HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:21 PM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,724 Posts
Personnaly not owning one but watching this thread closely, I would put it together with dihedral to add stability in flight and remember whislt flying the stress on the struts will desapear with positive wing loading when the G forces are applied i.e. like in a loop or a sharp turn.
I for sure would like to own one but it would means more new Lipo's another charger etc..and just had a new plane from Santa lately just before I saw that one!
Just my 2 cents here, I am sure other will jump in to help you with their build preferences and choice.
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:17 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcas flier View Post
Thanks Metalguy. Have you mounted your wing flat or with a little dihedral? I have zero experience with this size and type of plane and construction so I'm wondering if pre-stressing the wing into dihedral is a bad idea. If I follow the construction images I must force the wings into a dihedral position. If I simply bolt them up without any stress they are flat with a little droop in the tips. I'm inclined to bolt them on without any stress in the wings.
Hi I have two of these aircraft and the wings are installed flat. Wings slide on and bolt up with no tension, very good fit. I cannot look at the wings right now to see how the struts are mounted .
I now have tried a 14 inch 3 blade 7 pitch master screw. It works better than the 13 inch in past posts. I have not ran it on the watt / amp meter yet.
The stock Dec. flys upside down very well , takes off with very short runway .
The stock Dec. still has the original esc and I must change that out.
I made up a battery box out of very flexable foam and it works really well.
5000ma 4 cell is easily getting me 12 min. I hope this helps guys.
tedward is offline Find More Posts by tedward
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:32 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,952 Posts
I m\have my wings installed flat, and I believe that is the way it is supposed to be. It is a gentle flyer like this, and easily flown. No need for dihedral for stability. I swapped out the stock ESC because it has no info on it. I have no idea what it is rated for, or how many cells it can run, and I would like to have a known ESC in there. I also installed a BEC, for safety. I am looking forward to some better weather to get more flight time on this guy. In the meantime, I will install pinned hinges, as I don't like foam hinges.-------Metalguy
metalguy is online now Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:38 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Thanks guys. I think we all live in the same geographical region and are all suffering from the rain/wind of the winter eh? I'll be sure to put hinges on the control surfaces and install the wings flat. Thanks! While we wait for the weather to improve I'll try to get and then share some info regarding the various props I have to add to the knowledge base. Time to start adding rather than just taking!

Ben
orcas flier is offline Find More Posts by orcas flier
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:02 AM
United States, WA, Bothell
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
On that note, I give you the current state of my Decathlon. I suggest you hide your radio and stay inside
BigRed Crash (1 min 28 sec)
Gonna buy another tomorrow...
Eearlyboid is offline Find More Posts by Eearlyboid
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:56 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,952 Posts
Ah, man! Sorry for your loss. That sucks, big time. Where were you flying? -------Metalguy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
60 Acres park in Redmond. This field is known for turbulence, so I should not have made that last turn so low to the ground. :banghead:
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:02 PM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,724 Posts
Eearlyboid what happen aileron got stock --> start to spiral down?
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:01 PM
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
I had throttle too low, and caught a tail wind. Every time a tail wind would hit it, I would instantly loose all lift and stall. I went flying the day before and almost lost it a few times, luckily, I was a few mistakes higher then and kept it alive for another day.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:16 AM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Oh, so sorry. Thanks for sharing that video. I'm going to use this as a reminder to keep the speed up when flying down wind...
Well, at least the planes are relatively inexpensive!
orcas flier is offline Find More Posts by orcas flier
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:19 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,952 Posts
Hoping to get out, and fly this again on Sunday. (No, I don't care about the Super Bowl) I will be trying a 15" prop, and see how it goes with that. -------Metalguy
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:41 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Bad Tail Wind

Wow that just sucks. Sorry for your loss! I had some bad handling with my first couple of flights till I figures out the battery was moving around changing the c of g. I stuffed it with bubble rap as a quick on the field fix. Battery still moved side to side till I built the foam battery box. I really like the 3 blade props compared to the two blades. My flying buddy uses the 14 inch 2 blade 8.5 pitch grey APC and he flys the crap out of it. He uses the stock esc, stock tail wheel and the stock plastic hinges with about 12 flights on it. Just a great flying plane and will glide in for landings with no power . Our landing strip area has mostly cross winds So when its windy we approach at 45 deg. angle and crack it over at the last min. and set er down.
I looked at the wing strut mounts and they are inside the wing attaching supports.
ED
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:43 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
Hoping to get out, and fly this again on Sunday. (No, I don't care about the Super Bowl) I will be trying a 15" prop, and see how it goes with that. -------Metalguy
Let us know how the 15 inch prop goes MetalGuy
If its good weather we will be flying.
ED
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:10 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
They do ship from the WH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrated View Post
To bad HK won't ship the 1800 Decathlon. I was searching around and found a nice 1400 Decathlon at PW-RC. cost more, but looks nice. other than that I don't know anything about it.
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/products_id/2908
check it out.
I made the mistake that the warehouse was Lakewood CO not Lakewood WA. Because of this error I was able to have the plane shipped to me here in Colorado it has not arrived and will take pictures of the plane and what it looks like. And its tune up here,
gregreed26 is offline Find More Posts by gregreed26
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:28 PM
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
Hi guys to all who had input about this plane. I got mine yesterday and I live in Port Charlotte FL. ....shipping was a lot $108.00 so I want to use all of you input on this plane so my 1st flight has a chance..So THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR TIME and info.
rjhobbycraft is offline Find More Posts by rjhobbycraft