HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,377 Posts
Julian, I made the wing and stab, thrust line all 0-0-0-. Plus, I reduced the rear of the fuselage for a scale exaust size. I just fudged it. But it was easy as those bulkheads are round. It was hard to align everything on the ducting, Julian. I would tack the bulkheads and re position them constantly. Till they looked right. There is a thread floating around that has a few construction pics from an old cam of mine. Possibly a searck on Berkeley Crusader will bring them up.

Originally it was in Navy grey. That was before LiPos. And the 12-1300CP pack made it VERY nose heavy. So I put it away till LiPos got dependable and refinished it in the fake BA scheme. The ARC 28-48-1 and the PQ 3700 3s balanced it perfectly on the first flight.

I had a long love affair with this kit. It was my first ducted fan in 1964. It flew with a Wen-Mac .049 and a cut down 3 blade Prop. Originally used the stamped impellor disc, for a non-climb flight. The 3 blade Wen-Mac prop made it climb well. And on it's first climbing flight it destroyed itself into a tree. Oh.. and you started it with a lanyard on a grooved ply disc! Those were the day's. Satifaction of flying a jet with no PROP!

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:28 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Oct 2012
44 Posts
Yep I see RC Castle has them available. I tried to order one but Paypal wouldn't take my card. RC Castle must be in Hong Kong with the shipping charges they are quoting. Nice plane though. Mike D.
VFR Rules is offline Find More Posts by VFR Rules
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:01 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,875 Posts
Thnaks for the info Fuzz, I'll look around for the build thread too.

Steve, thanks for the heads up on the variances. I did a quick check too, they are off just a fuzz. The gal that prints out my plans locally can crop each section and then resize them to match.
Checked the fuse sections too. They're pretty close. Will have to pay attention when those are printed out.
But when doing this type of scratch building, an exact set of drawings isn't needed.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:33 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,523 Posts
I think the trick to this one is getting the batteries to fit in place in order to hit the CG. There is a whole lotta airplane in front of the CG. I'll be watching your build thread Boogie. Are you doing a build thread for the Mig-19?
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:18 AM
Yes way!
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Oct 2012
46 Posts
Ive found it extremely difficult to find the CG. Has anyone else had this problem?
whirl10 is offline Find More Posts by whirl10
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirl10 View Post
Ive found it extremely difficult to find the CG. Has anyone else had this problem?
There is a CG marked on the Berkeley drawing (it's sort of hidden, but look right at the engine that is in the fuselage cross section).

Otherwise you can figure it's around 25-30% of the MAC which is very easy to determine with a google search.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:59 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,377 Posts
Here's my original thread. And the CG worked perfectly!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...erkeley+crusad

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:47 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,523 Posts
Handy CG calculator.

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_calc.htm
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:33 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,875 Posts
I've been prepping the foam for the MiG fuse plug this week. When I have enough done to take so pics I'll start a thread in the scratch build section.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
I like Runnnnnning
Joined Aug 2012
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaze17 View Post
How about an A-7?

Hobby Lobby used to sell this one. Not sure if it's available thru them anymore.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=935522
Here you go

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2886
Forrest Gump 23 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest Gump 23
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:22 AM
Yes way!
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Oct 2012
46 Posts
Cg calculator is awesoe. Thanks
whirl10 is offline Find More Posts by whirl10