HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:08 AM
FT.MYERS FL.
Joined Mar 2009
76 Posts
Discussion
Cox sportavia

What ever happened to the re-release of the cox sportavia?
I was at seff in 07 and the folks from cox was there to maiden
on saturday but they had problems w/ the electric set-up.
They also had on display a miniature electric playboy that
also was going to be released. On sunday the cox people
were gone!
CUMICBOY is offline Find More Posts by CUMICBOY
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:22 AM
Gary L
Dexter, Kansas
Joined Oct 2009
231 Posts
Good question!

Beautiful little plane, I also wish they would re-release with modern e-power. I still have a couple of the originals... one NIB box electric and a glow version that has been converted to electric, which I fly regularly. The active one is getting pretty ragged, after ~450 flights in a less than foam-friendly environment.
AMA69405 is offline Find More Posts by AMA69405
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:00 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,110 Posts
Look at their website ... looks like they are selling three HK toys and not much else. The small glow motors are gone.

It isn't your grandfather's COX company anymore.

A real shame.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,709 Posts
Damn shame, it was the first r/c model I was gifted by my dad in the late seventy's. I had heard the original's were made by Kyosho or something like that. I have a couple plan's for the RF-4 the could be converted to the Sportavia.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:41 AM
FT.MYERS FL.
Joined Mar 2009
76 Posts
Sportavia

If anyone would likr to part with one in descent shape
let me know. Txs jay/cumicboy
CUMICBOY is offline Find More Posts by CUMICBOY
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:26 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
I was really looking forward to the re release as well. This was my first rc plane. Sportavia + student pilot =devcon 5 minute epoxy. (In the equal parts syringe). No telling what cox could sell a brushless version for to people like us that remember how graceful this plane was.
Eagle2pilot is offline Find More Posts by Eagle2pilot
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:03 AM
Gary L
Dexter, Kansas
Joined Oct 2009
231 Posts
Neat picture!

The one that I fly currently has a stock Mabuchi 380 brushed motor, powered with a 3S LiPo and BEC equipped ESC. Given the performance of this setup, I can only imagine the awkwardness of the original electric Sportavia, which carried about of ton of NiCads around with it!

The .049 QRC powered version, which were my first and second RC planes was decently powered as I remember it... probably a close match to the 3S electric setup mentioned above.

The original electric was advertised on the box as 34-36 oz flying weight, while the .049 version was typically flown at just about 20 oz, IIRC.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:28 AM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,629 Posts
Back in '78 or 9 I bought a used one and fixed her up. Beefed up the wings a bit and had a lot of fun.
Ran out of fuel so took her to Round Mountain near Camarillo, removed the prop and sloped her, fun glider.
Lift died and had to land her in the field on the other side of the hiway. As I was walking over to get her some guy stops, picks her up and throws her in his car. I'm running and yelling, he looks right at me, laughs and drives off.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:12 AM
Gary L
Dexter, Kansas
Joined Oct 2009
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayhead View Post
Lift died and had to land her in the field on the other side of the hiway. As I was walking over to get her some guy stops, picks her up and throws her in his car. I'm running and yelling, he looks right at me, laughs and drives off.
Yup... most inexpensive RC plane I ever owned.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:26 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,925 Posts
Here's a Sportavia being flown along with a bunch of its vintage foam contemporaries at SMALL 2012. My friend Thomas B found his on eBay after I had let him fly one that I found a a swap meet. Both of ours have been upgraded to electric.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=201
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Jan 2007
566 Posts
i really miss the old cox company, i had many of their planes that got me started in rc, its a wonder that some china knock off Sportavia has not come down the line yet, seems like the war birds have been the focus of most Co s lately but not much else
larryg is offline Find More Posts by larryg