as well. Doesn't cut ply very well either except lite ply. Does fine with bass wood. Something about the glues in ply?????

John
Outerzone has a copy you can DL they are from FM 1960. Same airplane with very small differences. Just search for L-19.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Nov 2009
273 Posts
Quote:
Outerzone has a copy you can DL they are from FM 1960. Same airplane with very small differences. Just search for L-19.
Yea, I saw that but it's missing the wing ribs.

Thanks,

John
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:47 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Yea, I saw that but it's missing the wing ribs.

Thanks,

John
All the formers and parts are on sheets 2 and 3. Double check again.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:43 AM
Joined Nov 2009
273 Posts
Quote:
All the formers and parts are on sheets 2 and 3. Double check again.
O.K. I have that one but it's for 1/2 A. Was looking for something a little larger.

John