HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:58 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,888 Posts
While your batteries may be performing to your satisfaction, there is absolutely zero doubt that they would most assuredly be performing better if they were maintained per best practice and stored well below full charge. There are mountains of data that support this.

Like you, there are some who find the accelerated degradation worth the convenience of having charged packs ready to go. For others, the slight inconvenience of charging immediately prior to flying is a small price to pay for the increase in longevity and long term performance.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:08 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
As you say, it's all about choices. It's worth it to me to go out to the field, plug in a batt, and fly. This is the batt i'm using. I figure after 5 yrs. of good use it doesn't owe me anything. Also, I go by leaving 20% left in the batt. after a flight, which it still does. This is the biggest batt. killers in my book..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...poly_Pack.html
Heck, That's the price of a tank of gas in my van.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Dec 08, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:16 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,888 Posts
Agreed. Most if the time I will charge 12-20 packs at home in ~15-20 minutes prior to heading out to the field. I only drag my deep cycles if I am going to be flying all day, which is rare. All packs are discharged within ~4 hours of charging.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:52 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
I'm a retired old phart so I go out to the field 3 or 4 times a week in the summertime and usually fly fron noon till dark. I have a little 1000 watt Champion inverter generator with two 200 watt chargers that are going steady. Probably uses 2 or 3 qts of gas in the day. Usually half a dozen different planes. I like the variety, all different personalitys

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2