HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:27 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,836 Posts
Discussion
XPS Announcement

As many of you know, XPS is an Arizona corporation with a partnership for owners. Several months ago I had to finally come to terms that the direction XPS has taken over the last few years is not what I had envisioned. Starting with the exclusive use of Graupner for foreign sales and ending in the lack of product stock, the poor decisions made have been a disaster. Because no agreements between the partners could be reached for production of new products, we have not produced anything (of substantial quantity) in over a year.

This has left our customers with a dwindling (or non-existent) inventory of products that I still feel offers the best technology available today.

I have been trying to actively solve the XPS issue since October, meeting with attorneys and accountants on just about a daily basis. Finally the paperwork has been completed. I am pleased to announce that as of today I have taken over XPS completely. I am now the 100% owner of the corporation, including the RF division and all technology... no more partners.

My vision has been very different from what has transpired. We need new products, and more importantly we need existing good products available ASAP! On Monday, I will be placing large orders for components and materials to build most of our existing products, and start the production of new products.

So, what does that mean for you, the customer? It means that best receiver ever released in R/C, our Nano series will become available again. New products like the Channel Expander will be produced, and finally our 9 and 12 channel receivers will be produced. There will be a handheld device produced that offers numerous applications. Instead of going into details here, I will start individual threads about each of the upcoming products as they enter the production phase.

So, where does that leave the XPS-3216 transmitter? Well, honestly, I didn't want to make a transmitter without having first made all new receivers, with full telemetry support. The turn of events flip-flopped the order of importance, focusing on something that will never sell if you don't have the supporting cast... namely receivers. I have not actively worked on the transmitter since my return from Guam for James Cameron's project in April. My focus has been on other products (that have never been announced and won't be until production is ready). Once the dust settles, I will return full time to finish up the transmitter. I do not know at this point how long this will be. Unfortunately, some things were lost with this transition. I do not have access to the original transmitter request email list. So, I am going to setup an email account that is strictly an in box (with auto-reply) for being added to the list.

I will be going through the existing inventory this weekend and updating the website's online store to reflect items in stock, not in stock, and those that are being discontinued will be removed.

I appreciate your patience with this. It is going to take some work. However, since I alone designed every single XPS brand product that we have ever sold, I am confident that I can continue to develop incredible products for my customers - and have them available.

Thank you for your continued support.

Jim Drew, CEO/Owner - Xtreme Power Systems
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Dec 07, 2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typos! :)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:26 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Well congrats on your new endeavor! I look forward to seeing what things happen in the future.
dennisjm is online now Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:33 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,836 Posts
Thank you. It's not a really a new endeavor, but at least I have complete control of the direction. When I started this company originally, I had no intention of ever making radio products. That was a complete accident, but I chose to go with it because I knew what the technology would bring to R/C. It was a good decision, and I hope all future decisions are as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Jan 2005
50 Posts
I donít pretend to know the complexities of bringing radio system to market, but it seems to me that priorities would be to first support your existing users by getting Nanos available ASP, I think that the new receivers and transmitter really need to be a concurrent release. Is the hardware design for both new RX and TX fixed and only software still in development? How about the possibilities of making the TX available to your current loyal users, in BATA form as a solder less kit for evaluation?
RICHARD3851 is offline Find More Posts by RICHARD3851
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:57 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
I am happy that i stuck it out, you have a great product.
looking forward to the old and new receivers. ( my first priority!)
Best of luck and lets hope some of your wayward customers return to the fold.
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:11 PM
iva
Vancouver Harbour Sp, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
539 Posts
Nanos +1!
iva is offline Find More Posts by iva
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Oct 2007
18 Posts
Hello Jim,
I am glad you got your business straighten out .

Looking forward to see you at Toledo this coming year with your new product's
Your modeling friend for ever.form Mount Clemens ,Michigan
Willie McMath
williemcmath1 is offline Find More Posts by williemcmath1
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:31 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD3851 View Post
I don’t pretend to know the complexities of bringing radio system to market, but it seems to me that priorities would be to first support your existing users by getting Nanos available ASP, I think that the new receivers and transmitter really need to be a concurrent release. Is the hardware design for both new RX and TX fixed and only software still in development? How about the possibilities of making the TX available to your current loyal users, in BATA form as a solder less kit for evaluation?
I agree. We should have never been without Nanos. It was a good decision to get away from using the XBEE modules due to cost, and the DivBee technology I developed is far superior. It was an unfortunate turn of events with the FCC holding up the DivBee module approval.

The transmitter still needs a lot of coding and testing. For example, some of the CCPM mixing is not working correctly yet. The liability issues with beta testing products like this make a beta test program an impossibility. It's simply too risky, and I would rather never release a product than to release one that could potentially kill someone due to some simple oversight. While I realize that not every possible scenario can be tested prior to release, I also realize that rushing something to market is just irresponsible. From a business standpoint, you only get one chance for a first impression and since new people join the hobby every day, I think the only way to lose market share is by releasing something with a lingering bad reputation. I don't want to lose customers because of a radio not be released in a time frame that suits them, especially since nobody was ever suppose to know about it until it was done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:32 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,836 Posts
Willie, I just got the info for the Toledo show, so I am looking into that right now. It will be great to see you, and the rest of the Ohio gang once again.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Dec 07, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:20 PM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,373 Posts
Wow, things must have been really hard for a while there. I appreciate the honesty, please accept my sympathies for what must have been a trying time and look forward to some new products. Now to just solve the freight issue......
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:31 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Dec 2005
189 Posts
Jim, will the new Tx request list be here, or on the XPS website?
j_whitney is online now Find More Posts by j_whitney
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:45 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I agree. We should have never been without Nanos. It was a good decision to get away from using the XBEE modules due to cost, and the DivBee technology I developed is far superior. It was an unfortunate turn of events with the FCC holding up the DivBee module approval.

How will this be better? I currently have a couple upgraded TXs from Radio South and I think Tony used the XBee.
Should I upgrade my A9?

Thanks for the long awaited update.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:07 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twang View Post
Wow, things must have been really hard for a while there. I appreciate the honesty, please accept my sympathies for what must have been a trying time and look forward to some new products. Now to just solve the freight issue......
I am working on that! I have some options that look good.

The reality is that we were flat getting ripped off by a LOT of people claiming to have never received their package... they either request a refund, product re-sent, or they contact their credit card company and get a refund.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:09 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_whitney View Post
Jim, will the new Tx request list be here, or on the XPS website?
I will make a new thread here (with a sticky) with a link to a website page where you enter your data and it emails us a copy to a special email account just for storing the information. That information will also be pushed to our database so anytime a mass mailing goes out (which never occurred before - but will now), everyone gets news.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:29 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
How will this be better? I currently have a couple upgraded TXs from Radio South and I think Tony used the XBee.
Should I upgrade my A9?

Thanks for the long awaited update.
Tony uses our transmitter modules, which use the XBEE. The change to the DivBee module will be better for XPS. There is nothing 'wrong' with the XBEE RF module that we have been using for years, but it is very expensive and represents 5 year old technology. Our DivBee module costs less to build, has dual antenna diversity, higher power output capability, and most importantly far superior sensitivity. The Nano is based around the same type of technology, but without the dual (Tx/Rx) amplifier. The Nano has about 25% better range than our original 8 and 10 channel receivers. The DivBee module has about 3 times the range of the XBEE modules. The DivBee and XBEE modules are RF compatible, so you can use them interchangeably. I will continue to use the XBEE modules for our transmitter modules until the supply of existing transmitter boards has been exhausted.
RCG Plus Member