HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:25 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Tedward, Thank you! Great info. This plane weighs about 6 lbs? Can you run 6s batteries? I have a bunch of 3s but currently no 4s or 2s...
orcas flier is offline Find More Posts by orcas flier
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:25 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
I have tried three more props with the stock motor and fully charged 4cell 40c lipo
Master screw 13 inch 8pitch 3 blade
535 watts and 34.5 amps

Master screw 13 inch 6 pitch 2 blade K series
422 watts and 26.7 amps

APC composite thin electric 14 inch 8.5 pitch 2 blade
534watts and 34 amps

APC composite thin electric 15 inch 7 pitch 2 blade
517 watts and 33.3 amps

I have flown 8 times with the master 3 blade prop and like it the best. This had more take off power than the two blade APC 14 inch. But the spiner fits with the two blade !
I think the 13 inch 6 pitch 2 blade prop should work better for pulling. I am no expert, just a guess. I hope this helps guys.
Having a lota fun flying this airplane . Landing is very easy just comes in like its on rails. I have bent the landing gear struts once... the metal is very soft... easy to bend back. Going to make a new one and install 5 inch wheels for grass
Very easy to take wings on and off.
Cheers
ED
tedward is offline Find More Posts by tedward
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
I do not know if you can use 6 cells or not. Original esc has nothing on it but it came with the xt60 battery conection on it, if that means anything? Changed mine out for 55 amp 4-6 cell.
The original motor has no info on it. Work great on 4cells
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:18 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
I looked at the stock ESC, as I too am going to swap it out for one I at least know the rating of. I will go with a 50 amp opto with a UBEC to power the servos. I will use this speed control on another model, as I just don't see any identifiable marks telling me what it is rated for. I think (!) it is a 40 amp. With the stock prop, I pulled 23 amps, which isn't all that much, but performance isn't stellar with it, either. I have to get some more props to play with on this model. I would like to try a 2 blader with more pitch, and see where that goes. I would like performance like my 1400mm Stuka has, power-wise. tedward, I have 4.5 inch wheels on mine, and it handles grass well. Too bad the aluminum L.G. are so soft. I will just make new ones. Nice model. -----Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:12 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Thanks again metalguy and tedward. The two of you have spread more info regarding this model than anyone else. Your willingness to share your experiences with this plane have encouraged me to get one of these. Now I just need to figure out when I can get to the warehouse. THANKS!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
I looked at the stock ESC, as I too am going to swap it out for one I at least know the rating of. I will go with a 50 amp opto with a UBEC to power the servos. I will use this speed control on another model, as I just don't see any identifiable marks telling me what it is rated for. I think (!) it is a 40 amp. With the stock prop, I pulled 23 amps, which isn't all that much, but performance isn't stellar with it, either. I have to get some more props to play with on this model. I would like to try a 2 blader with more pitch, and see where that goes. I would like performance like my 1400mm Stuka has, power-wise. tedward, I have 4.5 inch wheels on mine, and it handles grass well. Too bad the aluminum L.G. are so soft. I will just make new ones. Nice model. -----Metalguy
Metalguy I ordered 5 inch foam wheels to land on grass.One of my flying buddies e me that foam could absorb water off the grass. I have no experence landing on grass with landing gear other than a funcub that has hard pastic wheels. Our west coast is always wet so what do you think.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:58 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
Depends on the wheels. Mine are closed-foam type wheels, and do not absorb water at all. However, I flew on a snow-covered field in Yakima, and after landing, one wheel grew to about 10" as the snow stuck to it, and built up! It finally just wouldn't turn, and I ended my flying for the day. There was about 3/4" of wet snow on the ground. I think skis would be cool for those winter excursions... I put du-bro axles on my flimsy landing gear that have a 5/16" bolt-on hub, and like them better than the original loooong skinny bolt from the kit. I drilled out the wheel centers to accept the larger 5/32" axle , and ended up making my own nylon hubs for the wheels, as I ended up weakening the hub! Its nice to be a machinist/welder. I definately want a better prop choice for this plane, and will investigate further after Christmas. Tedward, where do you fly at? I am out of Tacoma, and I mainly fly at some of the local schools, but this model is a bit large for them. I am a member of Mount Rainier Radio Control Society (for now), but the field is 1-1/2 hours away! I am always looking for better(closer) places to fly. ----------Metalguy
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:39 AM
Seattle, Washington
Joined Dec 2007
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcas flier View Post
Tedward, Thank you! Great info. This plane weighs about 6 lbs? Can you run 6s batteries? I have a bunch of 3s but currently no 4s or 2s...
6 lbs?
unshackledbuzz is offline Find More Posts by unshackledbuzz
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:07 AM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
According to the latest product brochure from XUAV the makers of this plane:

Flying wt 2740g
Thrust 1063g
Motor 4260-600kv
ESC 40A
Battery 4S 4000 mAh

I've seen two videos of the plane flying and they verify what everyone says; it's a great flying plane. Soft landing gear is the only universal complaint.
No need for a lager motor unless you plan on doing serious 3D.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:56 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
Yah, the main gear is dead soft aluminum. Even a soft landing will spring it. I made new one out of Ti. Just got a 15-8 prop, looking for more "grunt" than the stock prop. I am also replacing the stock ESC, as I have no idea of its quality. I will also be running a separate BEC. ------Metalguy
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Metalguy, are the wheel pants still foam or have those been upgraded?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:34 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
Wheel pants are foam, but I didn't use them, as I fly off grass, and wanted larger wheels.------Metalguy
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:24 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
Swapped in a 50 amp ESC, and am running a ubec. I put on a 15-7 prop, and will give her a spin soon.-------Metalguy
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:55 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
I gave the motor a look see the other day..... its 42mm x 40 mm 12 pole. No markings on it .
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:09 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
I have made new landiing gear out of 0.128 inch al. 2024 t3 using 4 mm axels and 5 inch H.K. foam wheels. Just enough spring action on the gear. Wheels are working well for bumpy landings .