HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:24 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,770 Posts
I finally flew this thing with the 15" prop on it. SO much better. This now has authority, and much better to fly. I did, unfortunately, forget to put in a foam battery tray, and the battery flopped around in flight, cutting my flying time short. Sure make landing tough! No damage, just frazzled nerves trying to keep up with a moving CG. ------Metalguy
metalguy is online now Find More Posts by metalguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:30 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Maiden flight today and all went smooth as silk! Stock everything except 100mm foam wheels. Zero wind I made a holder for my battery out of rigid foam (Lowes fan fold) and a velcro strap. Works great, no movement. Images soon.
Thank you to everyone who answered all my questions and provided input regarding your plane.
orcas flier is offline Find More Posts by orcas flier
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:32 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
I finally flew this thing with the 15" prop on it. SO much better. This now has authority, and much better to fly. I did, unfortunately, forget to put in a foam battery tray, and the battery flopped around in flight, cutting my flying time short. Sure make landing tough! No damage, just frazzled nerves trying to keep up with a moving CG. ------Metalguy
What's the pitch on that prop?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:39 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
How I keep my battery controlled

These images are taken through the battery compartment opening looking toward the top of the compartment and forward. The plane is upside down. The battery is set onto the plywood tray then slid forward until it's end is locked in place by the fan fold foam bulkhead. Then the Velcro strap is secured around the battery holding it against the bottom side of the shelf. This shelf has a lip on the aft side that further secures the battery from movement. The bulkhead is made from 4 layers of Lowes fan fold foam with the cutout 2 layers deep. Epoxy holds the bulkhead in place.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:30 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,770 Posts
I think it is a 15-7. I can't be sure until I get to my house tomorrow, where the plane is, near the field I fly at. I grabbed a bunch of foam, and will be making my own solution to the cavern of a battery bay. Should be easily done. ---------Metalguy
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:39 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Maiden the repairs

I maiden the Decathlon with the motor mount repair .
Flys great and the new cowl works good. The 15 inch 7pitch 3 blade master screw is the best yet pulling 38 watts. Using the new battery box I am moving a 5000 ma 4 cell wt. 535 grams around for better C/G. With the battery 120 mm forward of the battery back support I am getting the best trimming so far . Can easily fly up side down, flys fast than stock, cruises at 1/2 throttle , just a great scale flying airplane.
I am using 120 mm foam H.K. wheels with Sullivan tail wheel setup to land & take off on fields and grass areas. Using this setup on pavement works but takes longer getting the tail down in cross winds for steering......Tedward
tedward is offline Find More Posts by tedward
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:11 AM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Thanks for the great info guys. I'm looking forward to flying and testing out the prop options I have when I next get the chance.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:27 PM
ED3
100% RC ADDICT
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2007
749 Posts
damn i just bought one , nice looking plane ill post pics and more info as soon as i get it

anxiously waiting
ED3 is offline Find More Posts by ED3
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:07 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
I was so close to buying one but another guitar won the decision.......next month.
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:31 PM
ED3
100% RC ADDICT
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2007
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
I was so close to buying one but another guitar won the decision.......next month.
yeah i was debating for a few days before i pulled the trigger
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:01 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
I bought a seagull AND a taylor. The airplane was much cheaper...........should have went with that LOL!!!!
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:05 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,891 Posts
Is the shipping on these still as outrageous as everyone has said? I have also heard folks say it is pickup only. I think that for 170 shipped (if rumored shipping rates are true) is still a good deal for this huge plane that appears to have great scale lines. I was waiting and waiting for this plane ever since it was on the "skunkworks" videos. Funny that it never hit the site proper. Expensive shipping makes things sound like a rip-off..but an 1800mm PNF Decathlon in honest scale for 170 shipped?? I'm ok with that.
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:10 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,891 Posts
Never mind.. I see the current rate is $112 for shipping..if only someone that lived in WA could pick me up one and ship it to me at a reasonable rate. Ho hum
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:07 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,770 Posts
It is a HUGE box. Its no wonder it costs a fortune to ship. I still need to put a coat of polycrylic on mine.------Metalguy
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:50 AM
ED3
100% RC ADDICT
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2007
749 Posts
i should get mine on monday