Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:47 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Build Log
Jet Ranger with a New Set of Shoes

Hi all:

A while ago, I got a Century Jet Range body kit for my second Align 550 kit. I thought I had a build thread but apparently I didn't and any pictures of it I must have tagged on to other threads like that from Sideways. When I first built the Ranger, I did post a build thread on scalerchelis.com and one of the regulars there (he does post here on occasion), JestRR, poked a bit of fun at the landing gear that I had cobbled together from the old 600 3D gear and the existing skids from the kit. Sort of a "nice kid, ugly shoes" poke and that was to prompt me to build a better looking set of skids for such a nice looking heli. He was right. I don't have the shop facility or brazing equipment so I asked about getting a set made. Until just a little while ago, I was not able to get the technology together to make it happen, but a month ago, I was able to do so.

Yesterday, a knock at the door came from the postman and I knew there was only one outstanding item coming my way. Yippee. I opened the box up to find two of the most well put together landing skids I have ever seen. One is the set on the heli now, the other is being saved for a refinish when I can get everything ready (my room purged, to be exact) to convert it to a Canadian Forces CH-136 Kiowa. This will give me one heli from Canada, the US, and France (may change to Denmark at a later date) in my large fleet.

Earlier this summer, I decided to do some auto-rotation practice with of all things, my Ranger. I was 10 seconds from the ground but needed 15 to get the rotor back spinning again and it sumarily dumped itself on some very long grass. Had these steel skids been on it, I am sure that the heli would have bounced rather than the skids collapsing and damage happening to the gelcoat. It was up in the air the next day and even all blades, shafts, and gears were fully intact. I then got in contact with JestRR about seriously getting the gear made, so today, here they are.

Since I didn't get a build thread started here, I will add the pictures I have of it while it was in the process of being finished the first time (this is the second body as the first one was ruined last year in an unfortunate loss of orientation accident) and from the new landing gear install. Thanks and take care.

Don

Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:50 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Yes sir! Now that looks nice!
Theuns
T. van Vuuren is offline Find More Posts by T. van Vuuren
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:55 AM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,770 Posts
The new scale landing gear look great and make a huge difference in the look of the Jet Ranger .
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Last edited by cap231ex; Dec 07, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:10 PM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
wow

its defenitly a game changer ! it looks awesome . thats why i love scale . some of the smallest details make a huge diference . keep it going
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:55 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Thanks guys. It is looking a bit worse for wear these days, as a large chunk of the nose paint was scraped off in an elevator door by someone trying to help "open" the door. There is other paint damage visible when you look for it, but that's the point. You need to look for it to actually see it. I want to remake it as a CH-136 Kiowa in CAF livery. This one is fairly close to me and I hope to one day get some pictures of the bird for detail shots. Take care.

Don

Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:23 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,630 Posts
Hey Keyrigger that new landing gear looks great. Is that a 550 size fuselage? How do I get a set like that for mine?
Greybird is online now Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:37 PM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird View Post
Hey Keyrigger that new landing gear looks great. Is that a 550 size fuselage? How do I get a set like that for mine?
click your heals together while repeating " theres no man like keyrigger theres no man like keyriger " lol just kiding . but those are some nice lg
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:00 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Good to see another JestRR masterpiece
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:55 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Thanks guys. He not only did one set, he did two, a short set like the one on that Kiowa on the post. The easiest way to find JestRR is to visit scalerchelis.com and find him there. He does visit other forums but spends most of his forum time there, ttbomk.Yes that is the 550 size Jet Ranger from Century. The plywood plate is a must if you want the chassis and gear as I have them now. When it was just the stock landing gear, it didn't really matter but this way, the entire bottom is solid as a rock. The brace you see in the fourth picture can now be removed with no effects to the body. I really want to flip the tail rotor to the other side but I am not so sure I want to rebuild the entire tail to do so. It wouldn't get the tail shaft any higher so the long tapered cone of the original Kiowa would not be able to be fixed onto the remainder. This really takes a larger bird to do that type of conversion like the 600 or 700 size. This is just going to be a nice flying heli that has a bit of a different look to it, lol. Take care.

Don
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:07 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,630 Posts
Apparently Jet Rangers also use skids that look like the Trex.
Greybird is online now Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:25 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Yes, they do. The only issue with those is that the Align gear sweeps forward, which the real ones don't. I have a second set of gear that are found on the Kiowa which do not get sunk into the body as a full scale set of high landing gear do and even the standard gear (short) for the Jet Ranger is sunk into the body with the fairings covering the trough that they fit in. The change to the Century body is a bit too much unless you have mechanics that are mounted with about half an inch of clearance to the body so you can install a box to mount a true scale set of gear. Can't have everything, lol. Take care.

Don
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:39 PM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
hey rigger i like the new set you put on . i wouldnt use the other type . go scale or go home lol
Old May 17, 2013, 02:25 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Next weekend, one of the clubs in the Golden Horseshoe is going to have a warm-up Float Fly-in in the St. Catherines area. During the winter, one of our club members had told me he had a set of new floats that came with an old heli and he had no use for them. I thought about using them on New Year's Day but that fell through and it was not until a couple of weeks ago that I got them. They are Heli-Max 30 size floats but all the hardware was gone. I have seen a number of pictures of floats mounted and thought that I would try to get the same setup as used on the full size helicopters.

These are by no means scale but they will do the job. I may leave them on until I get the time and ambition to refinish this helicopter as right now, I don't have it. This is my knockabout heli so the scrapes and dents are not a big concern to me. I have set it up so that the tall landing gear are still mounted and I hope it takes a lot of the bounce out of the landings on the ground. They just clear the ground but any movement on the floats will make them touch down. I am going to give them a try this weekend or maybe even tomorrow. I was surprised at how long it took to work everything out. Our condo is getting new windows installed so that is why the rather odd looking background. Take care.

Don
Old May 17, 2013, 01:12 PM
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2005
373 Posts
Hey Don,

How about these for some scale documentation?

Mike
mligosh is online now Find More Posts by mligosh
Old May 17, 2013, 02:50 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,770 Posts
Pretty cool , a while back I made a set for one of my scale 450 helis out foam and aluminum tubing I didn't really get the shape right on but the work and look kinda cool.
Here are a couple of pics if you're interested , like I said I made them from Dow 2" blue foam sheeting glued a couple pieces of liteply on and mounted the bent tubing with 2 screws per joint and an 1/8" CF rod glued on the bottom.
They were made to screw on in place of the original T-rex 450 landing gear to the frame so there is no mods to the airframe, enjoy.
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex