HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:12 PM
pyote,tx
Joined May 2007
226 Posts
ok good ,,that means the email i got yesterday is not totaly correct and i ain't stupid hahah,,ok i will reorder my nanos,,
3ddd is offline Find More Posts by 3ddd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:09 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,241 Posts
Glad you got it sorted Jim. I have PayPal Here as well, it's been a godsend at shows. I'm sure it will get a workout this weekend too.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:47 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,482 Posts
Are the modules changing? I got one for the A9 but it's been a paperweight waiting for Nanos.
RyanNX211 is online now Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:01 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,846 Posts
No, the modules are not changing. If a new module is developed, it will use the new DivBee hardware. However, it is doubtful any manufacturer is going to make a module based radio nowdays.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:15 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
But they still have trainer ports so you can still make PPM conversion devices like the Anylink device.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:28 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
I have been thinking about the Channel Expander. Maybe I have not understood. but if it has 10 channels and you have a reasonably large model you are probably going to use 2 batteries for the servos/receiver, and if using the remote Nano that takes up 3 of the channels leaving only 7 for all the other controls. Doesn't seem enough to me. Using my example I believe that 14 should be the minimum. That would allow for 2 batteries, a remote receiver and a remote ignition cut-off and still have 10 channels available for all the other controls. Perhaps two expanders can be ganged together???
Did I get it all wrong?
AlanDY is offline Find More Posts by AlanDY
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:47 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,846 Posts
The Channel Expanders can have heavy duty power wires for powering them. The RF unit is just that, an RF unit with NO servo output capability. This means that if you use a Nano for this purpose, it is only acting as a RF unit and no longer will drive servos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:06 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanDY View Post
I have been thinking about the Channel Expander. Maybe I have not understood. but if it has 10 channels and you have a reasonably large model you are probably going to use 2 batteries for the servos/receiver, and if using the remote Nano that takes up 3 of the channels leaving only 7 for all the other controls. Doesn't seem enough to me. Using my example I believe that 14 should be the minimum. That would allow for 2 batteries, a remote receiver and a remote ignition cut-off and still have 10 channels available for all the other controls. Perhaps two expanders can be ganged together???
Did I get it all wrong?

Here's the pic of the expander plugged into a DivBee module...

...there's 10 servo output pins in the expander. On the right hand side there are also two tabs to solder the power input, or to power through the servo bus (as I understand it). Only the one lead as seen in the picture is needed between the expander and the radio module. So from this pic as pictured, all that needs to be done is plug in your servos and power to the servo unit (the "expander") and it's ready to do its thing.

a Nano can take the place of the DivBee module in this photo, but there are no servo output pins used up on the expander, you can set it up to use all 10 as needed. Second channel expander (connected via a Y lead to the radio receiver) would only be needed if you needed more than 10 channel outputs...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:02 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
I still don't see how that solves the battery issue. I am using four 6.6 v 2,300 milliamp bateries ganged in pairs so that I can plug in two 6.6 volt 4,600 milliamp power supplies..Two solder tabs are not going to do that .
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:55 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,311 Posts
It's a channel decoder, not a power box.
Use something like this to join the batteries. Connect the +V on the batteries to each of the outer pins, and connect the centre pin to the expander (+V).
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:06 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
If I didn't have to use a remote receiver, I would just plug the batteries and servos into a standard receiver like this (Futaba)
Channel 1 Aileron (Actually Wing Warping)
Channel 2 Left Elevator
Channel 3 Throttle
Channel 4 Rudder
Channel 5 Ignition Cut-off
Channel 6 Battery (2)
Channel 7 Spare
Channel 8 Right Elevator
Battery (1)
I had assumed that the expander would allow me to do the same but also allow to me use the spare channel for the remote Nano Receiver.
What have I not understood?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:07 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
the long story made short is that the solder taps will be able to handle all the power that the servos need. just sort out how you want to power the system so that it ends up with a + and a - wire, and solder those to the taps. So with flarssen's suggestion, make a pack splitter with diodes or whatever, just end up at two wires and solder them in.

...also note that Jim has plans for a larger servo output unit more like other power expanders that will have larger power taps to use beefier wire, auto-matching servos, etc...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:21 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
If I didn't have to use a remote receiver, I would just plug the batteries and servos into a standard receiver like this (Futaba)
Channel 1 Aileron (Actually Wing Warping)
Channel 2 Left Elevator
Channel 3 Throttle
Channel 4 Rudder
Channel 5 Ignition Cut-off
Channel 6 Battery (2)
Channel 7 Spare
Channel 8 Right Elevator
Battery (1)
I had assumed that the expander would allow me to do the same but also allow to me use the spare channel for the remote Nano Receiver.
What have I not understood?

you can plug into the channel expander exactly as you have listed. The connection to the receiver unit (a Nano or the yet-to-be-released DivBee module) isn't part of the 10 servo outputs, as the wire to the receiver unit is separated on the other side of the board... in this pic the Nano takes the place of the thing with the shiny "XPS" on it (a prototype DivBee module)...

...with what is in this photo, you will plug in your stuff exactly as you have listed with the option of freeing up channel 8 by connecting your battery to the two soldering taps instead...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:08 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,846 Posts
Quote:
I still don't see how that solves the battery issue. I am using four 6.6 v 2,300 milliamp bateries ganged in pairs so that I can plug in two 6.6 volt 4,600 milliamp power supplies..Two solder tabs are not going to do that .
The Expander's bus is an upper/lower 2oz copper pour. It will handle over 60A @ 8.4v. If you solder power wires to the Expander instead of using the normal plug-in type of battery connection (which can still be done), then you have a very large current capability with this bus. Considering that servo pins are good for about 5A maximum, if you were to use a normal battery input, you are limiting the entire bus to what that single input can provide.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:25 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,846 Posts
That's actually a real pre-production DivBee module in the picture. The production units I am using for R/C are blue instead of green. Other than that, they are the same.
RCG Plus Member