HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:40 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,849 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Super Decathlon 1800mm

Hello, everyone. I just picked up this huge PNF from the US warehouse, and got it as a scratch and dent special. It was 99 dollars, and the only damage to it is the cowling has some cracks! Otherwise, it appears to be a heck of a deal. The US warehouse is in Lakewood, WA, and this plane is available for pick up only, from what I understand. What I was wondering was, does anyone have any info on this model? It is EPO, runs on 4s packs, and is very nice looking. At the price, I may have to get another, just for a spare! I will take pics on the morrow, as I am not near my camera at present.-----Metalguy
metalguy is online now Find More Posts by metalguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
Hello, everyone. I just picked up this huge PNF from the US warehouse, and got it as a scratch and dent special. It was 99 dollars, and the only damage to it is the cowling has some cracks! Otherwise, it appears to be a heck of a deal. The US warehouse is in Lakewood, WA, and this plane is available for pick up only, from what I understand. What I was wondering was, does anyone have any info on this model? It is EPO, runs on 4s packs, and is very nice looking. At the price, I may have to get another, just for a spare! I will take pics on the morrow, as I am not near my camera at present.-----Metalguy
Chomping at the bit, bro!
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:02 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,849 Posts
Pictures, as assembled! I did add some 4-1/2" tires, as I fly off of grass for the most part. I also had not put the bracing wires on the tail feathers as yet. Otherwise, it is as unboxed, and put together. Enjoy!

And yes, that is a full size pool table it is on. This model is big.------Metalguy
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
That is a BEAUTIFUL plane.

Congratulations on a smokin deal.
Konamack is offline Find More Posts by Konamack
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:38 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Hi guys I have flown my Dec 8 times . It fly`s very scale . Just like a real Decathlon . Great flying aircraft. Landing and taking off on pavement with the original wheels. I have used three different battery set ups, 5000 ma , 4000ma, two 2200, all 4 cells. No problems with C/G. Getting 8 min. with 4000ma so far. Large battery box area to play with .I have changed prop to 13in 3 blade 8 pitch. OEM prop was drilled off center . Changed the front landing gear axels to 4mm drilled out old hubs using original wheels. Put a Sullivan 5-12 lbs tail wheel on the back using the original rear wheel {HK sells sullivan`s too}.Replaced the rudder hinges . Packing taped the inside of the engine cowl . Installed a bec. and 55 amp esc. I checked getting 26 amps full power with original out of ballanced prop. Original motor has lotsa power ! I am still working out the best prop and battery combinations . I always put a bigger esc in P.N.P. aircraft. The rest is stock and airframe is well built . This is a screamng deal for 6 foot $100 P.N.P. aircraft . I have also made a engine cowl mold for making new cowls out of two ply fiberglass .
tedward is offline Find More Posts by tedward
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:27 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,849 Posts
I have flown mine once so far' and the only mod was to use pinned hinges on the control'surfaces, and to put 4.5"wheels on it for grass strips. My maiden found the elevator touchy for my taste, but once I calmed my thumbs down, it is a pleasure to fly. I think it could use a different prop size, but will play with that later. I may get some flying in this afternoon, if it stops snowing here in Yakima. I did have to glue in some velcro in the cave called a battery bay, but it is nice to not have to shoehorn a pack in there. I'll throw a camera on it next time I fly, as there is plenty of room to do so. Fun plane, and a bargain. I was able to fix my cowling by putting tape on the back side, and CA in the two cracks. I may make a new one from a 2 liter bottle after I make a plug to shrink it on.-----Metalguy
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
tedward and metalguy...

Thank you both for the information provided here. I've been considering getting one of these since I live close enough to the warehouse to pick one up. Your info has been quite helpful!
orcas flier is offline Find More Posts by orcas flier
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Hi Guys,
I've just started building this model but I've discovered that there are some parts missing from the hardware pack-the tailwheel/rudder horn and the screw for the spinner. Can anyone advise where I might be able to get replacement parts? Kinda in a bind as I bought the model in Switzerland and no suppliers here in the UK appear to have stocked the model.
Thanks,
Bill
Bill400 is offline Find More Posts by Bill400
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:09 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
The original tail wheel hardware is junk Replaced it with a 5-12lbs Sullivan tail wheel kit $6 at H.K. The original rear wheel fits the new Axel. Front wheels are not big enought for grass.
My original prop could not be balanced . I am using a 3 bade 13 inch 8 pitch master screw prop. Lotsa torque nice fast take offs. I am still experimenting with props and batteries
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedward View Post
The original tail wheel hardware is junk Replaced it with a 5-12lbs Sullivan tail wheel kit $6 at H.K. The original rear wheel fits the new Axel. Front wheels are not big enought for grass.
My original prop could not be balanced . I am using a 3 bade 13 inch 8 pitch master screw prop. Lotsa torque nice fast take offs. I am still experimenting with props and batteries
Are you taking wattage measurements? Care to share? Can you identify the motor and...does it require only a 4s battery or is it capable of handling the voltage of 6s? Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:25 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,849 Posts
I will be experimenting with props shortly. The original is a 14" prop, and I bought a 14-7 APC prop as a spare, but after flying it a couple of times, it seems to need more pitch. Just not enough umph! to fly really well. I shall get out the wattmeter, and do some tests, and see what I can come up with. I also need to make a plug to pull new cowls over. I am sure this cowling will explode with any impact. Mine arrived with two cracks along the cowl, but were easily fixed with tape to back it up, and a line of CA glue in the crack. A two-liter bottle should yeild a good cowl. I am thinking of getting another one of these, just because it is such a good deal. After flying a couple of times, I think I will be flying this a lot. I put 4.5 inch foam tires on it, and it handles grass very well now. The stock aluminum undercarriage is junk. No spring to it, and bends easily. I shall make new ones, perhaps out of Titanium, for springiness. Huge presence in the air, and flies well, even underpowered. Tons of space in the battery bay for large batteries, too. and camera gear, and anything else you want to put in there. Nice, scale plane.-------Metalguy
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
181 Posts
Great info Metalguy! Thanks. I might have to make a trip to the Southern Sound for one of these...

So you think the prop is the culprit, not the motor lacking power?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:14 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,849 Posts
Yes, I think it has everything to do with the stock prop. Weird thing is that they painted the prop! It is white, and the paint is flaking off everywhere after just two flights. I have an APC, and will do some tests on both, but I am betting the APC will come out ahead in performance. ------Metalguy
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:26 AM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
To bad HK won't ship the 1800 Decathlon. I was searching around and found a nice 1400 Decathlon at PW-RC. cost more, but looks nice. other than that I don't know anything about it.
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/products_id/2908
check it out.
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:40 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Hi guys
did a run up with 4 cel 40c lipo all cell averaging 4.15 to 4.18
Stock motor with 3 blade 8 pitch 13 inch master screw
535 watts power
34.5 amps
I hope this helps.
I have 11 flights now and new batteries are working better.
4 cell 4000ma getting 10 min. leaving 3.85 to 3.83 per cell