HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:08 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Just for kicks, while I wait for my grass field tires to arrive, I hooked up a pair of 3s 2200 batteries today in parallel. Twice the amp hours, same voltage. I was quite surprised by the pull they produced so I have to ask...Are any of you flying on 3s? It sure seems like plenty of power...
orcas flier is offline Find More Posts by orcas flier
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Flying in the fog!

Well guys we flew saturday in the fog. I was very impressed with the 15 inch 7 pitch 3 blade prop.
Today I ran up the 15 in. & 14 in. props with the same 4 cell 40c battery. I used the stock 40 amp esc. setup
results
15 inch master screw 3 blade with 7 pitch
38.5 amps out of the esc. and
575 watts of power given

14 inch master screw 3 blade with 7 pitch
32.5 amps
476 watts power given

So going to use the 15 on the 55 amp fuslage have a separate 5 amp bec.
Cheers tedward
tedward is offline Find More Posts by tedward
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:07 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Thanks for the info tedward!
I've finished the build on my Decathlon, just waiting for the larger tires to arrive before I take her to our bumpy local field. Saturday I flew my 80" Hangar 9 Cub for the first time in perfect sunny weather Slow and easy.

I've tested smaller props with a watt meter and at the same time attached to a scale to measure static thrust so I wanted to warn you about something regarding wattage and actual power to the airframe. The little 2212-6 and Grayson Microjet motors that I use for my foamies have been the power for 6x4 props in all my planes. The APC prop puts out 50g LESS thrust than the similar sized EMP and consumes MORE amps, showing higher wattage on the meter. Strange but true. Prop efficiency is another factor to take into consideration.
The Decathlon motor puts out too much thrust to use a direct reading method for my scale so I'm making a jig to hold the plane and transfer 50% of the thrust to the scale. When that's built I'll share the numbers I have with my props.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:15 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Flimsy Cowling

Today I was going to add fiberglass cloth set in epoxy to the inside of the cowl when I discovered that the white of the cowl comes from paint on the inside!
Plan B. I added multiple layers of 1" strapping tape set in diagonal layers to stiffen the cowl.
Anyone else have a favorite way of strengthening the cowl?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:51 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
I used mylar tape on the inside where mine was cracked, and wicked thin CA from the outside. I had thought of making a mold of the cowl out of plaster of paris, so I could make another if I trashed mine, but I have been slacking off! LOL!------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:14 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcas flier View Post
Today I was going to add fiberglass cloth set in epoxy to the inside of the cowl when I discovered that the white of the cowl comes from paint on the inside!
Plan B. I added multiple layers of 1" strapping tape set in diagonal layers to stiffen the cowl.
I used Clear packing tape on the inside..Tedward
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
A picture of new cowls that my flying buddy made
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eearlyboid View Post
On that note, I give you the current state of my Decathlon. I suggest you hide your radio and stay inside http://youtu.be/LEmgoqbefjM Gonna buy another tomorrow...
I had a soft nose landing in thick long grass area and the battery came forward and damaged the firewall engine mount front cowl . I have built a foam battery box after this mishap.......
Some pic of my repairs. Also some of the damaged parts.
A little plywood and glue with new cowl on and we ready to go.....Tedward
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info tedward!
I've finished the build on my Decathlon, just waiting for the larger tires to arrive before I take her to our bumpy local field. Saturday I flew my 80" Hangar 9 Cub for the first time in perfect sunny weather Slow and easy.

I've tested smaller props with a watt meter and at the same time attached to a scale to measure static thrust so I wanted to warn you about something regarding wattage and actual power to the airframe. The little 2212-6 and Grayson Microjet motors that I use for my foamies have been the power for 6x4 props in all my planes. The APC prop puts out 50g LESS thrust than the similar sized EMP and consumes MORE amps, showing higher wattage on the meter. Strange but true. Prop efficiency is another factor to take into consideration.
The Decathlon motor puts out too much thrust to use a direct reading method for my scale so I'm making a jig to hold the plane and transfer 50% of the thrust to the scale. When that's built I'll share the numbers I have with my props.
Thanks for the info on the APC props . My two blades are APC My 3 blades are Master Screw . Looking forward to your findings......T
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:57 AM
United States, WA, Bothell
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the pics Ted! I think I'll go buy some plywood this weekend
Eearlyboid is online now Find More Posts by Eearlyboid
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:36 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eearlyboid View Post
Wow! Thanks for the pics Ted! I think I'll go buy some plywood this weekend
I have some patterns made up for the firewall plywood mount . They were taken off a undamaged decathlon.....Tedward
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:42 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Yeah, plywood, epoxy, a little time and that bird of yours will be back in the air! If the motor is toast you might want to try a HK Donkey. I have one in my 80" Cub and it's fantastic! Less than $13, runs on 3s and 4s with a 12x8 APC prop. I regularly fly the +6 lb Cub at half throttle!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:34 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedward View Post
A picture of new cowls that my flying buddy made
Nice looking cowls! What are they made of and how did your friend make them???
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:41 AM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
872 Posts
Hi guys,

I don't have this airplane yet. I am considering purchasing one but the shipping to my residence in Massachusetts is a whopping $122.80.

Anyhow, I do not own any 4S battery packs. Everything I fly is 6S. I am thinking of pulling the power system and installing one of my 6S systems.

My question to you Decathlon owners is this: Would the power system, Motor and ESC be worth $50 shipped (continental US only) to any of you? I have no use for it and it certainly would offset the shipping cost if I could sell it.
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:28 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Nice looking cowls! What are they made of and how did your friend make them???
Guy made it out of two ply fiberglass. Little rough on out side has to be sanded.