HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:40 AM
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
micro t - brushless setup!!!!

Hey i burnt out my stock motor and i am thinking about upgrading to a Brushless setup, Now I know there is a good setup out there already from losi, but i have been looking what parts i have around the house to see if i can build a setup of my own and save some cash. I also want to point out that i would like to keep my micro T running on 1s ) , Parts i have 1. turbo ace 14000kv , small digital servo - that will fit ), brushed rx, 1s 300mah 30c lipo battery .

My question is will the turbo ace 14000kv motor work good in the micro T? and will it work with the plastic pinion that is on my stock motor? I donít know the specs of the brushed stock motor but I would guess that the " turbo ace 14000kv " has a much higher kv than stock motor , so if anyone has any advice and would like to add any more info that will help me out I would be very grateful .
darrom is offline Find More Posts by darrom
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:15 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
Before you get too excited, see if you can connect the servo to the steering linkage. The stock output spine is a hexagon, not a usual spline. Some small servos you can just swap the final gear from the stock servo into the new servo and it works, but that's not a guaranteed solution.

14000kv is a lot of RPM on 2s, but on 1s it'll be pretty tame. Should be faster than stock still though. For refrence, the Losi motors for it are ~8000kv and ~10000kv meant for the 4 cell nimh pack or 2s lipo.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Before you get too excited, see if you can connect the servo to the steering linkage. The stock output spine is a hexagon, not a usual spline. Some small servos you can just swap the final gear from the stock servo into the new servo and it works, but that's not a guaranteed solution.

14000kv is a lot of RPM on 2s, but on 1s it'll be pretty tame. Should be faster than stock still though. For refrence, the Losi motors for it are ~8000kv and ~10000kv meant for the 4 cell nimh pack or 2s lipo.
your right i couldnt get the servo steering linkage on to my other servo never even seen the hexagon shape on any servos before and why is there a spring ? Is they another servo i can buy that will fit in and fit this streering link for the brushless upgraged ?
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:48 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
The spring is the servo saver. If you're comfortable with it, try taking both servos apart to see if you can get the final gear from the stock servo into the new servo.

JR does make a servo, and Losi makes a servo saver for it but it's like $30 for the servo and servo saver.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:53 PM
Micro Master ;)
franklin, in
Joined Jan 2008
86 Posts
Www.losimicroinfo.com has a servo compatibility up. Working on the rest of it still.
tyhodge07 is offline Find More Posts by tyhodge07
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
update ! Brushless upgrade . Turbo ace 14000kv , losi brushless receiver , 10A 1-2s xc car esc from hobby king . On testing the car moves forward fine lots of power but brake and reverse is the problem here, when moving forward and then throttle back to brake or reverse it does nothing ! but when I put the throttle trigger back to the middle and then throttle back to reverse again the car will reverse , Although It make take a few try's to get the car to reverse when it does it stays there for as long as I want ? any ideas why this could be happening?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
Micro Master ;)
franklin, in
Joined Jan 2008
86 Posts
It's usually a setting with the esc. When you go from throttle to reverse it acts as a brake.
tyhodge07 is offline Find More Posts by tyhodge07
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:51 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,481 Posts
it is to protect the transmission and drive train if not you would for sure wreck the tranny .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:34 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,079 Posts
I also want to do this with my micro desert truck. I have the ESC from HK and a small Rx. Yes I see the servo is going to be the hard part. I read somewhere that someone used an HXT500, but not sure how. I have this motor....4500kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_4500kv.html

Am planning to use 180mah 2s batts.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:47 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
4500kv is way too low, that'll be slower than stock I bet.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:00 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,079 Posts
Somebody recommended that one. I ordered it from Hobbyking and waited a long time for it. even on 2s it's not right?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:36 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
The two motors Losi sells for it are about 8000kv and 10000kv for 2s usage, you're at just over half the rpm of their slower motor. You'll need a much bigger pinion to get the wheel RPM up to anything close to the same performance as the Losi motors.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:16 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,079 Posts
Ah crap. I ordered the wrong one. I even went back and found the order. Somebody linked that to me here a long time ago and I went with it. I guess I need this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_10300kv.html

Both the motor and screws needed M1.4x3 are out of stock.

I could go ahead and pre-order them but I need to hold off and see what other parts I need. Right now I have the little ESC and small car RX for my flysky Tx. Servo is next on the list. Checking the losi micro info site now.
Last edited by shahram72; Feb 05, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:15 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,079 Posts
OK I solved the steering servo issue. No servo saver with this setup but not sure there is enough force on this little car to break anything and if it does so what, it's a $3 servo. This was quick and it works.

Losi Micro Desert Truck with HXT500 steering servo (0 min 21 sec)

I took the mounting tabs off with the dremel and then used the T servo arm included with the servo and lopped off 3 arms leaving one of the short ones off. Trim it well with a knife. Use one of the mounting screws (included with the servo through the outer arm backwards. The lop the tip off with wire cutters. Now it fits in there snug and perfect and the screw moves the steering linkage perfectly.

Before I place my order for the motor and wait 2 months. What am I going to use for a pinion gear that will work with the stock spur gear? Is it available from hobbyking? I am going to put an order there soon.
Last edited by shahram72; Feb 05, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:09 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,481 Posts
if you order the losi motors the stock pinion will fit . not sure about the hobby king motor though .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak