HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:43 AM
Langley, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedward View Post
I have made new landiing gear out of 0.128 inch al. 2024 t3 using 4 mm axels and 5 inch H.K. foam wheels. Just enough spring action on the gear. Wheels are working well for bumpy landings .
Hi Ted
I saw the landings and indeed the gear work really well. I am getting the same from Paul. I forgot to ask you, what c rating 4s batteries are you running? I was thinking that a pair of 4s, 3000ma 45c batteries in parallel would be fine. Do you think I need the 45c or would the 30c be ok for this bird?
kingsnake11 is offline Find More Posts by kingsnake11
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:09 AM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,419 Posts
I am using 30c and no problems. 45 c should easily fly her. -----Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:12 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,419 Posts
I made my new gear out of .070" Titanium. I am using 5/32 diameter axles, and 4.5 inch foam wheels. Nice spring, and even less weight, although it isn't a problem with this plane.---Metalguy
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:19 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Hi metal guy we fly out of a lower main land industrial park in B.C.
Four of us have bought the decathlon. As of right now two of us are flying them . The two blade 14 inch 8 pitch is faster than the 3 blade 13 inch prop.
I like the three blade for scale flying. Buddy John likes the 14 inch 2 blade for faster more agressive flying. Going to try the 15inch next time were are out.
The battery area compartment is way too big for my 4000ma 4 cell. Battery moves around in there and I had a power disconect causing a soft nose landing in high wet field grass. Battery came forward and damaged the front fire wall and motor mount. I have to do some plywood repairs and put a new engine cowl on. I am making up a battery box out of flexable foam in order to get in through the battery door. Also putting some foam packing in the front to keep the battery from moving forward . The 5000ma is getting 12 min. flight time now.
tedward is offline Find More Posts by tedward
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnake11 View Post
Hi Ted
I saw the landings and indeed the gear work really well. I am getting the same from Paul. I forgot to ask you, what c rating 4s batteries are you running? I was thinking that a pair of 4s, 3000ma 45c batteries in parallel would be fine. Do you think I need the 45c or would the 30c be ok for this bird?
Hi Vic
I think Metal Guy is right. If you want to use the same batteries for 3d or fan ducts 40-45 C would be more versatile. I have 40c rated 4 cells so they can be used for aggresive flying aircraft too !
tedward is offline Find More Posts by tedward
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:50 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,419 Posts
tedward, that sounds like a good idea, the foam. I have velcro in thee now, and I imagine during more aggressive maneuvers it could come loose. I was thinking a strap may work, but would be hard to affix the battery through the door. (I have big hands) I have a bunch of foam, so maybe I can use your idea, and make a nice home for the battery. -----Metalguy
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:14 AM
Langley, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
tedward, that sounds like a good idea, the foam. I have velcro in thee now, and I imagine during more aggressive maneuvers it could come loose. I was thinking a strap may work, but would be hard to affix the battery through the door. (I have big hands) I have a bunch of foam, so maybe I can use your idea, and make a nice home for the battery. -----Metalguy
Hi Metalguy
thanks for the info re batteries. Ted and I were talking about the foam protection and one of the ideas I had that I am going to try in my Decathlon is to use the high density memory foam. It's relatively like, but will absorb a lot of shock. I haven't seen how Ted has mounted his yet, but I am sure that it will work fine. Maybe he can post a photo.
ks
kingsnake11 is offline Find More Posts by kingsnake11
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:07 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,419 Posts
I am less concerned about protecting the battery, and more concerned about it shifting in flight, and radically changing the CG, as we all know how that ends.... But vibration absorption is a good thing too. I am amazed at how big the caverous battery bay is. I am running a 4000 mAh battery, and its lost in there. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to try different packs, props and such, as it has been pretty nasty weather here. I go around the house making airplane noises, its pretty pitiful.------Metalguy
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:15 PM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
subscribed.
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:17 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
170 Posts
Picking mine up tomorrow!
orcas flier is offline Find More Posts by orcas flier
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:49 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
170 Posts
Took delivery yesterday and started the assembly this afternoon. Luckily, zero damage to the plane!
I do have questions for you guys who have assembled and flown the bird. First, did you mount the wing struts inboard or outboard of the wing attachment tabs? Mounting the struts inboard gives the wing dihedral and takes some pressure to line up the holes. Mounting them outboard is an easy/no pressure needed assembly and results in a flat wing but the wing tips droop a bit.
The videos I've seen of this plane flying show a flat wing with maybe a bit of droop at the tips, definitely no dihedral. Have you tried it both ways? If you are flying with dihedral how are the inverted flight characteristics ?

Thank you,
Ben
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:33 AM
United States, WA, Bothell
Joined Sep 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcas flier View Post
Took delivery yesterday and started the assembly this afternoon. Luckily, zero damage to the plane!
I do have questions for you guys who have assembled and flown the bird. First, did you mount the wing struts inboard or outboard of the wing attachment tabs? Mounting the struts inboard gives the wing dihedral and takes some pressure to line up the holes. Mounting them outboard is an easy/no pressure needed assembly and results in a flat wing but the wing tips droop a bit.
The videos I've seen of this plane flying show a flat wing with maybe a bit of droop at the tips, definitely no dihedral. Have you tried it both ways? If you are flying with dihedral how are the inverted flight characteristics ?

Thank you,
Ben
I got mine about two weeks ago. I assembled it with the struts inboard, but only because that was the only way I could make them meet. As far as improving flight goes... I'd stay with a Dihedral because this airplane likes to stall, and the stock prop/motor mix wasn't powerful enough to do anything other than a general loop, with plenty of ground below it. My bird also liked to drop like a rock when flying below 1/2 throttle, and I found the ailerons and rudder a bitch touchy. Otherwise, it will gladly carry some weight and LOVES to fly circles around the park. As stated before, be careful on the landing, and expect a bent strut or two until you get used to this one. Or if like me, you are forced to land in grass... Well, mud actually.

On that note, does anyone have any good leads on a alternative LG setup, or replacement struts? I'm not a metal fab guy, so I can't just bang out a piece of Mithrill every time I have a crocked landing.
Eearlyboid is online now Find More Posts by Eearlyboid
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:10 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
170 Posts
Thanks for your input Earlyboid. Regarding the weak landing gear...I was thinking about reinforcing the bends with a filet of JB Weld. Have never tried it, have no idea if it will work.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:29 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,419 Posts
I doubt it will work. Best to find a replacement at the hobby store. The ones on the plane don't break, they bend. If they do bend, just bend them back, it is easily done. That will get you by until you can grab a replacement of quality gear.------Metalguy
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:42 AM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
170 Posts
Thanks Metalguy. Have you mounted your wing flat or with a little dihedral? I have zero experience with this size and type of plane and construction so I'm wondering if pre-stressing the wing into dihedral is a bad idea. If I follow the construction images I must force the wings into a dihedral position. If I simply bolt them up without any stress they are flat with a little droop in the tips. I'm inclined to bolt them on without any stress in the wings.